Fulmer debate extravaganza (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The great pumpkin was only successful until the rest of the conference upgraded their staffs and we were left in their rear view mirror because the great pumpkin was stubborn and so full of himself he could not get out of his own way.

Reactions: 1 person
At least that head coach would accept the blame and carry it on his shoulders. He didn't pass it off to the players.

Fulmer's idea of accepting blame is the same as what Dooley said and neither one is particularly comforting.

It's along the lines of "sure, it falls on me....AND everybody else in the organization, asst coaches, managers, players."

At least that head coach would accept the blame and carry it on his shoulders. He didn't pass it off to the players.

Sure. Fulmer responded to criticism by saying, "I've built some equity here" and "I didn't just get dumb overnight" and, finally, "we've won a bunch of games here"

Your statement had to be sarcasm. Phillip very rarely, if ever, thought anything was his fault

yeah, his last three years we were 24-15 with a SECCG appearance. Compared to our 18-20, he sucked pretty bad.

24-15 is inexcusable for a tenured coach. If you're happy with 8 wins a years and being blown off the feild by Fla in the 1st quarter then our standards are different. CDD gets another year to bring us back to the level you long for (8 wins) after that the standard gets higher. If CDD goes 24-15 the next 3 yrs he should be out too.

If you want to start another speculation thread, we should discuss if Fulmer would have fired Sanders after the 2005 season if RS didn't volutarily fall on the sword for his mentor and friend?

Same could have been said about 2008 if Phil was allowed to stay, if he would have fired Clawson. Thankfully Hamilton got one decision right in cutting him loose though.

24-15 is inexcusable for a tenured coach. If you're happy with 8 wins a years and being blown off the feild by Fla in the 1st quarter then our standards are different. CDD gets another year to bring us back to the level you long for (8 wins) after that the standard gets higher. If CDD goes 24-15 the next 3 yrs he should be out too.

ooh. Tough choice. Lets see...... an average of 8 wins per season including a trip to the SECCG or two losing seasons after hoping like heck to get a bowl bid for the Weed Eater bowl.

So far 24-15 has alot more appeal than 18-20 and spending the holidays at home.

ooh. Tough choice. Lets see...... an average of 8 wins per season including a trip to the SECCG or two losing seasons after hoping like heck to get a bowl bid for the Weed Eater bowl.

So far 24-15 has alot more appeal than 18-20 and spending the holidays at home.

That's just it, the way CPF declined over the last 6 years there is no reason to believe that he could reverse the trend. I don't think we would be any better now if he was still here. If by the grace of the allmighty CPF had survived another 3 yrs and averaged 8 wins then he would be fired now.
Averaging 8 wins and backing into the SECCG because others had a bad year dose not cut it in my opinion.

You are missing the point. Fulmer beating South Carolina makes him no different than any other during his tenure, so that sort of blows your whole 'bias' thing out of the water. He came close to winning the title in 01, but he didn't do it. Did you even have a point?
So how many times has your team beat the Vols since Fulmers departure?
Thats the point..get it?
I was also trying to politely tell you to mind your own affairs when it comes to this argument. guess you missed that point too.

That's just it, the way CPF declined over the last 6 years there is no reason to believe that he could reverse the trend. I don't think we would be any better now if he was still here. If by the grace of the allmighty CPF had survived another 3 yrs and averaged 8 wins then he would be fired now.
Averaging 8 wins and backing into the SECCG because others had a bad year dose not cut it in my opinion.

Guess what would happens is always fun. Cool think about guessing is that there's a 50-50 shot you're right. There's equal chance you're wrong too.

So far your master plan to put CPF out isnt working out too well. I say 'so far' because unlike you I cannot see into the future and know the outcome.

So how many times has your team beat the Vols since Fulmers departure?
Thats the point..get it?
I was also trying to politely tell you to mind your own affairs when it comes to this argument. guess you missed that point too.
To the first point, we have won two of the three meetings (lost 09, won the last two).

To the second point, if you don't like reading what I have to say, then use the ignore button. It won't hurt my feelings.

Guess what would happens is always fun. Cool think about guessing is that there's a 50-50 shot you're right. There's equal chance you're wrong too.

So far your master plan to put CPF out isnt working out too well. I say 'so far' because unlike you I cannot see into the future and know the outcome.

So you're argument is if CPF was still here he would have won more And he should not have been fired. And I'm not supposed to play what if. Or is your argument we should have kept a coach that was on a 6 year steady decline?

Paterno didn't reverse his losing trend, nor did the Bear, nor Bobby Bowden . . . oh well none of that matters.

So you're argument is if CPF was still here he would have won more And he should not have been fired. And I'm not supposed to play what if. Or is your argument we should have kept a coach that was on a 6 year steady decline?

you nor I know what our record would have been if he had stayed. If you think you know that then you are completely dilusional. He very well could have endured yet another sub .500 season. On the other hand he could have rebounded nicely as he did 06 and 07. We dont know and we will never know.

For me I would have wanted 2 things to happen. (1) if that was to be his last season, MH should have waited til the end of the season instead of cutting ties mid season. Nothing good comes from a mid year dismissal. Even worse is hiring the flavor of the month before all the bowl games were complete just in case there was a bigger fish than LK that would have liked the job. (2) I would have allowed 1 more season. If another season around .500, so be it and time to go. If there were improvements, lets see what happens. In the scenerio we went thru since his departure, nothing good came from it. At least if other measures were taken instead of knee jerk reactions we'd possible been in at least a better situation after LK left, if he was the best coach available. Again its a guess but all I know is the direction that was taken by the previous administration was a disaster and we're having to endure it.

you nor I know what our record would have been if he had stayed. If you think you know that then you are completely dilusional. He very well could have endured yet another sub .500 season. On the other hand he could have rebounded nicely as he did 06 and 07. We dont know and we will never know.

For me I would have wanted 2 things to happen. (1) if that was to be his last season, MH should have waited til the end of the season instead of cutting ties mid season. Nothing good comes from a mid year dismissal. Even worse is hiring the flavor of the month before all the bowl games were complete just in case there was a bigger fish than LK that would have liked the job. (2) I would have allowed 1 more season. If another season around .500, so be it and time to go. If there were improvements, lets see what happens. In the scenerio we went thru since his departure, nothing good came from it. At least if other measures were taken instead of knee jerk reactions we'd possible been in at least a better situation after LK left, if he was the best coach available. Again its a guess but all I know is the direction that was taken by the previous administration was a disaster and we're having to endure it.

If we are going to argue you are going to have to stop saying things I agree with. I would have been ok with one more year. I'm also willing to admit I liked CLK at first although by the time health left I was real tired of his act. Its only because of This one year hick up that I Think CDD should get another year. I'm not confident he will turn it around either.
CPF should have seen the writing on the wall. You can't lose to Bama and Fla every year and keep this job. Two losing seasons in four yrs was a death sentence.
One more year would have prevented the CLK thing and we would be better off now with a better hire than CDD.

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back