Fulmer on Arch Manning recruitment

VolForLife83

Former Tennessee head coach Phillip Fulmer sounds off on Arch Manning's recruitment

“They (the Mannings) have a plan,” said Fulmer. “I haven’t talked to Cooper (Manning) about this, but I have with Peyton (Manning) just in general. Those folks know the ropes around college athletics. They know a lot of people. They can find out information they want to know: stability of programs, the longevity of coaches, and all those things more than most.”

Also touches on Peyton's recruitment.

From everything I have ever heard or read, Cooper Manning is the smart one of the bunch...it was actually played down as a joke on that College Bowl quiz show he and Peyton did a couple of years ago.

Stating that, and knowing Cooper's football career was cut short, I'm going to say that academics / value of a degree is a weighing factor with Arch as well. It's not a given that the kid plays in the NFL some day and make Uncle P and E type money.

One thing I do find interesting in this article is the statement "stability of programs, longevity of coaches"...leads me to think they aren't going with a first or second year coach which kind of puts a damper on Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia. Really of the 'front runners' reported that just leaves Ole Miss, Alabama, and Georgia.

No no....arch is defintely one of those "we didn't want him anyway" type of guys.

I thought that is how we roll around here?
We have an awesome QB commit. Arch is a great prospect too. We smartly went after the guy we had a better chance with. Even Fulmer mentions "stability" as mattering to the Manning's. Through no fault of White or Heupel's, that ain't us. We may can sell stability in a few years hopefully, but not now. I hope Arch goes to Texas and not Georgia, but regardless, anyone would be lucky to get either guy, and the best part is, we've already got Nico.

From everything I have ever heard or read, Cooper Manning is the smart one of the bunch...it was actually played down as a joke on that College Bowl quiz show he and Peyton did a couple of years ago.

Stating that, and knowing Cooper's football career was cut short, I'm going to say that academics / value of a degree is a weighing factor with Arch as well. It's not a given that the kid plays in the NFL some day and make Uncle P and E type money.

One thing I do find interesting in this article is the statement "stability of programs, longevity of coaches"...leads me to think they aren't going with a first or second year coach which kind of puts a damper on Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia. Really of the 'front runners' reported that just leaves Ole Miss, Alabama, and Georgia.
Stability also rules out Kiffin. I think it's been said he's down to Texas, Georgia and Alabama and Alabama has already accepted Eli Holstein's commitment.

Has TN ever had an outspoken flashy QB like Nico? I think it would be great PR to have one like that. Probably could keep the team fired up all the time. Borrow a little flash from the BB boys.

I thought you said academics are important?

I forgot about him. Did Kiffin recruit Bray before he left? They would have been a great fit for a couple of yrs.

Yes. Kiffin signed Bray, who graduated early and reported to campus in January.

Off top of my memory, he had only been here for a day or two when Lane headed for USC.

They would have been a great fit.

I blame Jeff Fisher for all that. The final week of 2009/2010 season, the Titans played their last game of year in Seattle. It was a meaningless game with neither team advancing. to playoffs If the Titans had lost, they would have drafted higher. And, Jim Mora would have lasted another year with Seahawks. He was right on the keep/fire line.

Turns out, Titans won, I think Chris Johnson crossed 2000 yard mark that game, Mora was fired, Pete Carroll jumped at Seahawks offer, dumb Lane went bye bye.

Reactions: Coach_Z
No no....arch is defintely one of those "we didn't want him anyway" type of guys.

I thought that is how we roll around here?
There is absolutely no one i would rather have right now as a future QB besides Nico. I believe that his personality and skill set is exactly what is needed in the program but anyone that doesn't believe Archie is also a game changer is delusional.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

VN Store

Back