'21 GA QB Aaron McLaughlin (Auburn decommit)

Cool with me that he did. Doesn’t change that most don’t decommit. It usually takes a coach leaving. No clue whose decision it was but he may not like Morris or vice versa. Dilly went to FSU but he just got a 21 commit so not sure they would be why either. I wonder if we will look at him. Our recruiting staff liked his tweet earlier

I’ve never understood the hype with him. He was 14 in 7th grade while Bailey was starting as a FR in 7a as a 14 year old. His numbers are no where near what you would think they would be for someone of his size and ability.

I’ve never understood the hype with him. He was 14 in 7th grade while Bailey was starting as a FR in 7a as a 14 year old. His numbers are no where near what you would think they would be for someone of his size and ability.
Yep. Held back twice. His birthday is just a month from making him too old to play high school football this year. Pass.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Some future casts for Arkansas?

Who does Aubbie go after now?

Felt like Arkansas had a very good shot at him a few months before he committed to Auburn. Those may be old though. Weird thing is that was under Morris and now he is at Auburn.

And
Yep. Held back twice. His birthday is just a month from making him too old to play high school football this year. Pass.
And he has played on talented teams, but he has not really performed. It's not a case of him being stuck on a bad team. I think he is actually a year older than Bailey, but is just now coming up on his SR year. I remember when he was a FR people saying his Dad had held him back to give him a competitive advantage.

Don’t know anything about this cat, but why all the age hate? We’ve got a 21 year old basketball freshman. Some dudes have a full beard at 14 - maybe he was a late bloomer? Anyway, talent is talent no matter the age. If our staff thinks he’s got talent then he’s a take all day

Reactions: justwatch123
And

And he has played on talented teams, but he has not really performed. It's not a case of him being stuck on a bad team. I think he is actually a year older than Bailey, but is just now coming up on his SR year. I remember when he was a FR people saying his Dad had held him back to give him a competitive advantage.
I think number wise Buford really likes to overpower teams running the ball and play defense. He should be big time in college imo...just depends on where he ends up

I think number wise Buford really likes to overpower teams running the ball and play defense. He should be big time in college imo...just depends on where he ends up
He was at Denmark last year though right? I thought he transferred to throw the ball more, but he put up pretty mediocre numbers last season.

Watched his film today. I don't claim to be any QB evaluation expert; just some random moron on the internet :)

That said, the thing that really stood out to me is how slow his passes travel. Watch McLaughlin's highlights versus Harrison Bailey's and you can see a contrast in how they throw the ball. Bailey has a lot of zip on his passes and makes a ton of deep passes into tight windows. Most of McLaughlin's highlights involve an extremely wide open receiver.

That's not to say there aren't thing to like about McLaughlin. He's got a very strong arm and showed an ability to throw some very deep passes. Thought he did a pretty good job knowing when to take off and when to throw. Also thought he showed significant improvement this year (at Denmark) versus last year (at Buford). But I'm a bit curious how his slower release would translate against SEC defenses. Maybe he could adapt, but I feel like a lot of those balls he throws that are hanging in the air for a long time might be more problematic against elite SEC secondaries.

Compared to Christian Veuilleux is interesting. McLaughlin's stats are better than Veuilleux's, but felt like Veuilleux was playing under pressure a lot more. Also felt like Veuilleux had better instincts. However, Veuilleux's low accuracy concerns me a bit, but I'm not sure how much of it is a function of his surrounding cast.

Feel confident saying that Harrison Bailey is better than McLaughlin, but Veuilleux vs McLaughlin is more debatable IMO. Both seem like they could develop into great QBs, but neither are nearly as "game ready" as Bailey is right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrindHARD
Committed to N.C. State. Their writer has them believing he’s the second coming of elway and Marino. Just don’t see it happening
He seems like a major homer. I saw his top 50 in NC articles and he had either Wright or Washington as honorable mention lol. Not even top 50 in the state.

Reactions: griddie

VN Store

Back