Future of the Johnny Majors Classic

Since they keep increasing the amount of SEC games and we are locked with Bama every year I think its better to not play any top 20 non-conference opponents. It would make a great game but consideration needs to be given to making the playoffs.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
Each team won a game at the other team’s stadium.
Got some statues and ceremonies.
Leave it at that and move on.

Should be a home and home deal at least once a decade.

Soonest we could (well, I guess would might be better) do would be 2031.

(With the way the school’s been scheduling games, I don’t think they’d be willing to do such in a year where they already have another OOC Power 5 team on the schedule.)

Play one in the Benz in Atlanta, it would be a better game than either of the snoozers and yawners they set down there this year, the Bengals stadium in Cincinnati would be about halfway between the campuses

Definately better than playing Syracuse or Virginia at neutral sites though would rather do a battle of Bristol with the Hokies or restart a series with notre dame or ucla

I know it’s unlikely to happen, but I would absolutely LOVE to see this game be played more regularly between these two programs. I think both sides have to admit this series was super fun to watch.
I am a big fan of this series!...It feels like a real rivalry game...I hope they renew it for years to come!

Reactions: kcvols1
I know it’s unlikely to happen, but I would absolutely LOVE to see this game be played more regularly between these two programs. I think both sides have to admit this series was super fun to watch.

Only because we won this one lol. Otherwise. Don’t want to see them again. Reminds me of 2003 Clemson. Losing to a team we shouldn’t. Sigh.

Since they keep increasing the amount of SEC games and we are locked with Bama every year I think its better to not play any top 20 non-conference opponents. It would make a great game but consideration needs to be given to making the playoffs.
I hate this mentality. Gimme the best, at their best. Why u scared?

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
So basically 9 SEC games is plenty? I disagree. Personally I don't care to play Pitt after the way the acted with the tickets. But I would prefer that P5 teams play 0 FCS teams and only 1 G5 team. What is UT getting from playing Akron?

Pitt pulling the Bull$hit on seating probably ended this awhile. Tennessee doesn’t need Pitt

That's a good point. What did they end up at the game today? I think like 48,000 paid announced so there were probably around 45k there. Vol fans had to be 10k of that. Means Pitt pulled in 35 k for a matchup between two T25 teams. Not good at all.

So basically 9 SEC games is plenty? I disagree. Personally I don't care to play Pitt after the way the acted with the tickets. But I would prefer that P5 teams play 0 FCS teams and only 1 G5 team. What is UT getting from playing Akron?

Just saying the odds of making the playoffs are small if you lose an early non-conference game and then play an SEC schedule which includes Bama/Florida/UGA and the odds are much better if an easy win is scheduled.

Our board agrees that we hope to see Tennessee on the schedule again in the not-so-distant future. Both games were fun and, most importantly, we got to honor a coaching legend from both schools.

As for the attendance question, today’s game had 59,785 paid attendants. That’s pretty good for us in a non-PSU/WVU/ND. We’re a smaller fan base in a pro sports town. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is. It gets amplified because we play in a much bigger stadium than what’s normally needed, though.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I hate this mentality. Gimme the best, at their best. Why u scared?
The same reason I am not stupid enough to play roulette, the odds. If the goal is to make the playoffs you are taking an unnecessary risk, if thats not the goal then only schedule top 20 teams.

I would love to see us play Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, and some of the North Carolina teams more regularly.

For purely personal reasons, I would love for us to do a home and home with GT. I know we played them at the MB dome a few years ago, but I want something on each campus

Two old schools SEC teams. The Bobby Dodd stories practically write themselves

Gives us additional exposure in the Atlanta area which is major

And finally, as an added bonus GT is going to suck for the next 5 years so it should be a pretty easy win

Reactions: volbound1700
Our board agrees that we hope to see Tennessee on the schedule again in the not-so-distant future. Both games were fun and, most importantly, we got to honor a coaching legend from both schools.

As for the attendance question, today’s game had 59,785 paid attendants. That’s pretty good for us in a non-PSU/WVU/ND. We’re a smaller fan base in a pro sports town. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is. It gets amplified because we play in a much bigger stadium than what’s normally needed, though.

I didn't make it up this weekend. I did however meet some nice Pitt fans last year who were very complimentary of the way they had been treated in Knoxville and the overall atmosphere

Hopefully, our Vol fans were good guests for you guys (well, other than hanging the L on you) and everyone had a great time !

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The same reason I am not stupid enough to play roulette, the odds. If the goal is to make the playoffs you are taking an unnecessary risk, if thats not the goal then only schedule top 20 teams.
I tried to read your post but all I could make out was "bawwk bawwk baawwk".......and I don't speak chicken.

For purely personal reasons, I would love for us to do a home and home with GT. I know we played them at the MB done a few years ago, but I want something on each campus

Two old schools SEC teams. The Bobby Dodd stories practically write themselves

Gives us additional exposure in the Atlanta area which is major

And finally, as an added bonus GT is going to suck for the next 5 years so it should be a pretty easy win

That is a good one,

Of course a few others that I wouldn't mind seeing come back are UCLA, Notre Dame, and Syracuse (they are Orange).

Just saying the odds of making the playoffs are small if you lose an early non-conference game and then play an SEC schedule which includes Bama/Florida/UGA and the odds are much better if an easy win is scheduled.
Disagree. Look at Georgie last year. Barely beat top ranked Clemson in game 1 then ran the table. Should they have just played North Dakota State instead?

VN Store

Back