'20 GA ATH Arik Gilbert (LSU commit)

Damn UGA running 3rd for Gilbert? Wild how things can and do change in recruiting so quickly. This kid was a LOCK to UGA for a long time.
Yep, told y’all when he decided he was a non blocking WR, I didn’t see him at UGA. DRob (former #1 WR) didn’t play last year until he started blocking. Going to be fun to watch how it shakes out.

Beat florida and hes ours imo.
i don't think it works like that, but i'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

i think more than anything, he wants to see the WR's and TE's have a good year, and for Arik, just what the offense is really going to look like, how he fits, and what kind of difference does he make....

i think it's going to be interesting to see what kind of match ups Chaney can generate....who does he get freed up, and why, and how AG can work in an offense that's getting a speed upgrade outside, should have a better run game, and improved o line and eihter a 5th year Sr. QB or his buddie throwing him the ball.

throw in a darnell washington and Rak Jarrett, and it's a defensive nightmare. pick one or even two....you still gotta a guy on the field that can make you look silly.

so i think how some of that looks, no matter the result, will be important.

and apparently we need to be able to establish that earlier than later if he's going to pull the trigger mid season now......

Reactions: SweetasSoda
The worst are those Jokers the rush in on the last day before commitment to place their pick. It's like filling out your NCAA bracket on the weekend of the Final Four
Don't get much for those. CB points are based on how long ago you predicted it. Last second ones are worth tiddly winks

Don't get much for those. CB points are based on how long ago you predicted it. Last second ones are worth tiddly winks
It used to be like that, no longer the case. The only points is if you are right/wrong. Time placed doesn’t matter any longer. Last 4 times Rusty put in a CB, a commitment came within a couple hours. They are going to have to wait a couple weeks on Evans.

It used to be like that, no longer the case. The only points is if you are right/wrong. Time placed doesn’t matter any longer. Last 4 times Rusty put in a CB, a commitment came within a couple hours. They are going to have to wait a couple weeks on Evans.

Ahh didn't know thanks. Strange though. Not that I care who the best CB pickers are. I trust Callahan and Warren, maybe Rusty, and the rest are wishy washy.

Reactions: secking
Damn UGA running 3rd for Gilbert? Wild how things can and do change in recruiting so quickly. This kid was a LOCK to UGA for a long time.
I've said either here or in the Washington thread recently that for several weeks at least their boards have been acting like they didn't think they were going to get Gilbert. They seem to be much higher on their prospects of getting Washington. Wiltfong backed both of those sentiments up. AV seemed to indicate the opposite, it's hard to know what to make of it, but it's really amazing we are in it for all of these 5 stars (Washington, Gilbert, Smalls and Sewell), coming off 9-15 the last 2 years. It's a testament to this staff's recruiting ability and the financial backing the university is now throwing at the football program. We're spending like big boys, and are running with them. If we can couple that with just some freaking success on the field, watch out. The sleeping giant may just be awakening.

Since I don't subscribe to 247 (and probably never will) I didn't know that they had a actual points Gathering competition.

So is it truly a consensus he doesn't want to block or he doesn't want to block with his hand starting in the dirt? Maybe I'm just old school, but it seems physical blocking from the wide recievers down field leads to success and would be expected from any of his listed top teams.

Ahh didn't know thanks. Strange though. Not that I care who the best CB pickers are. I trust Callahan and Warren, maybe Rusty, and the rest are wishy washy.
Nee, Watts, Mansell, Callahan, Niebuhr for me. Wiltfong is in his own league. He does change his but on decision day, he’s right around 95% if it’s scheduled but he’s done literally 1,000s.

So is it truly a consensus he doesn't want to block or he doesn't want to block with his hand starting in the dirt? Maybe I'm just old school, but it seems physical blocking from the wide recievers down field leads to success and would be expected from any of his listed top teams.
Probably just sour grape narrative from UGA fans upset because he's likely ending up somewhere else now after they led for years.

He didn’t block at all last night. Think he will be fine once on campus but recruiting has done him no favors.

Probably just sour grape narrative from UGA fans upset because he's likely ending up somewhere else now after they led for years.
I think the game last night is up on YouTube. Some compare him to Gronk, but Gronk likes to block.
“He likes to block and takes pride in having a good block. He gets excited about that. I think he enjoys that part of the game. He does a pretty good job," Belichick said of Gronkowski.

AG is the one mentioning blocking, not the recruiting guys. You know I praise kids when I can, being honest I’m scratching my head on what he’s thinking. I do think once on campus, he will see the light. None of the 3 finalists are going to let him dictate what he will or won’t do. Can you imagine a kid telling Pruitt, Saban, or Smart what he won’t do?

Think he will be fine, but derecruitment is coming for him.

Reactions: Sleegro and AaronUT
UGA fans think they are getting Washington and Johnson, if that doesn't happen there will be sour grapes. As to the blocking thing, there is some smoke there. I've heard from several sources on hand that Gilbert played exclusively WR last night and didn't block much. He definitely does NOT want to play TE in college. That's okay though, he'll definitely have to block to play at UT but there is always a level of de-recruitment that has to occur with these guys realizing they are not the center of the universe and have to buy-in to get on the field. Besides, there is a big difference between having to block corners as a WR and linebackers and defensive ends as a TE, and we've committed to him playing WR and we did so a while back, which I think has really given us an edge. CJP will see that he's appropriately physical. Let's get him on board.

i think he lined up on the end of the line a copule times last night in goal line or short yardage and never even put his hand in the dirt.....lol.

i think he's been sold on the WR thing.....can't blame him or anyone wanting him to stay outside.

he's a freak.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
UGA fans think they are getting Washington and Johnson, if that doesn't happen there will be sour grapes. As to the blocking thing, there is some smoke there. I've heard from several sources on hand that Gilbert played exclusively WR last night and didn't block much. He definitely does NOT want to play TE in college. That's okay though, he'll definitely have to block to play at UT but there is always a level of de-recruitment that has to occur with these guys realizing they are not the center of the universe and have to buy-in to get on the field. Besides, there is a big difference between having to block corners as a WR and linebackers and defensive ends as a TE, and we've committed to him playing WR and we did so a while back, which I think has really given us an edge. CJP will see that he's appropriately physical. Let's get him on board.
Easy now 😉

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Doesn’t matter where u play tight end or wr,kid better learn to block or sumthin cause he won’t make the nfl if not..I mean yea sum guys don’t fully block but it’s a big big part of playing wr/te ur gonna HAVE to block occasionally.Look at the titans and their concepts,Corey Davis out there driving guys around like lineman.

yeah, all this. and i doubt very seriously any of those coaches are like "sure arik, whatever you say" wink, wink.

lol.

as for the bold part...while i agree, i don't think i've ever gotten the impression about pruitt, or Saban for sure, that there's a lot of salesmanship going on. the one thing you always here is how honest those guys are w/prospects. Kirby...i dunno about. we know where he comes from, so i'm inclined to think not. but i'm not sure totally seeing how a few of his higher rated guys have transferred out the past year....especially Fields. feels like there may have been some over promising there, if nothing else.

bottomline, while i think there's always a reality check going from being recruited for 2 + years to hitting the field in a spring camp and just being one of 85, i don't think he's being misled from the standpoint of what he will be asked to do once he's whereever he goes.

Just like Rb u can be the greatest runner in the world literally but if u can’t pass block etc ur prob not gonna make it very long.No qb wants sumone our there can’t block and is gonna get him killed..In the end it’s a team sport everyone has pull their weight sum more than others.Hopefully with Gilbert it’s more a”Growing up learning the process”type thing than a diva “I’m to good to block type”situation jmo

VN Store

Back