'19 GA CB Jordan Huff (GT commit)

Yea it’s the same friend that taught me Pruitt’s system... from A to Z.

I know you were catching flack the other day about your coach speak but I for one appreciate it. I’ve only been coaching for a few years and my background is in basketball and combat sports. So feel free to spread the knowledge sir.

Reactions: 4 people
I have it from a friend that they are recruiting ability... so it goes like this. Things the look for:
1.) Flexibility in hips, knees, ankle, bend
2.) strength explosion, leverage, mobility (hips,feet,ankles,wrist)
3.) ability to track, decision making, mentality, athleticism, intangibles

That list is a lot longer and a lot more detailed but the main point is they look for athletic ability and talent at their postion. They recruit athleticism and find their spot in further recruitment. Also, that is why their camp is such a BIG DEAL.

You mean they don't just see stars throw names in a hat and just pick one like some VOL fans must think.... Since apparently Pruitt doesn't know what he is doing according to them? 🙅🤷🤯😂

Reactions: 1 person
I know you were catching flack the other day about your coach speak but I for one appreciate it. I’ve only been coaching for a few years and my background is in basketball and combat sports. So feel free to spread the knowledge sir.

Thank you sir. That actually means something coming from you. That background will help you out a lot. If you have any questions let me know and if I can’t answer it I will try to find out. I will do the same. I appreciate the info you bring as well!

What do you coach or what postion?

Thank you sir. That actually means something coming from you. That background will help you out a lot. If you have any questions let me know and if I can’t answer it I will try to find out. I will do the same. I appreciate the info you bring as well!

What do you coach or what postion?

OC and quarterbacks.

Lol you could probably teach me some thing then... I’m a defense guy. How did you get to be an OC and QB coach with a background like that? OL I could understand.

My son is our qb. He showed some promise at an early age so I started taking him to camps and picking coaches brains. I started putting him through extra drills from camps and clinics and what not and somehow ended up his coach.

My son is our qb. He showed some promise at an early age so I started taking him to camps and picking coaches brains. I started putting him through extra drills from camps and clinics and what not and somehow ended up his coach.

That’s awesome man! I will become a father on September 21st or around then whenever he decides to arrive....

Whenever you see QB’s throw, what do you look for? Coaching Points?

Also, how do you teach reading coverages?

Reactions: 4 people
That’s awesome man! I will become a father on September 21st or around then whenever he decides to arrive....

Whenever you see QB’s throw, what do you look for? Coaching Points?

Also, how do you teach reading coverages?

First off congrats! Kids are amazing. Equal parts incredibly frustrating and unbelievably amazing. Kinda like being a Vol fan lol

With Qbs, I look at the arm last. I start with the feet. Making sure they keep a good base, that the feet aren’t dancing and they keep a good bend at the knees. Then I watch the hips. I know swivel gets talked about mostly with dbs but it’s equally important with the passer. It’s where you generate power, much like a boxer throwing a punch. Last I look at the arm. How the hold the ball, where the elbow is, when and how they release the ball, and then the follow through. Qbs don’t have to have a rocket arm to throw the ball with pace and accuracy.

First off congrats! Kids are amazing. Equal parts incredibly frustrating and unbelievably amazing. Kinda like being a Vol fan lol

With Qbs, I look at the arm last. I start with the feet. Making sure they keep a good base, that the feet aren’t dancing and they keep a good bend at the knees. Then I watch the hips. I know swivel gets talked about mostly with dbs but it’s equally important with the passer. It’s where you generate power, much like a boxer throwing a punch. Last I look at the arm. How the hold the ball, where the elbow is, when and how they release the ball, and then the follow through. Qbs don’t have to have a rocket arm to throw the ball with pace and accuracy.

Where do you want the elbow... are we talking a solid 90degress or less? Also, have you heard the debate about a c release and a U release? C release being the fingers on top of the ball and the U being traditional U shape of the hand wheneve they release.

Where do you want the elbow... are we talking a solid 90degress or less? Also, have you heard the debate about a c release and a U release? C release being the fingers on top of the ball and the U being traditional U shape of the hand wheneve they release.

As far as c vs u, I think it’s more important for the kid to feel comfortable with the ball. And I’m not as mandatory on 90 degrees. For me I teach them to hold it high to eliminate the big wind up. We work on release more than anything. Angle, speed, and trajectory.

As far as c vs u, I think it’s more important for the kid to feel comfortable with the ball. And I’m not as mandatory on 90 degrees. For me I teach them to hold it high to eliminate the big wind up. We work on release more than anything. Angle, speed, and trajectory.

How do you teach angle, speed, trajectory? Also release time? How many reads do
You give him?

Keeping it up is the key, especially if he plays baseball and pitches as well. One thing that hurt Dobbs imo

How do you teach angle, speed, trajectory? Also release time? How many reads do
You give him?

I try not to overwhelm him. He’s still young. Our playbook has 4 formations and 4 plays out of each formation. He has one play out of each that has a possible audible, but it’s more of a wr checkdown (if the db is playing off and leaning back we throw the quick out, if the db is up we throw a slant or a go), and that’s just a look between the two players. The oline just fires off the line pass or run and we run some off tackle plays that he tells the rb which direction to go based off of a leg kick.

As far as mechanics, he has to warm up without a ball for about 15-20 minutes. He has cones he has to hit with his feet and we have ropes that hang from the porch that he has to hit with elbow, shoulder, and hands. And then we add a ball.

I try not to overwhelm him. He’s still young. Our playbook has 4 formations and 4 plays out of each formation. He has one play out of each that has a possible audible, but it’s more of a wr checkdown (if the db is playing off and leaning back we throw the quick out, if the db is up we throw a slant or a go), and that’s just a look between the two players. The oline just fires off the line pass or run and we run some off tackle plays that he tells the rb which direction to go based off of a leg kick.

As far as mechanics, he has to warm up without a ball for about 15-20 minutes. He has cones he has to hit with his feet and we have ropes that hang from the porch that he has to hit with elbow, shoulder, and hands. And then we add a ball.

Yea I know a lot of coaches that use the 4 rule. Hey seriously (I don’t know how far you are in install but check out all 6) it is a video on YouTube by this guy that runs the air raid and bases everything out of verticals. Whenever I become a HC I firmly believe I will use it as a 2:00 offense. You have all verts and then you can tag whatever you want for whichever receiver you want... it is extremely simple and highly effective. Every play can be different but you aren’t teaching anything different. You add in a couple 2 or 3 choice routes from a 1 hi or 2 hi look rule and you’re golden. Inside or outside zone with a power and counter.... that’s a cheap offense that would be great if you wanna keep it simple.

X...................……O..O..X..O..O...........Y
............S.................................................,....,,,...Z
___________________Q
_____________________T
This is the formation obviously can be modified.

“Been on campus several times this spring. He's long and can run — two skills that Pruitt definitely values at CB. The State decommitment not a huge surprise. Vols definitely among the main contenders, Louisville, too.”

Simonton

Reactions: 6 people

Ok if you wish to have a conversation about 'structured throwing', drop me a PM.

:hi:

247 wrote an article about him decommitting. They don't do that for every Vol target who decommits. Tells me he's probably committing to the Vols

Reactions: 2 people
247 wrote an article about him decommitting. They don't do that for every Vol target who decommits. Tells me he's probably committing to the Vols

Possibly. Or it’s dead period and they reaching for content to pump out.

Personally I think he’s a Vol. just playing devils advocate

Another Michigan State commit stolen, it seems. Georgia boy, Vols target that got misdirected northward. Now headed south and despite official visits to Ga. Tech and Louisville, talks like a Vol.

VN Store

Back