From an AD perspective

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
We didn’t let a blue blood steal our coach. Maybe Barnes is worth $5 mil and maybe he isn’t. But we stood our ground and kept our guy. Other teams think our coach is worth more than he is making here and we kept him. That’s a win and a statement that might not have happened under other athletic directors. I’m a Fulmer fan. He won. Bravo. Go VOLS!

It is a huge commitment for a “football” school to make to the basketball program and will bode well for us down the road, imo...

OTOH , don’t do it and you are more than likely starting over in a bad way.

Glad they stepped up!
Chances are we would get “Gundyed” in trying to hire another coach. Instead UCLA was left holding the bag of money.

Reactions: vol66
We didn’t let a blue blood steal our coach. Maybe Barnes is worth $5 mil and maybe he isn’t. But we stood our ground and kept our guy. Other teams think our coach is worth more than he is making here and we kept him. That’s a win and a statement that might not have happened under other athletic directors. I’m a Fulmer fan. He won. Bravo. Go VOLS!
Well said!

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism

I think it’s bigger than that on the part of both parties. This is not ridiculously different than what happened with Martin and Cal.

He wanted security.

The difference is that in the basketball world, Barnes is considered HOF. He’s well liked and considered blue blood, though he hasn’t coached at one of those programs.

This makes the statement many fans have complained about, that the admin won’t pay.

This tells all the coaches out there...We Will.

To be sure, results will matter now, but no UT fan can say now, “we won’t commit to winning at basketball”.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
Freak...…… Fulmer bleeds Orange I promise you that. He and Johnny are both from Franklin County and we border that other state. No one wants to have UT first in everything we do more than true Orange fans from down here. Ask Jauan Jennings he is originally from Franklin County. Former players Jeff Hall and Tracy Hayworth both are from here and turned out to be great guys too.

I understand that we actually are paying less than what UCLA offered. The balance could be made up in assistant coach salaries.

Really agree with this. Great points. Also, I love this (NSFW, there’s an F bomb as you know if you’ve seen the movie)

Mark Few has been offered big money several times and has turned it down.
There is a reason why Indiana does not want Alford and there was controversy at UCLA when he was hired. He allegedly tried to cover up a rape allegation concerning one of his players while at Iowa. I have no idea if it is true though,

The Zags are built, it’s a thing...no competition, it’s all they got, a job for life...not saying they can’t get him, but...

Fulmer ain’t messing around. Makes you wonder what utad folk were thinking previously w Currie. Love for your state and university and competency goes a long way.

Reactions: greyhound
I think it’s bigger than that on the part of both parties. This is not ridiculously different than what happened with Martin and Cal.

He wanted security.

The difference is that in the basketball world, Barnes is considered HOF. He’s well liked and considered blue blood, though he hasn’t coached at one of those programs.

This makes the statement many fans have complained about, that the admin won’t pay.

This tells all the coaches out there...We Will.

To be sure, results will matter now, but no UT fan can say now, “we won’t commit to winning at basketball”.
This just doesn’t correspond to fact. Barnes was already the 2nd highest paid in SEC. Lanier was the 2nd highest paid assistant in the entire country.
Barnes would have gotten a pay bump and extension regardless.

Reactions: IPleadInsanity

Here is my thought on it. Barnes most likely has 5-6 seasons left. He was getting a 4-5 year deal at UCLA. So while people may consider his salary to be overpaying, it doesn't matter for a coach who is most likely hanging it up after 4-5 years from now.

I don't have an issue with it as this would have been his last contract, with UCLA or Tennessee, so it isn't like we are handicapping our future. I think we actually save money not having to worry about poaching a guy with buyout and paying him. We also keep Barnes instead of some likely up and comer, midmajor coach.

I can't think of a number that would have been out of the question. I guess whatever number would put our finances in trouble....

Stability is worth $1 million a year or maybe more at this point when you have a solid coach for UT. Is RB worth it? I'd have to say yes in the coaching world we live in now. I hope our football coach becomes worth 8 million a year.

Mark Few has been offered big money several times and has turned it down.
There is a reason why Indiana does not want Alford and there was controversy at UCLA when he was hired. He allegedly tried to cover up a rape allegation concerning one of his players while at Iowa. I have no idea if it is true though,
Yet you throw it out here....bravo

VN Store

Back