Fulmer Needs To Take The Wheel

Only caveat I would put in there would be Sanders has to come back as OC and they need to snag Chavis before Maryville signs him if they haven't already.
What are Steve Caldwell and Jimmy Ray Stephens doing these days? Maybe we can coax Dan Brooks out of retirement. I’m should Greg Adkins would leave Marshall to come to UT. While we’re at it, let’s get the towel waving imbecile Johnny Long to come back as strength coach.# putthebandbacktogether

If I could go back to 2008 and tell you guys that in 12 years we would be debating bringing back Fulmer to "right the ship" would you have just ended it then and started rooting for another team?
LOL. It doesn't even seem like a debate. I just floated an idea and have received about 98% negative reaction.

Never thought I'd say this, but the time has come for the only person who can clean this mess up to step in. He's obviously got booster backing or he would not be athletic director. Seems to get along with Boyd and Plowman. Fan reaction would be mixed, but the nostalgia factor would bring people around. We'd have to give him a raise but I don't think he'd demand much. Give him a few years to pass Neyland's career wins record and teach some guys how to be a head coach. In-state recruiting would pick up.
Fulmer had become complacent and the game had passed him by when he was let go the first time. Plus how old is he now?9D402E4D-3DC2-430B-A0C6-F04C559F6339.gif

I'm not surprised by the responses, but I think this is an idea that people can get comfortable with after some time for reflection. I'd ask that anyone who has a strongly negative initial reaction but later reconsiders to please come back and make a post to that effect.

Fulmer would be completely unable to hire a competent staff, would be completely unable to recruit, and would leave the program in much worse shape than it's already in.

I'm sure he'd provide "stability." But stability comes in many different forms, and you would not like the stability he'd bring.

Fulmer was born September 1, 1950. Seventy is not that old nowadays. A seventy year-old man ran a sub- three-hour marathon a couple of years ago.

Never thought I'd say this, but the time has come for the only person who can clean this mess up to step in. He's obviously got booster backing or he would not be athletic director. Seems to get along with Boyd and Plowman. Fan reaction would be mixed, but the nostalgia factor would bring people around. We'd have to give him a raise but I don't think he'd demand much. Give him a few years to pass Neyland's career wins record and teach some guys how to be a head coach. In-state recruiting would pick up.
Lol...lets let the guy who just signed the worst contract extension in NCAA history have MORE control! I bet I can guess your political affiliation.

Lol...lets let the guy who just signed the worst contract extension in NCAA history have MORE control! I bet I can guess your political affiliation.
it would probably amuse me to know your guess.

I think Fulmer was really trying to insulate Pruitt. As a fan, I don't like it. As a person whose had to talk people into signing deals that were not a win/win, I have to admire the apparent effectiveness.

Reactions: Myrtleturtle

You’re a great poster and don’t take this the wrong way, but this would be complete insanity.

The game passed Fulmer by a decade ago. He wouldn’t recruit well enough nor be able to out coach Saban, Mullen, and Smart.

Not to mention Fulmer is being delusional as the AD.

He started this mess. We don’t need to make the same mistake again.

Fulmer was born September 1, 1950. Seventy is not that old nowadays. A seventy year-old man ran a sub- three-hour marathon a couple of years ago.

Trust me. PF is 3 months older than myself. 70 is sure as hell old. I got more aches and pains now than I ever had and I try to keep myself in shape.
Actually had a class with him in 71 or 72. He was sort of arrogant even back then..

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
As a GenX'er, the nostalgia runs deep in me. I'm a sucker for anything Star Wars, BMX bikes, cartridge-based gaming systems, etc., etc. I would probably enjoy the image of getting the band back together but I am not sure how I'd feel about having that same crew calling the plays and establishing the scheme.
I'm a GenX'er. What you're experiencing isn't nostalgia. It's a midlife crisis. Just go out and buy a new convertible sports car. Don't try to wreck the UT football program. The UT administration doesn't need any help in that area.

KtM7u7d.gif

I'm a GenX'er. What you're experiencing isn't nostalgia. It's a midlife crisis. Just go out and buy a new convertible sports car. Don't try to wreck the UT football program. The UT administration doesn't need any help in that area.
lol. I had a 'vette convertible when I was about 40. Hurt my back getting in and out of it and traded it in after a couple of years.

Really, it was a Cadillac XLR built at Bowling Green Assembly Plant. Closest I'll ever get to 'vette.

Reactions: Vol423
Only caveat I would put in there would be Sanders has to come back as OC and they need to snag Chavis before Maryville signs him if they haven't already.
Can we please let Maryville have Chavis? I'd love to be able to say my son played for him his Senior season. We're playing in the spring due to COVID and will be done by May. UT can have him after that.

Is he bringing Cutcliffe with him? Fulmer's legacy is greatly exaggerated by the 1998 natty. Without Cutcliffe, Fulmer was average at best as a head coach. He had approximately an .850 win pct. with Cut. Without Cut, it was .670. As an AD? Turrible.

Many times, the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. The trio of Fulmer, Cut, and Chief was a great stretch for Tennessee football. Remove any of those parts along with improved coaching hires by our rivals and you get what we got. It doesn't help that our administration always seems to be a day late and a dollar short when it comes to making the right moves necessary to continue winning.

I agree. No one knows Tenn football like dummy thicc P h a t Phil. He’ll know all the recruiting ins and outs, won’t need to cheat or at least will be smart enough to not get caught. And he certainly can’t be any worse than the Gump. So long as he’s out, and we’re looking for a permanent replacement why not give Phil his shot. This whole mess started years ago under him, he needs his shot to finally fix it..

Last edited:
Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Is he bringing Cutcliffe with him? Fulmer's legacy is greatly exaggerated by the 1998 natty. Without Cutcliffe, Fulmer was average at best as a head coach. He had approximately an .850 win pct. with Cut. Without Cut, it was .670. As an AD? Turrible.

Many times, the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. The trio of Fulmer, Cut, and Chief was a great stretch for Tennessee football. Remove any of those parts along with improved coaching hires by our rivals and you get what we got. It doesn't help that our administration always seems to be a day late and a dollar short when it comes to making the right moves necessary to continue winning.
Jim Bob Cooter is probably going to be out of a job when the Jets' season ends. I think we could get him as a co-OC, assuming they keep Chaney.

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
I agree. No one knows Tenn football like dummy thicc Phil. He’ll know all the recruiting ins and outs, won’t need to cheat or at least will be smart enough to not get caught. And he certainly can’t be any worse than the Gump. So long as he’s out, and we’re looking for a permanent replacement why not give Phil his shot. This whole mess started years ago under him, he needs his shot to finally fix it.
Does nobody else think that, just maybe, the college football and recruiting landscape have changed in the 13 or so years Phil has been out of it. We saw what was happening to him while it was in the process of changing...and it wasn't good.

This would be like a guy driving his car into the ditch, calling a tow-truck, and then the tow-truck driver letting him drive the tow-truck into the same ditch in an attempt to pull himself out.

I
What are Steve Caldwell and Jimmy Ray Stephens doing these days? Maybe we can coax Dan Brooks out of retirement. I’m should Greg Adkins would leave Marshall to come to UT. While we’re at it, let’s get the towel waving imbecile Johnny Long to come back as strength coach.# putthebandbacktogether

I like where your head is at.

Need to bring in Trooper for crootin' purposes as well speaking of towel waving idiots.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly

VN Store

Back