Future of the Rowing Team

Vols919

In light of recent Oklahoma-Texas expansion rumors, here's an interesting question I haven't seen posted anywhere yet: What is Tennessee going to do about the rowing team?

If the Big 12 collapses, we would likely lose our conference affiliation alongside Alabama. If the Big 12 somehow managed to survive, I can't imagine they would have stable funding or goodwill toward SEC schools. So where would the Lady Vols go from there?

The old C-USA doesn't exist as a fallback, would UT make a push to join as affiliate members in the ACC (9 current members) or AAC (6 current members)? For a program with such diligent student athletes and coaches, I would hate to see the hard work and aspirations of these young women left uncertain.

In light of recent Oklahoma-Texas expansion rumors, here's an interesting question I haven't seen posted anywhere yet: What is Tennessee going to do about the rowing team?

If the Big 12 collapses, we would likely lose our conference affiliation alongside Alabama. If the Big 12 somehow managed to survive, I can't imagine they would have stable funding or goodwill toward SEC schools. So where would the Lady Vols go from there?

The old C-USA doesn't exist as a fallback, would UT make a push to join as affiliate members in the ACC (9 current members) or AAC (6 current members)? For a program with such diligent student athletes and coaches, I would hate to see the hard work and aspirations of these young women left uncertain.

Is this a Rowing coach or athlete?

Interesting question. How about the Big 10, which will probably become the Big 20?

Support your local scullers (sp?)!!!!
Wait; does this mean we don’t have a men’s crew? Discrimination that must be addressed.

Seriously, with the extra revenue, I don’t think we will need to drop any sports that keep the numbers in line with Prop number whatever it is.

????? Some how I can't understand this thread... What does the danger to the rowing team (sorry, didn't know UT had such) have to do with UT/Bama affiliation? Or for that matter the collapse of the B-12? Oh well lets get on the worrying about C-19.

Good Question OP. I would think that the SEC as part of accepting Texas and OU would have to start supporting rowing as an SEC sport. Texas has a long rowing tradition and will not give that up to come to the SEC.

I used to watch the rowing teams for Texas when I lived in Austin, they are a very impressive rowing program.

????? Some how I can't understand this thread... What does the danger to the rowing team (sorry, didn't know UT had such) have to do with UT/Bama affiliation? Or for that matter the collapse of the B-12? Oh well lets get on the worrying about C-19.
Because Tennessee Women’s Rowing is part of the Big 12

Once athletics departments have the added cost of paying players, this may become a moot point and women’s rowing goes back to a club sport

Reactions: tbwhhs

If the Big 12 collapses, we would likely lose our conference affiliation alongside Alabama. But, on the other hand, if the Big 12 somehow managed to survive, I can't imagine they would have stable funding or goodwill toward SEC schools. So, where would the Lady Vols go from there?

The old C-USA doesn't exist as a fallback. Would UT make a push to join as affiliate members in the ACC (9 current members) or AAC (6 current members)? For a program with such diligent student-athletes and coaches, I would hate to see these young women's hard work and aspirations left uncertain.

The Rowing Team has a nice building next to the river. Is it up for sale?

Reactions: golfballs
They could just split the team into teams into teams of 4 and do dragon boat racing before the home football games or just row up and down the river for the commercial at the halftime of the football game.

You only need four participating teams for a sport to be a conference sport. Texas and Oklahoma would give the SEC four members, so it would become an SEC sport.

Yes. The future of the rowing team was first to pop in my mind when I heard the OK/TX news.

FWIW, any such realignment would only being more money to TN, not less.

Lastly, having rowed on the 8 man team during its 1st year of existence... nobody cares.

The Big 12 is unlikely to collapse. If Texas and Oklahoma leave, they will be replaced. Nebraska may be ready to come back to the Big 12 given their mostly miserable Big 10 experience and Texas no longer being around to bully the rest of the conference members. Boise State and former SWC conference members Houston and/or SMU are possible additions. (BTW Texas putting out rumors they might leave is one of their past passive aggressive tricks. Remember the Texas to Pac12 rumor a few years back. TAM is very familiar with the bullying techniques of the not-real-UT)

UTK rowing will be fine no matter what happens to the Big 12.

I thought the rowing team existed as a Title 9 concession to counter the scholarships given to male football players. As long as they are given scholarships it doesn’t even matter if they compete, does it? They’ll work something out.

Reactions: Raebo
Because Tennessee Women’s Rowing is part of the Big 12

Like I said I didn't know UT had a rowing team. Sorry it sounds much like an intermural squad to me. I know I will and likely should be damned to hell by the team rowers and their families and fans. But like many (like my granddaughter who is a world class trap shooter) there are not many opportunities at the big schools for well supported lesser glamorous sports. So, I apologize for not knowing UT had a rowing team.

Like I said I didn't know UT had a rowing team. Sorry it sounds much like an intermural squad to me. I know I will and likely should be damned to hell by the team rowers and their families and fans. But like many (like my granddaughter who is a world class trap shooter) there are not many opportunities at the big schools for well supported lesser glamorous sports. So, I apologize for not knowing UT had a rowing team.
You don’t have to apologize. I only know what conference they’re in because I know a girl on the team. The OP probably should have mentioned it since 99% of people would have no idea

Reactions: Lucy

VN Store

Back