Fulkerson vs Alexander....

Fulkerson is like a taller Grant Williams in his game; he’s not really comparable to Alexander.

For what it’s worth, I do wonder if Alexander really had the mindset to take over and score over 25 in a game, even if Williams/Schofield/Bone weren’t there. Def a defensive phenom, but I don’t know if he had that same aggressiveness on offense.

At this point in his career Fulkerson is a far better player than Alexander. Fulkerson is one of the best players in the SEC he put up the numbers last season and expect even better this season.

Reactions: walkenvol
At this point in his career Fulkerson is a far better player than Alexander. Fulkerson is one of the best players in the SEC he put up the numbers last season and expect even better this season.
I feel like Fulk doesn’t have his go to move just yet. The closest thing would probably be his mid post face up and spin. Kyle had 1-2 go to moves that were basically unguardable.

Fulkerson is like a taller Grant Williams in his game; he’s not really comparable to Alexander.

For what it’s worth, I do wonder if Alexander really had the mindset to take over and score over 25 in a game, even if Williams/Schofield/Bone weren’t there. Def a defensive phenom, but I don’t know if he had that same aggressiveness on offense.
His (Alexander) career high was 19, so I’d think he had the ability to score more if needed.

His (Alexander) career high was 19, so I’d think he had the ability to score more if needed.
Didn’t say he couldn’t, I just don’t think he had that kind of mindset (like I’m gonna be The Man on offense), likely due to his lack of basketball experience. Kind of like Fulkerson at the beginning of last year

Either way, they’re way different as players. I would expect Fulk to have a junior Grant Williams kind of year, not one that mirrors Alexander at all

Please remind us of those 2 unstoppable moves as I remember KA getting his shots in the flow of the offense but I’m more forgetful these days
I feel like he had a face up/turnaround jumped in the post, then he had a pretty nice drop step move I think. I definitely remember the face up jumper though

I recall him having a fairly accurate jumper from 15’ in. I just Don’t recall him creating that shot for himself. Not meant as a knock on KA as I think he was a good player. Your video highlighted how well he ran the floor for a big

Reactions: Dallasbowlin
Kyle had also only played 2-3 years of basketball the day he arrived on campus. A redshirt year would have done him wonders.
If Kyle had half the aggressive attitude of Fullerton, he would have been All SEC and a first round draft pick.

If Kyle had half the aggressive attitude of Fullerton, he would have been All SEC and a first round draft pick.
I partially agree. Aggressiveness doesn't always equal "better". Some guys are too aggressive (Derrick Walker), especially on the defensive end, and it leads to foul trouble. Being too aggressive on offense can lead to TOs, bad shots, and sloppiness. KA could have certainly been more aggressive around the basket, offensively, where he often would look to use touch on shots instead of dunking the ball. Defensively, I think he was too aggressive as a young player, and it prevented him from staying on the floor because of foul trouble. That dialed back as he matured and learned how to defend better without fouling.

Kyle is soft? You do realize he didn't start playing basketball until late high school, worked his tail off and became a big piece for our rebuilding of the program. Not to mention, he is now in the NBA and has a lot of upside. I wish people who didn't even play basketball outside of intramurals would stop starting threads about players.

I partially agree. Aggressiveness doesn't always equal "better". Some guys are too aggressive (Derrick Walker), especially on the defensive end, and it leads to foul trouble. Being too aggressive on offense can lead to TOs, bad shots, and sloppiness. KA could have certainly been more aggressive around the basket, offensively, where he often would look to use touch on shots instead of dunking the ball. Defensively, I think he was too aggressive as a young player, and it prevented him from staying on the floor because of foul trouble. That dialed back as he matured and learned how to defend better without fouling.

Really tough to be aggressive as a center when the offense runs through the other post and you’re the 6th option on offense. I think people forget he got little opportunity on the offensive end. He shot over 60% from the floor his last two years.

Really tough to be aggressive as a center when the offense runs through the other post and you’re the 6th option on offense. I think people forget he got little opportunity on the offensive end. He shot over 60% from the floor his last two years.
Yeah, I guess it depends on what definition of aggressive one is using. Your point is spot on if the idea is that he should have been more aggressive hunting for offensive opportunities. If the criticism is that he wasn't aggressive going to the basket when he had the ball in scoring position, choosing to lay it in instead of slamming it home, then I think that was a fair criticism early in his career.

Fulky is light years better offensively and is truly a “glue guy” type player. Not to mention almost won SEC POY last year. You never have to question his effort or want to.
I think he’s in contention for it this year along with at least 2 others on the roster

Reactions: TheBigOne10
Fulky is light years better offensively and is truly a “glue guy” type player. Not to mention almost won SEC POY last year. You never have to question his effort or want to.
His motor is something you rarely see in any sport. He leaves EVERYTHING on the court every time. It's a pleasure and honor to watch this true Tennessean give his all for Tennessee.

To be fair, Barnes pushed Fulkerson on a daily basis to be more offensive minded all last season. It was a continuous theme in interviews with Barnes.

I actually wouldn't be surprised at all if as the season wears on if the guards take over more scoring and Fulkerson's numbers (at least in points per game) drop off.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
To be fair, Barnes pushed Fulkerson on a daily basis to be more offensive minded all last season. It was a continuous theme in interviews with Barnes.

I actually wouldn't be surprised at all if as the season wears on if the guards take over more scoring and Fulkerson's numbers (at least in points per game) drop off.

Yeah there is going to be more fire power on the roster this year. If Fulk’s PPG decrease this season it will not be a shocker.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Kyle wasn't soft, his penchant for touch fouls forced him to play soft.
In the SEC, where they call way too many fouls, his length and possibly being out of position was his problem.
I don't have the time to do the analytics, but KA was ALWAYS getting into foul trouble which kept him from playing more aggressive.

With that, give me Fulky and his work ethic all day. I expect a solid senior year out of him.

Besides Fulky, who are the top contenders for SEC POY?
I know I don't keep up with the rest of the SEC enough to give an educated guess. I don't even know if Fulk is legitimately considered a "top contender." I would think so, but I definitely don't know.

VN Store

Back