'20 GA OLB Romello Height (Miami commit)

Romello Height was offered by UT today. Will Friend was down at his school and offered. He has also been in communication with Chris Rumph the last few days.

He said UT just started showing interest and he is now planning to visit in the next couple of weeks.

I will have a full update Tuesday.

- Simmons

Romello Height is a linebacker in Dublin, Ga. that is eyeing a summer decision. He would like to have his recruitment behind him as he enters his final high school season, and if he doesn't, he will put it off until December. The 6-foot-4, 210 pound junior will be limited in spring practice coming off shoulder surgery, but that won't slow down the traffic from college coaches.

Tennessee stopped by Monday and the Vols did not leave before offering. "I was a little surprised by the Tennessee offer because they just started showing interest three days ago," said Height. "Coach Will Friend came down and coach Chris Rumph started hitting me up on Twitter over the weekend. "I got the offer and they think I can play for them. They said they like my film and they want me to visit." The first visit to Knoxville should take place in the near future.

"I am supposed to visit in the next two weeks. I want to get up there, see their facilities, look around and see what it is like. Tennessee is an SEC, and I like how they play in the SEC, so it is a school I am interested in. "I have watched them on TV, but I do not know too much about them yet. That is why I want to visit soon."

A school he does know a lot about is Georgia Tech. Height has taken a few visits to Atlanta, including one Friday night for the first spring game under head coach Geoff Collins. The in-state school still holds the lead. "Oh yeah, Georgia Tech is still on top. I was up there for the spring game and it was lit. It was a live crown, the fans were into it and I loved how the defense was always there to make plays. "I really think Georgia Tech is on the come up. It is not too far from home, the coaches are so cool and I think I could do well in the defense."

Another ACC school is right behind Georgia Tech. Virginia, among others are still in this race. "I have scheduled an official visit to Virginia in June (21-23) and I liked my visit up there a lot," said Height. "They treated me like family, I was cool with the players and I felt good up there. "Florida, Kansas, Vanderbilt, UCF, and now Tennessee are others up there for me right now. I have started talking to Kansas about a summer official visit too, but it is not set yet. "My next visit will likely be to Tennessee or UCF."

- Rivals

Romello Height left for Kentucky and Miami last week with about six or seven schools running neck-and-neck for his services. After official visits to Lexington and Coral Gables, a leader has emerged. "Kentucky is No. 1 on my list," said Height. "I got up there and I loved everything. I got to spend a lot of time with the coaches, I met a lot of players and it all was great. "I love the facilities, the nutrition program, the academics and all of it.

"If there was one main reason they are now on top, it would be the coaches, They communicate so well and I really got to know them. I spent a lot of time with coach Sumrall and coach White. They went over how they want to use me and they want me to play the role Josh Allen played. I saw a lot I liked up there."

Although the Hurricanes aren't on top, they still made a big move. "I did not know a lot about Miami before the visit, but after getting down there and seeing everything, I have moved them to No. 2. "It was really lit down there. The city is awesome. I really like the coaches too. They like more as a defensive end that will stand up some and drop into coverage. I got to spend a lot of time with coach Stroud too, and he is great. "Overall, Miami was great and it really made a strong impression on me."

Tennessee is next to get a visit, and like the trip to Miami, it will be Height's first time to Knoxville. It is a school he has wanted to see for some time. "I can't wait to get up to Tennessee and just see what it is like," said Height. "It has always been a school I have liked. I like their physical style of play and I want to spend time with the coaches and just talk ball with them. "I want to get up there for an unofficial visit and see what it is all about."

Height's list is still very fluid, and with the star defender out of Dublin (Ga.) planning to commit September (Father's birthday), his list could get a little shorter later this summer. He listed Florida No. 3 and Georgia Tech No. 4 at this time. He said a school he wants to visit officially early in September is USC. He said the Gators will definitely receive an official visit as well.

-Chad Simmons, Rivals

Reactions: RoaminVol
Tennessee’s quest for pass rush help in the 2020 class saw a relatively new name visit for two days this weekend. Peach State product Romello Height out of Dublin (Ga.) attended the cookout on Friday and then watched camp on Saturday. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound outside linebacker picked up his Tennessee offer at the end of April.

“The visit has been very smooth. The campus is nice. I like the way the coaches coach, interact with the players,” Height said of his first look at Tennessee. “It’s so nice here. I like facilities. The dorms right next to the facility.”

Height holds more than 20 offers, but Tennessee just recently joined the conversation. Miami and Georgia Tech are both top schools for the 3-star ‘backer, with Kentucky recently making a move as well after a strong official visit.

Height said he really enjoyed the “relaxed atmosphere” on his first look at Tennessee, noting he had a lot of fun during the “scavenger hunt and 3-point contest” at the cookout. He also had a chance to tour the campus and sit down for a 1-on-1 conversation with linebackers coach Kevin Sherrer. “They like that I’m quick. I have good length,” he said. “I can get to the quarterback. Easy.”

For Height, the weekend visit was about seeing where he stands on the Vols’ board. Thus far, communication has been fairly limited, but he expects contact to pickup heading into the dead period. “Coach Friend ain’t my position coach but we text a lot. When we talk we talk. It ain’t consistent but I think it should be consistent. It will be now,” Height explained. “I got to talk to coach (Pruitt). I want more contact with him, too. We had good talk today. I just want to build a bond with all the coaches. Talk to them more.”

Height has three official visits left, and Tennessee is now in the conversation for the one of the final three trips. He will visit Auburn unofficially after the dead period in July and then take some trips in September. Florida, USC, Vandy, Tennessee and Virginia are all in the mix for one.

“I got to take three more. That’s why I’m making the rounds,” he said. “I want to make my decision on my Dad’s birthday in September (21st). If I don’t make it then it’ll be on signing day in December.”

-VQ

VN Store

Back