Fr Eric Gray is 21 months older than Fr Darnell Wright...

My sons birthday is near the end of August so we had a choice of whether to let him be the youngest or oldest in his class. We kept him home with my wife an extra year even though he could already read and write then...which is 1st grade stuff. The school tried to get us to let him skip a grade (asked about 2) and basically make him a Doogie Howser. We politely declined. He made a B in 2nd grade, a B in 7th grade and all As the rest of his time in school. All AP classes. This year he is a senior and will be valedictorian . Other than senior English, all of his classes are at the local community college...but I still have to pay full tuition in order for him to be eligible to win valid victorian. The school said he has to be a "full time student paying full tuition" to be eligible for the honor. So it is.... we didn't start him late just for academics though, we wanted him to be more mature and hopefully stay out of trouble. It worked, he has never had a teacher call home or detention. Ever. Thank you, Lord. Very much

So far he has been offered a full ride to some small Christian schools but he wants to go to Liberty University in VA. They are only offering him a 50% ride... FWIW, there is 1 girl a week or 2 older than him and several kids within a month him. He isnt much older than the average kid in his class. Also...his accomplishments are just that...his. They are not his mothers and mine.

I can understand parents in our situation starting their kids later for several different reasons. We chose to send our kids to Christian school also. The first 18 years of a persons life can make the next 50 pretty easy and fun...or very hard and mostly miserable. Crazy that's the way of the world, but it is. Choose wisely.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
My sons birthday is near the end of August so we had a choice of whether to let him be the youngest or oldest in his class. We kept him home with my wife an extra year even though he could already read and write then...which is 1st grade stuff. The school tried to get us to let him skip a grade (asked about 2) and basically make him a Doogie Howser. We politely declined. He made a B in 2nd grade, a B in 7th grade and all As the rest of his time in school. All AP classes. This year he is a senior and will be valedictorian . Other than senior English, all of his classes are at the local community college...but I still have to pay full tuition in order for him to be eligible to win valid victorian. The school said he has to be a "full time student paying full tuition" to be eligible for the honor. So it is.... we didn't start him late just for academics though, we wanted him to be more mature and hopefully stay out of trouble. It worked, he has never had a teacher call home or detention. Ever. Thank you, Lord. Very much

So far he has been offered a full ride to some small Christian schools but he wants to go to Liberty University in VA. They are only offering him a 50% ride... FWIW, there is 1 girl a week or 2 older than him and several kids within a month him. He isnt much older than the average kid in his class. Also...his accomplishments are just that...his. They are not his mothers and mine.

I can understand parents in our situation starting their kids later for several different reasons. We chose to send our kids to Christian school also. The first 18 years of a persons life can make the next 50 pretty easy and fun...or very hard and mostly miserable. Crazy that's the way of the world, but it is. Choose wisely.

Does Liberty know your son has been offered full scholarships at other schools? Perfectly fine to mention this to them with the suggestion that he would love to go to Liberty but the finances are an issue. Worst that can happen is they say sorry, that’s the best we can do.

I have recently realized (because of Facebook Birthdays) that a lot of my classmates were 1 1/2 to 2 years older than me. I was 16 first couple months of HS Senior year, 17 YO graduate. I had a Freshman teammate on the Varisty Football team that was 6 months younger than me as a Senior. He failed a year early in 2nd grade and his dad held him back as a 6th grader due to football. He went on to play D1.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I have recently realized (because of Facebook Birthdays) that a lot of my classmates were 1 1/2 to 2 years older than me. I was 16 first couple months of HS Senior year, 17 YO graduate. I had a Freshman teammate on the Varisty Football team that was 6 months younger than me as a Senior. He failed a year early in 2nd grade and his dad held him back as a 6th grader due to football. He went on to play D1.
Same for me. 16 my senior year of high school..17 my freshman year at UT.

I get it. For whatever reason my family tree seems to bloom late. In the the seventies my uncle was around 5'10 when he graduated high school, although physically undeveloped he was a good basketball player on a state championship team. After high school he hit a growth spurt to 6"4 by age 20. I am sure he would have loved to have been held back. Just seems kinda cruel to get those extra 6 inches after the fact.
That’s what she said

I see my fair share in baseball. By the time they get to high school either they can play or they can’t.

Doesn’t help in USSSA , PG or showcase ball due to age restrictions, not determined by grade. Some daddy’s need their kids to look more dominant and holding them back does just that.

USSSA and PG/Showcase are all based on grade. There are regularly 15 year olds finishing 7th grade playing 13u ball.

My how times have changed.

My parents would have short bussed me to special-ed & made me go to summer school before they held me back a year.

VN Store

Back