Fulmer's decision

Think maybe wait until WNCAAT ends? And the men finish?

I don't see anything to gain from that. Go ahead sever ties with Holly now so the current players and recruits can begin to process and plan accordingly, show the fan base the administration is serious about changing the direction of the program, start back-channeling and get a jump on your potential target if he/she is still coaching. No reason to leave Holly and everyone else in limbo for another couple of weeks...

That which must be done inevitably, must be done immediately

I feel strongly that Phil wouldn’t want to fire Holly while the men’s team is still in their tournament. I know if I were him I wouldn’t want to take any attention away from another team that could make the Final Four. But I’ll tell ya, if I were him, I’d already be telling Holly today that she’s done, even if I’d hold off announcing it publicly until after the men were done.

thats my thought as well -- he isnt going to get anyone decent if their school is still playing

If he encourages her to retire now or fired her, then the fans will want interviews started the following day & an announcement the next day
That can’t happen while teams are still playing in tourney. What if Fulmer wants to hire assistant from UConn and has to wait for interview. The natives will be restless from waiting 3 weeks for a hire
Wait to fire her until the tourney is over

Once/If Holly is gone, this board will have so many names to recommend for her replacement
You will hear illogical names like Bruce Oearl, Bobby Knight, Phil Jackson to Gino A
You will also hear names of people who aren’t really qualified but because they are Lady Vols they should be hired. Catchings, Holtzclaw, Hiornbuckle, DeShield, Massengale, etc. Nevermind that they have little to no coaching experience. They are Lasy Vols, so we need to hire them

Should be quick and decisive, either way. It will be disappointing if no decision is made in the next couple of days (by Monday) if Holly is returning. If Fulmer let's this drag out, it makes him look weak as an AD...
The fact she's still the coach at this moment makes him look weak. Each second she remains makes him look weaker.

I undoubtedly think Holly should be fired very soon. However, Phil should take his time with the coaching search and make sure he gets the right hire with an impressive resume.

How much is the buyout? That's the only question that matters. If it is over $1 million, it ain't happening. Women's basketball breaks even at best financially, so a buyout seems very unlikely at any price.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Think maybe wait until WNCAAT ends? And the men finish?
I can see that. Coaches who are in the tournament can't be approached.
The problem is that you can tell from the players that their morale is rock bottom and they need no leadership.

So, some immediate damage control is needed at least behind the scenes.

Reactions: Momto2
I feel strongly that Phil wouldn’t want to fire Holly while the men’s team is still in their tournament. I know if I were him I wouldn’t want to take any attention away from another team that could make the Final Four. But I’ll tell ya, if I were him, I’d already be telling Holly today that she’s done, even if I’d hold off announcing it publicly until after the men were done.
These aren't ordinary times, the patient is bleeding out, and it must be stopped now. Reassurance to the loved ones must be delivered ASAP. Announce tomorrow, and the informal, preliminary search should have underway for months.

Its semi-delusional to think anything happening to the LVs would steal the thunder of the men's run, which please basketball gods grant our battered souls that it may continue beyond today. They don't care, except possibly the men players would be happy and relieved for the LV players.

Also, it would in no way be a negative to announce an LV coaching change; in fact, the negative would be if nothing is done. It would be a huge FU to the players and fans and signify to the public at large what many on this board have suspected: LV basketball is simply no longer important to the university. Death knell.

Reactions: madtownvol
odds are she will say No

I expect that you are correct; however it isn’t like Fulmer’s offering her the premier job in women’s basketball would be insulting. As an assistant coach, Becky is making around $200k per year and her prospects of ever obtaining a head coaching job in the men’s game is not a certainty.

If she were to turn our program around and win a national championship or two; that only increases her odds of getting a men’s job on down the road.

Reactions: mcannon1
Fulmer will not fire A WOMAN, too much push back from #Me too movement , all the political female hacks say women are held back by men in world / workplace
does anyone remember Martha Burke , I got watch the Masters golf tourney commercial free thanks to her , Hootie Johnson is da man...……………………….

Reactions: BreatheUT
Fulmer will not fire A WOMAN, too much push back from #Me too movement , all the political female hacks say women are held back by men in world / workplace
does anyone remember Martha Burke , I got watch the Masters golf tourney commercial free thanks to her , Hootie Johnson is da man...……………………….
The LadyVols players would be smart to transfer somewhere else where they would be coached if Phil doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to make a coaching change

How much is the buyout? That's the only question that matters. If it is over $1 million, it ain't happening. Women's basketball breaks even at best financially, so a buyout seems very unlikely at any price.
Yes but how much more will the program lose if she is not replaced? In other words "which is the lesser of evils"? Also it could take several years to recover as a program if she is allowed to remain till her contract runs out. All that time losing more money than biting the bullet no would cost.

I don't see anything to gain from that. Go ahead sever ties with Holly now so the current players and recruits can begin to process and plan accordingly, show the fan base the administration is serious about changing the direction of the program, start back-channeling and get a jump on your potential target if he/she is still coaching. No reason to leave Holly and everyone else in limbo for another couple of weeks...

A lot of the coaches who would be under consideration still have teams playing. Could sever ties with Holly now, but then you are just in a different limbo....no coach and no new coach to introduce...or even a list of possible candidates. With a team still playing in the NCAAT what good coach would publicly announce they were leaving or even considering leaving? I understand the “best ‘twere done quickly “ concept, but it is almost a choose your poison. No good way in any direction.

Reactions: T_Vol376

VN Store

Back