• Kelly Washington

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Mike Hamilton

Votes: 69 16.8%
  • Two losing seasons in four years

Votes: 45 11.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted complacency. He did not replace his top notch assistants with top notch performing assistants. He didn't recognize that early enough and once recognized he didn't handle it very quickly either. The fellow is loyal to a fault. That said coaching big time college football is not about loyalty and friendships no matter how much that pr nugget gets tossed out there. It's about performance and winning.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
*** what about the other SEC schools actually hiring qualified, talented coaches?

Look at the other schools and who were the coaches when Fulmer won. The only SEC coach who competed at UT regularly was UF with Spurrier.

The other SEC schools were on a merry-go-round with coaches, facilities were not up to UT's standards, UT had the largest stadium in the SEC, UT was a media darling, etc. etc.

I remember going to a UT vs. Ole Miss game at Oxford in the late 80s. There were no lights at the stadium and a freakin' tractor was parked beneath the visitor's bleachers. It was high-schoolish.

Reactions: Volatility and Remy
Coach Fulmer made mistakes that cost him his job, I'm not going to go into specifics because hindsight is 20/20. However, looks like he's taking steps as AD to get us back where we want to be so I'm going to take that as making amends.

Add: Fans Bitc...... too much
Add: Let it go man...........this horse is dead.

LOL... this covers it too...
images

Amen! All of the above, and The SEC improved, top to bottom.

Reactions: oz615
Doughnuts? Cheetos sandwiches? Banana & mayo? Sushiritos? All of the above? In rocky top, the fruit just hangs too low.

It seems that every thread turns into a reason for Fulmer's downfall. In order to keep that from happening to all other threads for the next two months, I propose we place those comments and thoughts into one thread designed just for that.

For all of the opinions relegated to the reasons for his firing in so many other threads, I am attaching a poll. It seems there are several reasons that are stated in each of these threads. If I don't put the reason you feel should be included in the poll, feel free to state it in this thread.

Can you add “fan base became entitled” to the list of choices? If it wasn’t the main reason, it was certainly in the top three.

I’ll be banned for this but I feel like a lot of you truly believe If he put the headset on wed instantly be 98 good...

It was a combination of 1 and 2. I don't think he gets as complacent with Cut here.

My God, is there any fan base that analyzes the past as much as us? If so I’d like to know who it is. Let’s move on folks

It was a lot of things as most who are old enough to remember know. Complacency was part of it as it became easier to recruit with the name than having to sell it to someone. That alone brought in more than a few problems as far as the character of some of the players we got at the time. We were always hearing about somebody getting in to trouble for something.

Kelly Washington was just a product of the times. They just got lazy in recruiting and picked up way to many guys that were IFFY at best in the character category and it eventually cost them in the way the teams lost their focus.

Remember Stallworth was going to do whatever Washington did and Kelly said he was leaving school so Stallworth decided to go pro as well then as soon as Donte' announced Kelly said he was staying in school basically so he could be the big dog and feed his ego and go higher in the next draft but he got hurt against Georgia and that shot that big plan in the foot.

Stallworth played about 10 years and Washington was little more than a footnote. Thart was just one issue with players and how attitudes ruined what had been a GREAT thing for all of us VOL fans and the school as well. You can sign 20 Five Star recruits and if you can't get them to set aside the ego thing you can get beat by anybody.

Hopefully we ALL have learned.

Go VOLS

Reactions: vettefool
I don’t know about Fulmer downfall but I think Hamilton seems to be a common thread for UTs downfall.

1. He kept adding bonuses and incentives to Fulmer’s contract that rewarded very mediocre results. I.e. win 8 games and you get $$$ extra. He didn’t set an expectation for excellence. Was there any kind of message after 2005 that this kind of performance is unacceptable?

2. He then gives up on Fulmer in 2008 and really hadn’t even been planning ahead for the right kind of replacement. I’m not saying Kiffin was the worst choice but what an epic fail to not include a better buyout clause.

3. He panicked and hired Dooley. Clearly there were better choices.

4. His tenure downgraded the standard for future ADs. After he left, it made the hiring of Hart look like an upgrade. Hart gave us Butch who made things even worse.

Seems like if Hamilton was never the AD, this domino effect of poor choices would have never happened.

The only person/persons who could be held more responsible would be the clowns (Cheek? Perhaps really the Hassan’s influence) who hired all of these ADs: Hamilton, Hart, Schiano guy— can’t even remember his name.

Reactions: utchs81 and AM64
Yet another stupid Fulmer thread that rehashes the same crap from all of the other Fulmer threads.

August 31st can't get here soon enough.

I agree 100%! But, due to the thread existing, I will say Cutcliffe carried Fulmer, PERIOD. Without Cutcliffe, Fulmer never even gets hired as HC. Cutcliffe was pulling the strings behind the curtain when UT was undefeated before Majors came back in 1992! The Chief played a big part in it too! Yes, coordinators can make or break a HC. But, Fulmer was exposed when Cutcliffe left, came back, and left again. Everyone saw who the real OC was, CUTCLIFFE! Had Cutcliffe been HC instead of Fulmer. I think UT wins one NC with Manning and gets Eli to come to UT!!! We will never know! Look at what Cutcliffe has done at Duke with 2-3 star talent. Do you think Fulmer could ever be as successful with Duke's talent? I say, HELL NO!!!

VN Store

Back