Freedom to Vote Act Fails

"The Freedom to Vote Act would have, among other things, established Election Day as a national holiday, set national minimum standards for early voting and voting by mail, and created new requirements for groups not currently required to disclose their financial donors. It also included standards for states that require voter identification, something that was a priority of Manchin."

1. National holiday is ok in my books if congress wants to do it.
2. National standards for early voting and vote by mail, I dont like. That's a state thing.
3. Financial donors would have been a good thing
4. ID thing is again a state thing.

Unless the feds are going to completely take over state and local elections at a federal level, I dont think they should have the power to set minimums. It's certainly not something I want; but I could see them giving themselves that power, constitutionally. It would just take a complete rewrite that wasnt part of this bill, so the Rs did right to deny it.

"The Freedom to Vote Act would have, among other things, established Election Day as a national holiday, set national minimum standards for early voting and voting by mail, and created new requirements for groups not currently required to disclose their financial donors. It also included standards for states that require voter identification, something that was a priority of Manchin."

2. National standards for early voting and vote by mail, I dont like. That's a state thing.

Unless the feds are going to completely take over state and local elections at a federal level, I dont think they should have the power to set minimums. It's certainly not something I want; but I could see them giving themselves that power, constitutionally. It would just take a complete rewrite that wasnt part of this bill, so the Rs did right to deny it.

National Holiday just gives federal and most state employees another day off, screw that!

68115862.jpg

National Holiday just gives federal and most state employees another day off, screw that!

They should have Election Day off, if we want them to actively participate in a representative democratic republic.

Reactions: dovervolz
If they want to participate in our representative democratic republic they will figure out how without the taxpayers footing the bill.

Elections are so sacred we have to do everything we can to keep people from them.

What are “National minimum standards” for early voting?

What are “National minimum standards” for early voting?

I think they want to simplify the chart in this document.

Early Voting In-Person Voting

It's definitely a state issue, though.

Edit: South Cackalackie, Missouri, Mississippi, Connecticut, and New Hampshire have no early voting access. Votes not cast on election day require absentee ballots.

Last edited:
and believe it or not i had this rare thing called an "id" to do it. they made me show it every single time.

I've voted several times without an ID. Gotta love small towns where everyone knows everyone else.

They should have Election Day off, if we want them to actively participate in a representative democratic republic.
Should April 15th be a national holiday? Uncle Sugar needs his money. I mean people are expected to pay their fair share to participate in a representative democractic republic.

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back