Fulkerson vs Alexander....

If Kyle had redshirted and was on the team last year, he would've been a more focal point of the offense and probably would have a better stat line than Fulkerson.

Fulkerson is obviously a great player now, but people underappreciate Kyle because we had Bone, Admiral, and Grant at the same time. As others have mention, look at the 2017-18 tournament when we lost him.

If Kyle had redshirted and was on the team last year, he would've been a more focal point of the offense and probably would have a better stat line than Fulkerson.

Fulkerson is obviously a great player now, but people underappreciate Kyle because we had Bone, Admiral, and Grant at the same time. As others have mention, look at the 2017-18 tournament when we lost him.
Kyle had also only played 2-3 years of basketball the day he arrived on campus. A redshirt year would have done him wonders.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol and VEKZY
Almost every game they did a segment on Kyle's rebounding radius and how hard and aggressively he gets rebounds from really far away. Jimmy Dykes was totally up Kyle's butt.
Kyle was not consistent with his rebounding. He had a few games where he looked like Rodman but most I saw he lacked that aggression.
For comparison- Alexander his Senior year averaged 6.7 rebounds in 24 minutes played.
Last year Fulky averaged 5.9 rebounds in 30 minutes per game.
Last year Anosike at Sacred Heart averaged 11.6 rebounds in 33 minutes per game.

Last edited:
Kyle has a brighter ceiling just based on measurables. Fulk will likely never see an NBA court at 6’7 and no real game other than around the rim.

Kyle has a brighter ceiling just based on measurables. Fulk will likely never see an NBA court at 6’7 and no real game other than around the rim.

I thought JF was 6'9". Fulk's offensive game improved dramatically last year. Should be no different this year.

I thought JF was 6'9". Fulk's offensive game improved dramatically last year. Should be no different this year.

I swear I just googled it and it said 6’7, and did it again and it says 6’9. At 6’9 he might be alright, I’m not sure he has the length Kyle did. I do expect Fulk to have a big year. If he can get a 3 game (I feel like we say this about everyone) then he will be a bigger star for this team.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Fulk is legit 6’9”. He’s able to creat and once he has an outside shot lookout.

Almost every game they did a segment on Kyle's rebounding radius and how hard and aggressively he gets rebounds from really far away. Jimmy Dykes was totally up Kyle's butt.
Yep, this. Out of area rebounds was something Dykes really harped on KA doing extremely well.

This is a bad comparison, Fulk and Kyle were placed in different situations. Kyle always had others out there with him and we never needed him to step up and provide more offensively. If Kyle would have been placed in the situation that John was placed in last year, I believe he would have had a similar stat line scoring as John except Kyle would have provided more blocks, rebounds, and more shooting range. Kyle just never got the shot to shine because we had Grant, Admiral, Lamonte, Bone, and Bowden.
Alexander was never going to shine as an offensive focal point, in my opinion. He was not strong with the ball and had not played long enough to have adequately developed his offensive skills.

I just don't remember him getting many big boards or playing aggressively down the stretch in 2019. Seems like he disappeared.
He did disappear at times because of fouls, and he did frustrate Barnes with his lack of aggressiveness, and Barnes expressed his displeasure many times. A redshirt year would have helped some, but he was never going to be the player Tennessee hoped for, and I think it's because he didn't play much organized ball prior to coming to UT.

I was watching highlights from the Memphis game Kyle's senior year yesterday and he was really good that day. Nearly a double double, 4 blocks, just one turnover. A play that stuck out was when he got an offensive rebound with two or three guys around him, and then smartly spun around for the easy layup rather than trying to go straight up with it. Also was heads up after the tip and scored like three seconds into the game. Hit a 3 as well in the game

I swear I just googled it and it said 6’7, and did it again and it says 6’9. At 6’9 he might be alright, I’m not sure he has the length Kyle did. I do expect Fulk to have a big year. If he can get a 3 game (I feel like we say this about everyone) then he will be a bigger star for this team.

If by length if you mean his arm length. I heard announcers say Fulk deflected so many passes and was disruptive in passing lanes because he had the arm spread of a 7 footer.

KA was a completely different offensive weapon by the time he was a junior. He could always run the floor, but he was really bad at actually catching the ball during fast breaks as an underclass man. He also developed a very effective baseline jump shot from 10-12 feet. No way the nun knocks TN out of the NCAAT if Kyle was on the floor.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
He did disappear at times because of fouls, and he did frustrate Barnes with his lack of aggressiveness, and Barnes expressed his displeasure many times. A redshirt year would have helped some, but he was never going to be the player Tennessee hoped for, and I think it's because he didn't play much organized ball prior to coming to UT.
He ended up being more than I ever hoped for when they signed him. JMO

Reactions: cardvolfan
Fulky is probably more talented, certainly more skilled. Defense and rebounding was Kyle's game, and he wasn't asked to score that much. Fulky became de facto number one option by the end of last year. I think they're very similar athletes, maybe Kyle has a slight edge. Kyle certainly was longer and taller so that helps him reach certain passes and grab certain rebounds that Fulky can't, so maybe that plays into it.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Kyle was not consistent with his rebounding. He had a few games where he looked like Rodman but most I saw he lacked that aggression.
For comparison- Alexander his Senior year averaged 6.7 rebounds in 24 minutes played.
Last year Fulky averaged 5.9 rebounds in 30 minutes per game.
Last year Anosike at Sacred Heart averaged 11.6 rebounds in 33 minutes per game.

Foul trouble...that's what always hindered Kyle's numbers in the down games. His 4 high rebound games, his highest fouls in those games was 2 so he was on the court more than 25 minutes in every game and had 10+ boards to show for it.

There's no doubt that Kyle playing 30+ would have been closer to 10 rebounds a game, and had he played at Sacred Heart with 30+ minutes a game he might have pulled down 15! Ya don't just teach 7'0" and a ridiculous wingspan of 7'4" with all that athletic ability to go along with it.

In his last season here he had just 8 games with less than 5 rebounds, and averaged for those games just 15.6 minutes. 4 of those games he accumulated 5 fouls, and 2 of those were against Kentucky (surprise)

Reactions: Vol49er
My issue with Kyle was his inability to dunk any and everything around the rim at his size. Seems like he put up a bunch of soft a*s layups that rimmed out, etc, but that's probably more indicative of him still being relatively new to the game.

Without a doubt, Alexander had more talent, but holy cow he was Charmin soft.
Alexander had more talent? Don't remember him laying 27 on anyone let alone Kentucky at Rupp. I think Fulky is going to absolutely ball out this year.

Alexander had more talent? Don't remember him laying 27 on anyone let alone Kentucky at Rupp. I think Fulky is going to absolutely ball out this year.

Alexander was playing alongside Bone, Grant, and Admiral, pretty hard to drop 27 with that line-up when you aren't asked to be a scorer.

but yea, scoring is the only measurement of talent. lmao

Alexander was playing alongside Bone, Grant, and Admiral, pretty hard to drop 27 with that line-up when you aren't asked to be a scorer.

but yea, scoring is the only measurement of talent. lmao
It may not be the only metric but it's the one that gets you paid!!

VN Store

Back