*****Freak's night before the Ole Miss game, admittedly off topic thread

My son called and suggested we meet up for the game at Neyland. Unfortunately I had to cancel that as I have about a 4 inch incision on my left side of my torso where my skin doctor took a precancerous myeloma out. I've had these done on my back. shoulders, off my head previously and recovery was not an issue. This time where the sticthes are hurts like crazy and I'm actually taking advil which is really unusual. I thought it was different this time as when the nurse injected me with the numbing agent those hurt a lot which previously were just a nuisance. Anyway I'll be in my big ol' easy chair in my man cave nursing these stiches and cheering the Vols on tomorrow night. It ought to be a rocking house and this could be one for the ages. Time will tell. GBO!

This is the biggest game I can remember in quite a while. And it’s not just as it pertains to the sec East race…it’s the psychological effect of lane kiffin coming to town. If we could win I think many of us could forever move beyond the kiffin stuff. Many thought we needed to go back for him again this past cycle. He’s clearly matured amd is an excellent offensive coach. But heupel’s resume is superior to kiffin’s as an offensive guru. The reason many don’t seem to recognize this is heupel doesn’t seek out attention. That should be a good thing imo. Anyway, for heupel to win in his first season while kiffin has a heisman candidate and is in his second year would be so significant.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
Are the Royal Red shrimp in season? If you haven't had them, you need to! Just barely cook them though.
Absolutely. Wouldn’t but anything but down here. They seem to be getting thin though (and expensive). Guess it’s getting that time of year.

I'm excited that we aren't playing at noon this week. The atmosphere should be rocking in Neyland at night. This isn't a game many predicted we would win heading into the season, but it would be a huge step for our program.

Who's heading to the game this weekend? How far are you traveling to get here? Any tailgating plans?

For those watching on TV, are you watching at home or out at a restaurant/bar? If you're at home, what's on the menu? Watching with friends and/or family?

What other games are you looking forward to this weekend? Are there any college/pro/high school games that you're particularly interested in? I'll be honest, I've been so focused on this game, I haven't even really paid much attention to the schedule. I see the Braves play on Saturday night during the Tennessee game, so I'll be missing that.

As always, use this thread to talk about anything that's on your mind, Vols football-related or otherwise. Also, don't forget to enter this week's pick contests before noon tomorrow.
Watching the game here in the DFW area. Just moved here for work, and I really miss the excitement of Knoxville on a Fall weekend. Everyone be safe getting to Rocky Top, and GBO!

Watching Clemson v Syracuse. Ugly. Clemson has now contracted QB-itis. He's horrible......if anything he's a runner first, and a POOR thrower. IMO, this is good for us. Offensive players will be thinking twice, and good for TN showing offensive excitement over the past 2 games. Will be interesting to see Clemson the rest of the year, and the next......not sure I've seen the wheels come off this fast, with LSU being an exception.

Clemson QB has to be a dead man walking. But, hey, if he's the best option "to win the game", you're in a world of hurt. Ask VN. If we see Clemson shopping in the xfer portal, that'll say a lot. Personally, I think it has a high potential.

Watching Clemson v Syracuse. Ugly. Clemson has now contracted QB-itis. He's horrible......if anything he's a runner first, and a POOR thrower. IMO, this is good for us. Offensive players will be thinking twice, and good for TN showing offensive excitement over the past 2 games. Will be interesting to see Clemson the rest of the year, and the next......not sure I've seen the wheels come off this fast, with LSU being an exception.

Clemson QB has to be a dead man walking. But, hey, if he's the best option "to win the game", you're in a world of hurt. Ask VN. If we see Clemson shopping in the xfer portal, that'll say a lot. Personally, I think it has a high potential.
I wonder how Clemson kept it so close with UGA. Syracuse seemed to move the ball on their defense okay tonight - just could not finish in the red zone. Hopefully gives us optimism bringing the Dawgs to Neyland.

Reactions: nomads-11
Thinking about the traditions of UT and Ole Miss.

They have given up their nickname Rebels. They used to waive confederate flags in the crowd. I remember being at a game at Neyland in my youth and seeing the stars and bars swaying proudly. An embarrassing and hypocritical representation that has somehow been forgotten. They went through "landsharks" and something about bears. Now they've settled on plain old "Ole Miss". A rebranding they've never been seriously called out on.

I take pride in the fact that I've been a Tennessee Volunteer. We've never had to apologize for that nickname and we never will.

Tradition may not amount to much nowadays but a sliver of the Gulf Coast, a reptile, or a completely generic team name like bulldogs doesn't hold a candle to being able to say that you're a Tennessee Volunteer

All this talk of tailgating and being in Neyland makes me feel nostalgic! Back in college, I went to every single home game and never missed one. It was tricky when I was an RA in North Carrick and Reese and I got assigned front desk duty but I always managed to switch my shift and keep my home football attendance record intact. Miss those days!

Reactions: txvol19
There's definitely pretentious assholes with degrees from both schools though. This forum is a perfect example.

Will be watching the game in enemy territory (Georgia) tomorrow night, but so far it seems most are on our side. Legoooooooooooooo!!!

GBO!!!

If you're one of those folks who likes to play drinking games like "drink whenever a team scores," a word of advice for tomorrow - don't.

Also, we discussed this in another thread earlier this week but please please please please please please please please Pride of the Southland please play this song tomorrow -

Band director? Murtha famous arranger for marching bands. Incidentally, Layla split with Lane long ago.:cool:

If I recall I read in a post you're in Texas. Do you have Raising Cane's? I had it once on my way to ATL and now I look for it every time I take a trip!
I live in Oklahoma. They have put a few zaxbys here but a few have already closed. Not a big hit here. Raising canes is awesome here. Hate to say it but one thing I miss is Krystals lol. GBO

VN Store

Back