'20 GA ATH Arik Gilbert (LSU commit)

Rivals said:
Alabama landed the first official visit from Arik Gilbert
in June. There was some chatter that he was going to commit before his senior season and that the Crimson Tide were in a great spot. Part of that last statement is true.
It appears Nick Saban's program is really trending here for the No. 1 tight end in the country, but this race looks to be far from over.
Rivals.com has confirmed two more official visits have been scheduled, with a third in the works. The fifth and final official visit is still up in the air.
This weekend, the five-star out of Marietta (Ga.) will be at Clemson for an unofficial visit. Gilbert has decided that he will take an official visit to Clemson as well and that could be finalized this weekend. There is no date set yet.

Clemson has kind of jumped back in this race late in the summer. The communication between the two was not too strong in the spring and early summer, but it has really ramped up recently. Gilbert spurned numerous schools late in July to visit Clemson.
Next weekend looks to be an open weekend for Gilbert. That could change, but for now, it is open.
On September 21, everyone and their brother appears to be set to visit Athens to see Georgia host Notre Dame. Some have reported that Gilbert will be between the hedges, even for his official visit, but at this time, that is not the plan.

College Station is where Gilbert will be the weekend of September 21 to see Texas A&M host Auburn. He and his mother visited the Aggies over spring break and Jimbo Fisher and his staff made a strong impression.
Just because Gilbert won't be in Athens that weekend doesn't mean Georgia has slid down his list. Georgia is now set to host the No. 2 prospect in their state for an official visit October 19, when they play Kentucky.
With the Alabama official visit behind him, official visits to Georgia and Texas A&M locked in, and Clemson in line to receive one, there is only one left. Who will receive that? That is still to be determined.

We have been told it could be LSU, it could be Tennessee, or it could be USC. That has not been determined yet.
Numerous schools look to still be in this race. There is no doubt, on the outside, Alabama is the school trending here, and they have been for a couple of months. Clemson is one school that is really gaining some momentum. Tennessee has been talked about a lot, especially with his teammates/friends
Harrison Bailey committed there. Then you have Georgia, the in-state school, that a year ago, everyone had almost as a lock to land Gilbert.
Can you sleep on Texas A&M? The Aggies still appear to be on the outside looking in, but you could almost say the same about Georgia on this day.
There is still a lot of time for things to change in Gilbert's recruitment. He wants to make a decision as soon as possible, but at this time, he is not ready, and the end does not appear to be in sight just yet.

LOL we may not even get a visit...smh

LOL we may not even get a visit...smh
There must be some fire behind the smoke to the rumor that he does not want to play with Washington. I think Washington is slated to visit UGA on ND weekend and so that's funny that AG moves or avoids visiting that weekend. I guess if DW ends up coming here as AV seems pretty confident he will, that will foreclose us getting AG. Either way, I'd be glad to just have one of them, especially in light of recent events.

Reactions: yabo
Georgia still in the running to land both Washington and Gilbert and all the while we still don't know if AG will even make an OV to us???
This doesn't look good to me at all. :oops:

Georgia still in the running to land both Washington and Gilbert and all the while we still don't know if AG will even make an OV to us???
This doesn't look good to me at all. :oops:

What did you expect? You think either one of Gilbert or Washington are thinking about coming here after what they have seen? I mean come on. We arent getting either one.

What did you expect? You think either one of Gilbert or Washington are thinking about coming here after what they have seen? I mean come on. We arent getting either one.
Saw an article today on 247 by that Blair Angulo who is lead expert on Washington who said Bama and UGA are his leaders but us, Miami, and Penn State were still on the radar in his Top 5. I can't imagine the shatshow of the last 2 weeks has helped us.

Just thought I would share. Gilbert Sr was at the JV game last night between Marietta and McEachern and was wearing a Tennessee shirt.
@secking, interesting thread at Bama Online tonight, regarding Gilbert. Sounds like this may be another one of Kirby's patented recruiting rope-a-dopes.

Saw an article today on 247 by that Blair Angulo who is lead expert on Washington who said Bama and UGA are his leaders but us, Miami, and Penn State were still on the radar in his Top 5. I can't imagine the shatshow of the last 2 weeks has helped us.

I would say that if we truly are still on the radar its pretty far down. I cant imagine Gilbert or Washington wanting to play for a program is as bad as ours.

@secking, interesting thread at Bama Online tonight, regarding Gilbert. Sounds like this may be another one of Kirby's patented recruiting rope-a-dopes.
I am aware and I’m still telling that TN is in it. Tinsley is helping that endeavor but so is Ojulari. It’s no secret that UGA coming into this recruiting season was the competition. I do think it was TN that did a great job making him question some things, let’s see how that plays out.

I still believe Washington to UGA.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
I am aware and I’m still telling that TN is in it. Tinsley is helping that endeavor but so is Ojulari. It’s no secret that UGA coming into this recruiting season was the competition. I do think it was TN that did a great job making him question some things, let’s see how that plays out.

I still believe Washington to UGA.

If Gilbert goes to UGA and we get Washington....does Theo get mad with Gilbert going to UGA? I'm curious and haven't seen anything posted regarding it. I'm assuming Arik has no barring on Theo does it?

If Gilbert goes to UGA and we get Washington....does Theo get mad with Gilbert going to UGA? I'm curious and haven't seen anything posted regarding it. I'm assuming Arik has no barring on Theo does it?
Staring down 1-7 or 2-6, I don’t see any being Vols. Other coaches are negative recruiting like crazy right now.

I believe Theo wants to play with Washington if he chooses not to be The Man at one of his other choices. Iowa is on him hard and they are the current TEU, Michigan is close to parents, and Penn St going all in, Theo has better numbers than the other two. Faster, higher vertical, shuttle, etc.

Even with the slow start, recruits still look at playing time and relationships above all else. W/L is honestly down the list so don’t count out UT for most of these guys.

I believe Theo wants to play with Washington if he chooses not to be The Man at one of his other choices. Iowa is on him hard and they are the current TEU, Michigan is close to parents, and Penn St going all in, Theo has better numbers than the other two. Faster, higher vertical, shuttle, etc.

Even with the slow start, recruits still look at playing time and relationships above all else. W/L is honestly down the list so don’t count out UT for most of these guys.

Thank you, was just highly curious.

Reactions: secking

I agree it’s about relationships. But these kids have good relationships with multiple staffs. And when your competition is telling the kid that relationship you have built with CJP and Neids is great, but they won’t be coaching at UT in 2020 or 2021, it’s very effective.

More than PT or relationships, kids want stability. And evidence of development. Need some players to be in the draft conversation before ESD.

Last edited:
Reactions: secking and cnick14
I agree it’s about relationships. But these kids have good relationships with multiple staffs. And when your competition is telling the kid that relationship you have built with CJP and Neids is great, but they won’t be coaching at UT in 2020 or 2021, it’s very effective.

More than PT or relationships, kids want stability.
I can agree with that, hot seat talk can be the most damaging but it’s easily dispelled if the recruit visits. HC/AD can say everyone is on the hot seat if they don’t do their job, at any school. For instance, noticed Washington liked a tweet that said Wolf had more yards last Saturday alone than he had all of last year for TN but didn’t see anything negative from him about UT’s start.

Kids don’t think bigger picture (they probably should) but we know they don’t. They are in their own world but to be fair to them, their world is extremely busy, especially a high profile recruit. Any down time they have is filled with coaches calling or texting.

Not sure if UT is recruiting Theo. Think Theo's top 2 are Michigan and UGA.

That gets old. He is good enough, he won't have to worry about PT.

Both Gilbert and Washington are that good. Thats why I believe the early playing time is bunk. I just see no way either of those guys can look at TN, now easily the worst P5 teams in the entire country, and think that thats the place they want to play. Especially when both have their pick of the best programs in the country.

Reactions: overseasorange2

VN Store

Back