Friday Night Soccer vs #8 Georgia in Athens.

StrangeVol

The game is set for 7:00 and will be televised via the SEC Network.

While Georgia is ranked 8th in the NCAA standings and is tied for second in the SEC, it's not clear to me just how good they are. Frankly, the preseason projections and the current standings don't seem to have anything to do with each other. Preseason they were picked 9th, two spots below us. They are presently 1-0-1 having gotten a win at home over South Carolina, to open their season, and tieing Florida on the road. Both SC and FL are supposed to be good but I'm not sure we can tell yet who is actually good and who is not so good. Suffice to say it's confusing.

So we'll show up in Athens and do what we can to get a result. Beyond that I'd speculate we'll be an underdog but by how much? I'm clueless.

So there it is and that's all I can say about this match.

A couple of other items I need to mention. Wrenne French, our hard-working middle back defender, was named to TopDrawer Soccer's "Team of the Week." Recognition well deserved for our senior leader. Also noteworthy, our Jaida Thomas, who got the winning goal in our last match, was named The SEC Freshman of the Week, which is kind of a big deal. Yeah Jaida and Wrenne! :)

Which leads me to a couple of other thoughts. First, our front line may be jelling with #2 Jaida Thomas showing her skills and energy to go with #5 Erin Gilroy and #31, Mackenzie George. All three of these young ladies are very talented and once they adjust to playing with each other on a regular basis, I think we'll see more balls in the goal off of our boots. Also, our defense played much much better in their second outing lead by #15 The aforementioned Wrenne French, #3 junior Abbey Burdette, and Mackenzie Ostrom, #19. Midfielders were much better last match with #8 Tara Katz, #10 Hannah Tillet our MTSU transfer, and #29 Giselle Washington each keep things orderly in the midfield.

One thing is for sure, we are getting better and the chess pieces are falling into place. Still, room for others to step up and make us even better. At this point, I'm starting to think we may be on the verge of becoming sneaky good. Here's hoping! :)

P.S. Question for you guys. If Soccer is here can Volleyball be far away? ;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure why, but Izzy hasn't gotten the minutes so far that I've expected her to have. She had 48 against 'Bama but only about 30 against Vandy. I have no idea why. Possibly a minor injury or illness? Not sure but she is very good at midfield, just hasn't gotten a lot of run, so far.

P.S. Answer to the question above. Nope...it will be here in about 2 weeks. :)

Last edited:
Playing okay so far...except for Lindsey Romig messing up that clearance and handing GA an easy goal. We don't seem to be as confident this week as we were against Vandy. We'll see how the second half goes.

I did not see the fire we had against vandy and passing not so good. Thomas needs to play all she can and as Strange reference last week we really do not have a scorer! Thats about all this old set of soccer eyes saw!

If we just had a couple of more like Thomas we might be dangerous, because she really has skills. How many in front of the net shots did we try to boot out of the stadium? We really are lacking scorers but you cannot not score if you lack skill when handling the ball. Really came out on our heels til they scored then we started trying to do something. Not horrible but not near good enough.

Playing okay so far...except for Lindsey Romig messing up that clearance and handing GA an easy goal. We don't seem to be as confident this week as we were against Vandy. We'll see how the second half goes.
That was bad. She pretty much took a shot at her own goalie and then made little effort to go get the ball.

That's a tough loss to swallow. We played well enough to win IF we could figure out how to put the damn ball in the net! Lindsey was lights out in goal defensively the whole night except for the muffed clearance which gave them a room service scoring opportunity, which the promptly cashed in. What is most galling is that we had 12 shots but only 3 were on goal. That's just depressing. Georgia in contrast had 11 shots of which 6 were on goal. We won't win many matches shooting like that.

That's all I got at the moment. I'm pretty frustrated at this very poor offensive effort. I may have more to say tomorrow when stats are available and then again, I may not.

VN Store

Back