Fulmer's Head Coach Hiring Decision

GodzillaVolFan

Vol For Life
This isn't to advocate for firing Pruitt or to support keeping him, I am just curious as to opinions on why Fulmer chose Pruitt instead of Mel Tucker. I have listened to a few interviews with him discussing being head coach at Colorado and his post-game press conferences. He is a very articulate man who seems to understand how to be a head coach. His and Pruitt's playing careers and coaching trajectories seem to be pretty close other than he has been a coach longer. Thoughts?

He chose Pruitt because he had a better plan & brought in great coaches with him.

I’d take Pruitt over Tucker.

We wouldn’t have half the talent we have now (crouch, Thompson, Gray, To’to’o’ etc...without Pruitt & his staff he built.

Tennessee looks bad right now, because of the QB position.

And that’s on the 2016 & 2017 classes. Nothing to do with Pruitt.

He chose Pruitt because he had a better plan & brought in great coaches with him.

We wouldn’t have half the talent we have now (crouch, Thompson, Gray, To’to’o’ etc...without Pruitt & his staff he built.

Wow......simply wow

Pruitt has NOTHING to do with Tennessee being bad this season? Therefore he has no blame or responsibility for it.......wow

The coaching staff, including Pruitt should have the majority of the blame for the Georgia State game. The team was not motivated and certainly did not look prepared. The opposite staff made halftime adjustments......the Tennessee staff and team looked stale.

I am more ticked about Tennessee’s effort, their preparation, motivation, and lack of discipline.......than I am their record..........for me much of that is on Pruitt.

Fulmer wanted cornbread. Swaps Krispy creme donuts in exchange for Pruitt's wife's cornbread. She made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Reactions: rockydoc

Agree with everything except the QB position having nothing to do with Pruitt. He’s had time to bring in a grad transfer and he’s had 2 signing classes. Granted he didn’t have much time to put together that first class, but signing a competent QB had to of been priority #1. Apparently he’s 0 for 2 in the QB department.

Reactions: Alto1 and JoAllan

Pruitt has a more impressive background as DC. He still has a few ends to tie up but he has made progress. His future now depends on his ability to get solid play at the QB position. Stay the course and we will soon be there.

I would take anybody in the country over Pruitt. He's a disaster

Reactions: JazzMaster001
Pruitt has a more impressive background as DC. He still has a few ends to tie up but he has made progress. His future now depends on his ability to get solid play at the QB position. Stay the course and we will soon be there.
A few ends to tie up... Wow. Ok. That's like saying 'just a few cups of water to scoop out' on the Titanic.

This...the fact that he had an impressive staff lined up in such a short amount of time played a huge role. They were 10 days before early signing period when he was hired so they had to have a staff fast.

Reactions: vols1707
This isn't to advocate for firing Pruitt or to support keeping him, I am just curious as to opinions on why Fulmer chose Pruitt instead of Mel Tucker. I have listened to a few interviews with him discussing being head coach at Colorado and his post-game press conferences. He is a very articulate man who seems to understand how to be a head coach. His and Pruitt's playing careers and coaching trajectories seem to be pretty close other than he has been a coach longer. Thoughts?

Until the interviews a lot of people that usually know Fulmer pretty well thought Pruitt was second or third behind the other candidates.

This...the fact that he had an impressive staff lined up in such a short amount of time played a huge role. They were 10 days before early signing period when he was hired so they had to have a staff fast.

This: “Tennessee looks bad right now, because of the QB position.

Is also in your “this” which you apparently like and agree with.

You tell me how on earth Pruitt deserves zero credit for this season? Hey the bad included. Also tell me how “everything” that has been bad is solely on the QB......yet none is on the HC?

It's a disconnect with many Volunteers football fans on this board, the utter mess the university was in just prior to Pruitt's hire, and how it echoed back to an embarrassingly dysfunctional time in UT's recent history. Why was Pruitt hired?

Because he was the best we could do at the time and given the circumstances.

All of these posts, all of these billions of characters spit out upon this site based in the assumptions and viewpoint that UT is/was capable of attracting and hiring anyone else... Twilight Zone. Reality is somewhere back there, before you turned down this road in the dark. I've already recapped for the umpteenth time the path to present circumstances and will not do so again, here. Face the music, VNsters.

Fulmer wanted cornbread. Swaps Krispy creme donuts in exchange for Pruitt's wife's cornbread. She made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
The boldness of your effrontery is outpaced only by the inaccuracy of what you are positing sir!!
For shame my friend, for shame

The answer is obvious. CJP needs time to right the ship, but to my mind, and the minds of many others, what we need is for "the righter of wrongs"-- the indomitable CPF-- to return and take the reins once more.

your drunk.............Tucker takes over for Colorado and competes over-night. Pruitt is not even coming close to that. drink you another bruh

Agree with everything except the QB position having nothing to do with Pruitt. He’s had time to bring in a grad transfer and he’s had 2 signing classes. Granted he didn’t have much time to put together that first class, but signing a competent QB had to of been priority #1. Apparently he’s 0 for 2 in the QB department.

hindsight is always 20/20...have you seen who we have for QB's next season...difference makers...

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT THE DAWGS!

VN Store

Back