'24 GA DL Jeremias Heard (Tennessee commit)

Sorry I haven’t been following recruiting like normal but this mofo is 6’7 and a DL? Goodness gracious….. when’s the last time we’ve had a 6’7 DL?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Sorry I haven’t been following recruiting like normal but this mofo is 6’7 and a DL? Goodness gracious….. when’s the last time we’ve had a 6’7 DL?
91-doug-atkinsjpg.jpg

Taking a project at OL is a lot different than WR, especially OT. I’ll let you decide which position is easier to learn/play.

Hint: it’s not WR

Anyways, not saying you’re wrong about taking them. Just think we are in a spot where we shouldn’t have to take one. GFW even said this in the Okoye thread. We’re in on a ton of OL and DL.
But here's the thing. As early as it is in the cycle, some of our commits will not ultimately sign. I am not saying that we will process them, but stuff happens. There are also dudes that none of us know about who may very well be part of the class. I don't mind taking anyone early. This staff has proven to be very honest and upfront with the kids and that gives me confidence that this class will be fantastic.

Depending on who you believe, UTSports had Darrel Middleton measured at 6’7.

Reactions: SugarCC
Spencer Riley was another. Fred Weary was recruited as a OL/DL guy.
Didn’t always hear all of the minutiae back in the day. I’d get most of my scuttlebutt from KNS following Spring Practice and Fall Camp. You’d blink and someone was playing a different position than what you read on the USA Today signing day reports and the ole reliable preseason magazines.

From the VQ chat Monday night…

Should we go ahead and consider Jeremias Heard an OT? Or is the thought that he’ll get every chance at DL before making the move?

“I think he's an OT.” - Hubbs

Great size for an OT. I wonder if he plays on the OL in high school too.

And your denial isn't my problem.

There's enough of you damn coach worshipers running around here.

We always have them. Even had them with Butch and Pruitt.
It's annoying...

Respecting the decisions on extending offers by a staff is NOT in any way worship of them. Especially this early in the cycle. Post or late signing day backups are a horse of different color. Those compelled to shower the world with their brilliance without any more data elements than the staffers making the decision ON A CONSISTENT BASIS is what it is also. Guess that would be a horse's ass of a different color. Certainly no shortage of those around here. Application of discretion would be welcomed around here.

And your denial isn't my problem.

There's enough of you damn coach worshipers running around here.

We always have them. Even had them with Butch and Pruitt.
It's annoying...
I think Heupel is a more credible judge and developer of talent than either of those guys.

He may be right or wrong but I respect his right to make that call.

The expectation I have is that he has more information and uses that information to recruit and sign the right guys. If he doesn't and cannot win and continue to progress the program... then I have never been shy about stating the ultimate standard that has to apply to every coach whether I "like" them or hate them. I "liked" Pruitt. He was a goober but I didn't think he was a fraud. I did not like Jones specifically because he was a fake. But I supported both getting a fair shot and getting credit or blame for the results.

I happen to like Heupel quite a bit... and he still needs to build a talented, winning roster.

From the VQ chat Monday night…

Should we go ahead and consider Jeremias Heard an OT? Or is the thought that he’ll get every chance at DL before making the move?

“I think he's an OT.” - Hubbs

Hubbs using the words "I think" doesn't bring much to the table.

Reactions: onevol74
Didn’t the young man say in an interview he would try defense first? It’s no big deal where he lands if he produces and is clad in orange.

Didn’t the young man say in an interview he would try defense first? It’s no big deal where he lands if he produces and is clad in orange.
No one inside the football program has talked about him playing offense. That's all been speculation from the talking heads because of his height and athleticism.

VN Store

Back