‘23 GA LB Jalen Smith (Tennessee commit)

It’s unquestionable that Garner doesn’t coach linebackers…or the Star position.

But, if the star position player, due to the defensive call, is put on the defensive line as an extra outside rusher, Garner makes the defensive line call...That is unquestionable too.

With his skill set, Jalen Smith will be an extremely versatile player, which will only strengthen the integrity of the defense.....No matter where the young man lines up, or which defensive coach is making the call for a particular play, hopefully, he will excel....

Reactions: T Dog
But, if the star position player, due to the defensive call, is put on the defensive line as an extra outside rusher, Garner makes the defensive line call...That is unquestionable too.

With his skill set, Jalen Smith will be an extremely versatile player, which will only strengthen the integrity of the defense.....No matter where the young man lines up, or which defensive coach is making the call for a particular play, hopefully, he will excel....
The Star position is coached by Martinez. IF it were coached up as a pass rusher (it’s not) that would be Ekeler…not Garner.

How does someone watch his tape (against the best competition in ga) and make him a 3 star 😂 he has speed, hits hard, and seems decisive in attacking the gaps in the line.. im sure he’ll get that 4th star from 247 this year
The Trieu quote earlier made it seem more based on the frame and measuresables

How does someone watch his tape (against the best competition in ga) and make him a 3 star 😂 he has speed, hits hard, and seems decisive in attacking the gaps in the line.. im sure he’ll get that 4th star from 247 this year

Because the recruiting nerds don’t care about film. They don’t have the ability to evaluate. They use far less objective factors in formulating their rankings.

Reactions: FairburnVol
BOOM!
iu

Saban gave the name "Star" to the position in the base 4-2-5 defense, which is what the Vols often run on defense....

He and Kirby, also went on to say that the "Star position" is the key position to the success of the defensive performance....

Last season Theo Jackson played a lot of the Star position, but all too often the defense was not able to get off the field for a variety of reasons.......

If the Star position performance is improved upon this season, perhaps the defense will improve it's symbiotic cohesive performance.....

Smith looks like a natural fit for the Star positron role when he gets here...

I have watched alot of film over the years. I have never seen such a discrepancy in stars compared to the video. He has 5 star highlights. Insane speed to get to the ball carrier and is violent. Besides Nico, he has my favorite highlights. Kid is severely underrated. Kinda reminds me of David Long on the Titans. Undersized maybe (247 has him at 6ft, on3 has him at 6'2) but a missile flying around the field. He's going to be one of the best players in this class.

I have watched alot of film over the years. I have never seen such a discrepancy in stars compared to the video. He has 5 star highlights. Insane speed to get to the ball carrier and is violent. Besides Nico, he has my favorite highlights. Kid is severely underrated. Kinda reminds me of David Long on the Titans. Undersized maybe (247 has him at 6ft, on3 has him at 6'2) but a missile flying around the field. He's going to be one of the best players in this class.

I think it’s his size that’s caused the lower rating. RC said he was officially measured at 6’ even by UT staff when he visited and he doesn’t have a huge frame. That of course doesn’t mean he can’t be great because as RC said, most of being a great LB is instincts and he has them

Saban gave the name "Star" to the position in the base 4-2-5 defense, which is what the Vols often run on defense....

He and Kirby, also went on to say that the "Star position" is the key position to the success of the defensive performance....

Last season Theo Jackson played a lot of the Star position, but all too often the defense was not able to get off the field for a variety of reasons.......

If the Star position performance is improved upon this season, perhaps the defense will improve it's symbiotic cohesive performance.....

Jackson was arguably our best player on Defense last year. I would not expect an improvement at the star this year, although I could be wrong.

Linebacker coverage ability and a lack of a disruptive DL/Edge was our Achilles heel last year.

What blows my mind is Jalen Smith and Pappoe are the exact same size, same school, same position, same competition. But in his first year starting Smith broke Pappoes records. Yet Smith is ranked 400 spots lower
Pappoe’s ranking was because of hype that started his 8th grade year.

I think it’s his size that’s caused the lower rating. RC said he was officially measured at 6’ even by UT staff when he visited and he doesn’t have a huge frame. That of course doesn’t mean he can’t be great because as RC said, most of being a great LB is instincts and he has them
Georgia’s ILB was 6’ this past season and he was a missle!

If Smith has Pappoe's career, at least his sophomore year, we will be pleased.

Our gain. Can't teach speed and instincts, he has both. Long is 5'11 and 227. Big 12 defensive player of the year, 2nd team All American and will be a starting NFL LB for the next decade. Caused the Titans to move on from former 1st round pick Rashaan Evans and Jayon Brown. If you can play, you can play. People get too caught up in numbers. Jalen has a bright future here and in the NFL down the road.

Reactions: bigl3327

Natural fit for ILB, especially when he fills out that frame. Star is a hybrid DB. Theo represented very well. We “couldn’t get off the field” because our INSIDE LINEBACKERS struggled.

Natural fit for ILB, especially when he fills out that frame. Star is a hybrid DB. Theo represented very well. We “couldn’t get off the field” because our INSIDE LINEBACKERS struggled.
Problem is his frame is small so he can’t put on too much good size

But he should be good regardless

Problem is his frame is small so he can’t put on too much good size

But he should be good regardless
I don’t see a small frame. Guess I should go to medical school. Any cheap ones you guys would recommend? 🤔

VN Store

Back