Fr Eric Gray is 21 months older than Fr Darnell Wright...

Not at all absurd. Boys, on average, develop more slowly than girls. Three of our grandsons have 'late' (Oct-Nov) BD's and all three were started in school a year later than they could have. My teacher wife and Spec. Educator, oldest daughter, from experience, agreed it was the best choice. Very common around here.

I held my son back, he was all for it, he went from being youngest in his class to one of the older ones. He also then went on to play college ball. No regrets, and I don’t think he regrets it either. If that’s what a parent and their child wants to do then fine. No need to criticize them. What’s the harm in one more year of high school. My Son was a different player his senior year

I work with a guy who would played D1 football and just intentionally held his son back in 8th grade to give him another year of development. Absurd.

Here in Birmingham this a regular thing. Many people wondered why I didn’t hold my son back for athletics (early June bday). Considering he was in all accelerated classes except English (docs and engineers in the fam) I thought it was ridiculous. Most of those athletes still struggle in classes even when they are held back I’ve noticed.

Reactions: CA_Vol
Not at all absurd. Boys, on average, develop more slowly than girls. Three of our grandsons have 'late' (Oct-Nov) BD's and all three were started in school a year later than they could have. My teacher wife and Spec. Educator, oldest daughter, from experience, agreed it was the best choice. Very common around here.
I get it. For whatever reason my family tree seems to bloom late. In the the seventies my uncle was around 5'10 when he graduated high school, although physically undeveloped he was a good basketball player on a state championship team. After high school he hit a growth spurt to 6"4 by age 20. I am sure he would have loved to have been held back. Just seems kinda cruel to get those extra 6 inches after the fact.

Of course it's not absurd if it's done for developmental purposes.... especially if it happens early on. Sometimes though, I think it happens so parents can live vicariously through a 19 year old playing high school sports.

Reactions: TBrown
On holding kids back, people do what they need to do for their own situation. For some, that extra year of development is the most likely way for them to get the skills they need to get a scholarship - which may be the only chance they have to go to college and get a degree. It may also be a good calculation for top players too because that draft money is often the biggest deal you get.

Bottom line is people have to make choices that work best for them within the rules that exist.

Having played football in both Florida and Tennessee growing up, I saw this first hand. They have “watchers” that go to all these youth games down in Florida and if the kid is good in elementary or early middle school they tell the parents to hold them back a year.

Kelvin Benjamin couldn’t even finish his last half of his senior year because he turned 21 or something like that.

My son played in the youth championship before his 8th grade year here in Knoxville, and there were these adults all over the field talkin to kids and handing out cards to have their parents contact them for their best school/sports combo’s.

Shortly afterwards, kids that did well in that game, moved to new areas to be on better high school teams

I agree ...but it happens all the time. I refused to do it with either of my boys, but it blew my mind when I realized how often it was happening. I'll bet 10-20% of the boys in my son's Senior class will be 19 when they graduate.

I see my fair share in baseball. By the time they get to high school either they can play or they can’t.

Doesn’t help in USSSA , PG or showcase ball due to age restrictions, not determined by grade. Some daddy’s need their kids to look more dominant and holding them back does just that.

Of course it's not absurd if it's done for developmental purposes.... especially if it happens early on. Sometimes though, I think it happens so parents can live vicariously through a 19 year old playing high school sports.

This right here.....

Parents are looking for a way for their kids to excel at sports....an age and development loophole.

It’s not just sports. Some kids just need some maturity. Also, please f a kid has a fall bday the parents have to decide if they want their kid to be on younger end of the class or the older end of the class. You chose the latter for all 4 of mine and it had absolutely nothing to do with sports.

Football players take a little bit longer to pass that public education..

I work with a guy who would played D1 football and just intentionally held his son back in 8th grade to give him another year of development. Absurd.
How do you intentionally hold back a kid as a parent? Do his homework and take his tests for him?

I played a HS football game in Alabama one time. Caught a little 10yd out route on the opposing teams sideline. This dude (LB?) drilled me as I turned up the sideline. I flew into their players standing there. A bunch of em started celebrating the big hit. One of the players yelled "Hideeem aginn Daddy!".

That could be the same thing?

Here in Birmingham this a regular thing. Many people wondered why I didn’t hold my son back for athletics (early June bday). Considering he was in all accelerated classes except English (docs and engineers in the fam) I thought it was ridiculous. Most of those athletes still struggle in classes even when they are held back I’ve noticed.
Probably because their parents are emphasizing the wrong things.

I dont believe T1 or Transition 1 stil exist. I have a July birthday and assume my teacher and parents thought going from Kindegarten to T1 then to 1st grade was better for me. I was 18 going into my senior year and looking back was glad it happened that way.

This is more common than you'd think. Pretty common in some Catholic private schools in Cali fo sho.

VN Store

Back