Fulmer: "I'm going to be around"

He inherited a program already well established. Team of destiny meant there was alot of luck.

Ok, lets play this game. Go ahead and explain 1986, 1988, 1990, 1992 - Majors was working with a program already well established.

What happened?

1990 team should have won it all.

Reactions: 3 people
Ok, lets play this game. Go ahead and explain 1986, 1988, 1990, 1992 - Majors was working with a program already well established.

What happened?

Don't hold your breath. I'm still waiting for someone to explain 1977-1980, Majors' first 4 years. Can you imagine if Jones' first 3 years was worse than Dooleys 3 years?

Reactions: 1 person
Don't hold your breath. I'm still waiting for someone to explain 1977-1980, Majors' first 4 years. Can you imagine if Jones' first 3 years was worse than Dooleys 3 years?

I can't imagine that.

JM came home after winning a NC at Pitt. He was a TN guy with success at a high level.

That could be the reason for the wiggle room he had early.

I can't imagine that.

JM came home after winning a NC at Pitt. He was a TN guy with success at a high level.

That could be the reason for the wiggle room he had early.

That's 100% why he had all the goodwill and subsequent wiggle room. Didn't get to .500 until year 5. Had he not been the former great player/favorite son, he wouldn't have gotten a 5th year then, and he wouldn't get a 4th year now imho

Lord help us. why would you want this guy to have anything to do with our football program? he ran it into the ground once. I don't know who has the biggest ego, Majors or Fulmer.

What history book are you reading. No coach will be dominate forever. Phil had a great run, had some bad breaks and lost his job. I for 1 believe he'd could have turned it around fast. Let's at least give him credit for loving this university. His university. I guessing he has done more for UT than you!

Reactions: 2 people

What happened?

Didn't have a missed FG in OT. Didn't have a gift hogg to look in the mouth.

What history book are you reading. No coach will be dominate forever. Phil had a great run, had some bad breaks and lost his job. I for 1 believe he'd could have turned it around fast. Let's at least give him credit for loving this university. His university. I guessing he has done more for UT than you!

Yeah, he did alot for the University and was very well paid while doing so.

Then he ran it into the ground and was paid even more!

Don't owe him Jack!

Yeah, he did alot for the University and was very well paid while doing so.

Then he ran it into the ground and was paid even more!

Don't owe him Jack!

I'm with Orange on this one.

There's no need to run either Coach Majors or Coach Fulmer down. I think they gave their all and are still willing to.

Anybody with a lick of common sense would understand that the roster Majors inherited in 1977 was a disaster. Dooley didn't leave Butch nearly the mess that Battle left. Plus the facilities Fulmer, Dooley, and Jones were given were excellent. What Majors started with was a mess. But when you want to spew garbage, facts get in the way of your agenda to hate on Majors.

negavols get REAL old!!! just need to funnel these tards into NegaVol.com or at least give them their own forum section... Jesus everybody's got to hate and i bet all these idiots trashing or wanting CPF to go away forget what HE DID DO for this university so god bless the man and thanks for what you did do! Fulmer=VFL

negavols get REAL old!!! just need to funnel these tards into NegaVol.com or at least give them their own forum section... Jesus everybody's got to hate and i bet all these idiots trashing or wanting CPF to go away forget what HE DID DO for this university so god bless the man and thanks for what you did do! Fulmer=VFL

Their are fans if other teams, a bandwagon fan, Vol fans that are negative, Vol fans that are positive, and Vol fans that are balanced.

If all they do is twist the knife, it gets old.

I'm fully aware of each twist before it happens, at least relay an original thought every now and then.

Some drink coffee and others drink tea,

Why don't we call a Carrot an Orange and an Orange a Carrot?

Anybody with a lick of common sense would understand that the roster Majors inherited in 1977 was a disaster. Dooley didn't leave Butch nearly the mess that Battle left. Plus the facilities Fulmer, Dooley, and Jones were given were excellent. What Majors started with was a mess. But when you want to spew garbage, facts get in the way of your agenda to hate on Majors.

Not garbage facts at all and you know it Thunder. We've gone around and around about this you lose the argument every time.

But just those who don't know exactly what we're talking about, this is it...

Bill Battle was fired after the 1976 season and replaced with favorite son Johnny Majors. Battle was fired for going 28-17 his last 4 seasons......Majors then drives a declining program completely into the ground over the next 4 seasons, going 21-23-1, including going 5-6 in the 4th year after pretty much having a roster full of his players and having 4 full seasons to implement his system.

So help me understand how any of those facts are "garbage"?

Get out of your emotions, your irrationality, and give a legit, cogent explanation. I know you're a Majors fan (which is short for fantastic), but try to give us a rational thought here. And try to do better than "Battle left Majors a mess" and "Dooley didn't leave Jones the mess Battle left Majors" because both are crap.

Battle left a poor roster, but he left Tennessee having never recorded a losing season, including his last season...as opposed to Dooley leaving Jones a poor roster, having never recorded a winning season, including his last season. But you somehow think Majors had it tougher than Jones?? Lol.

You got no leg to stand on here.

Last edited:
He rarely, if ever, had more talent than Florida....and that one team is why he didn't win even more titles.

Sorry, but you don't have a clue

Check and see how many more players UT had drafted than Florida during Fulmer's tenure.

Well....what's behind it is bringing Tennessee an NC and into prominence as a football powerhouse. The hatred for CPF is nauseating.

Another one without a clue. UT came into prominence long before Fulmer and will be there long after him.

Sorry, but it's not the University of Fulmer

Not sure what evidence you have to support that belief. Cutcliffe got things straightened out in 2006, but it still didn't get back to national contender level. Fulmer never had to build a team from scratch or a disaster like Majors and JOnes were handed. The fact that he never actually built a team as a HC is probably why he didn't get a sniff from any of the power teams that had openings after his dismissal here. He eagerly stated on several occasions he still wanted to coach, but no one came calling. I think he likely was somewhat delusional about himself as to how he stacked up nationally

Lol makes it seem like he's going to be staring into curries window. Would be hilarious.

seems to me that he wants to be like Spurrier and hang around.....the only problem is that CSS was invited to come back

Sorry, but you don't have a clue

Check and see how many more players UT had drafted than Florida during Fulmer's tenure.

Complete bs. Those were some incredibly talented Florida teams, some all-time great SEC teams that won conference title after conference title (they won 6 during Fulmer's career, nobody else won more than 3 in that timespan) that we were battling during the time. I simply said Florida kept Tennessee, under Fulmer, from winning more games/championships. Let me add here that they kept every SEC team from winning more games and championships during the time period. You look like a blithering idiot trying to say otherwise.

So I checked the numbers, from 1992-2008, during Fulmer's tenure. The results? Tennessee had 95 players drafted, Florida 90....so over the course of those 17 years, Tennessee averaged .294 more players drafted per year into the NFL than Florida, or, at any given time, we might've had approximately one more player eventually drafted on our roster than Florida when we played them........kinda thinking that my statement, "he rarely, if ever, had more talent than Florida", is validated per your own definition.

I'll add that Spurrier was the better coach than Fulmer, just like he was pretty much the better coach vs anybody he played. And had it not been for him and the incredibly talented teams he put together, Fulmer would've been an even more solidly credentialed HOF coach than he already is.

Last edited:
Complete bs. Those were some incredibly talented Florida teams, some all-time great SEC teams that won conference title after conference title (they won 6 during Fulmer's career, nobody else won more than 3 in that timespan) that we were battling during the time. I simply said Florida kept Tennessee, under Fulmer, from winning more games/championships. Let me add here that they kept every SEC team from winning more games and championships during the time period. You look like a blithering idiot trying to say otherwise.

So I checked the numbers, from 1992-2008, during Fulmer's tenure. The results? Tennessee had 95 players drafted, Florida 90....so over the course of those 17 years, Tennessee averaged .294 more players drafted per year into the NFL than Florida, or, at any given time, we might've had approximately one more player eventually drafted on our roster than Florida when we played them........kinda thinking that my statement, "he rarely, if ever, had more talent than Florida", is validated per your own definition.

I'll add that Spurrier was the better coach than Fulmer, just like he was pretty much the better coach vs anybody he played. And had it not been for him and the incredibly talented teams he put together, Fulmer would've been an even more solidly credentialed HOF coach than he already is.

Check the numbers from 1993 - 2002. There's a little more disparity during that time frame.Those were Fulmer's best years too. Oh, well, 2002 was terrible but was loaded with talent

Blithering idiot???? :birgits_giggle:

Check the numbers from 1993 - 2002. There's a little more disparity during that time frame.Those were Fulmer's best years too. Oh, well, 2002 was terrible but was loaded with talent

Blithering idiot???? :birgits_giggle:

So this is what you do when you lose an argument? Backtrack? Move goalposts? Blithering idiot indeed.

So this is what you do when you lose an argument? Backtrack? Move goalposts? Blithering idiot indeed.

Easy to say to someone on a message board. Doubt you would to my face. I didn't backtrack. My statement was true. UT had more talent than Florida for pretty much Fulmer's entire tenure.

BTW, little boy, I never said Florida's teams weren't talented. Face the facts, Fulmer under performed as head coach while here given the talent on the roster

Easy to say to someone on a message board. Doubt you would to my face. I didn't backtrack. My statement was true. UT had more talent than Florida for pretty much Fulmer's entire tenure.

BTW, little boy, I never said Florida's teams weren't talented. Face the facts, Fulmer under performed as head coach while here given the talent on the roster

You may be a great guy, a helluva guy in person....but your posts on here suggest otherwise. If you're gonna dish it out, put on your big boy pants and take it.

Fulmer didn't underperform for the majority of his coaching career. When he had it rolling in the 90s, his teams were as good as any in the country. He fell off at the end, but a big part of that, as Doug Mathews has catalogued, was a function of changes in administration/leadership and policy at the university that changed/limited who he could get admitted into the university.

He was out coached by an all-time college football great in Steve Spurrier, and that was about it. Yet, even so, Fulmer beat Spurrier 3 times, more than any other coach outside of maybe Bobby Bowden during Spurrier's time at Florida iirc. And as I've correctly stated multiple times now, had Spurrier not been at UF, Fulmer would've bolstered his HOF career even further.

You may be a great guy, a helluva guy in person....but your posts on here suggest otherwise. If you're gonna dish it out, put on your big boy pants and take it.

Fulmer didn't underperform for the majority of his coaching career. When he had it rolling in the 90s, his teams were as good as any in the country. He fell off at the end, but a big part of that, as Doug Mathews has catalogued, was a function of changes in administration/leadership and policy at the university that changed/limited who he could get admitted into the university.

He was out coached by an all-time college football great in Steve Spurrier, and that was about it. Yet, even so, Fulmer beat Spurrier 3 times, more than any other coach outside of maybe Bobby Bowden during Spurrier's time at Florida iirc. And as I've correctly stated multiple times now, had Spurrier not been at UF, Fulmer would've bolstered his HOF career even further.

From 2002-2008 it was nowhere near acceptable. So you're completely wrong that he didn't under perform for most of his career. We had two top 5 finishes in the 90s....not nearly the national contenders we should ahve been considering we had more talent that virtually everyone. Matthews' opinion is laughable as to the reasoning Fulmer slid into mediocrity. They're close friends so I can understand his unwillingness to face the facts. I suppose it wasn't Fulmer's fault that our special teams became a disaster his last few years:birgits_giggle: I suppose it's wasn't Fulmer's fault that beginning in 2002 we started getting blown out at home by our biggest rivals..so no, it couldn't have been Fulmer's fault we lost our home field advantage to our biggest rivals. Want a quick recap of all those bad losses??? And there's a reason no one gave him a sniff from a power 5 opening when he was dismissed here. It's because he never proved he could build from the ground up...from a disaster...After 2001, we were NEVER relevant as a national contender for the rest of his tenure. It's easy to throw out stats that sound good. Another case in point: stats are meaningless without detail. The Fulmer story is a perfect example of that truth

VN Store

Back