'21 GA OT Amarius Mims (Georgia commit)

There’s a different between ‘not getting it’ and ‘disagreeing so vehemently that the only appropriate response is to hit you in the face with a hot curling iron’. Now bring in the dancing lobsters!
Show your facts if you disagree. I stand by mine.

Ok, so I missed it by a game a year. Since the last merger in the SEC in 2012 we are 4th from the bottom. Only Vandy, UK, and Arkansas have worst records. Think about that. Programs like Ole Miss, Missouri, and Miss St. have better records. How does our athletic budget compare to those programs and what is our return on investment?

As I said earlier I am hoping for things to improve but I have a hard time watching our fans dish it out on other programs and coaches that are doing better than we are. We need to build up our program so this conversation is not about other programs.

There you go back to the Dooley/Butch years to try to define the program. Again, that was the down cycle.

To be clear, I just take exception to your “5-7 program” remark. That term is very inaccurate considering the win/loss history of the Vol program.

Regarding Malzahn and Auburn, I really don’t care. If I had to offer an opinion, he’s done pretty decent there, maybe a B or B-.

@1974Vol, I replied to you earlier, when I think I should have replied to onevol74. I believe he was the author of the 5-7 program remark.

I think he's taking our recent years compared to Malzahn's tenure and responding to someone's comment that we'd take his results over what we've had in that same period. Which, when you look at our 6.3 win average, makes sense. Malzahn is no Saban, but he sure beats the hell out of Dooley and Butch...

Thank you, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Reactions: onevol74
Ok, so I missed it by a game a year. Since the last merger in the SEC in 2012 we are 4th from the bottom. Only Vandy, UK, and Arkansas have worst records. Think about that. Programs like Ole Miss, Missouri, and Miss St. have better records. How does our athletic budget compare to those programs and what is our return on investment?

As I said earlier I am hoping for things to improve but I have a hard time watching our fans dish it out on other programs and coaches that are doing better than we are. We need to build up our program so this conversation is not about other programs.
1.3 games difference. Over 10 years, that is 13 wins you are shorting them. So, yeah, it is material. We haven't been a 5 win program, not even during this worst decade.

If you look at my post you will see that I was responding to another poster who was putting a qualifier on Mahlzan. He was saying that if you take out Gus’ best seasons he was an average coach. Same is true for any coach. Look at Fulmer if you exempt 1995-1998. He won no SEC titles outside of those years even with superior talent. You can put a qualifier on anything and make it look like you want it to appear.

I was just noting that the same is actually factual with our program until things change. We are a 5-7 program if you take out the 8 wins we had this last year by beating teams with losing records. I just do not see how we do not look at our own program with the same objectivity that we do other programs. If it is negative to some, so be it, and I am looking for things to get better. I think most prognosticators have us pegged for 7-5, or maybe 8-4 this year. That basically puts us in the middle of the SEC and is some progress of the 5-7 program we have demonstrated in recent years. Results are not based on prognostications but games won on the field and I hope we show them up at the end of the season.

But it is amazing just how shallow some people interpret postings on this site.
So except for the most recent record Tennessee had, they are a record they had the year before that. Dumbest take ever.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

VN Store

Back