Found the beer barrel

Hell to the MF YEAH! There She BLOWS!!!!!

"Hey Niedermeyer!"
76a13d66-5a7a-4eb4-8574-48307e263729_100_h_6.gif

what’s the story on why it was taken away anyway?
A fatal alcohol-related car crash involving two UK football players a week before the 1998 contest prompted the end of the barrel exchange. Kentucky athletic director C. M. Newton expressed the idea that the ongoing use of an alcohol container as a trophy would be inappropriate under the circumstances. The ceremony was cancelled for the 1998 game, and the two schools mutually agreed to permanently discontinue the tradition before the 1999 game.[

what’s the story on why it was taken away anyway?

"A fatal alcohol-related car crash involving two UK football players a week before the 1998 contest prompted the end of the barrel exchange. Kentucky athletic director C. M. Newton expressed the idea that the ongoing use of an alcohol container as a trophy would be inappropriate under the circumstances. The ceremony was cancelled for the 1998 game, and the two schools mutually agreed to permanently discontinue the tradition before the 1999 game"

Reactions: RollerVol
well, the way I remember the reason was before or after the game some boys were loaded up in a truck and had a bad wreck and one or maybe two were killed..seems it was something like that...

GO BIG ORANGE!

A fatal alcohol-related car crash involving two UK football players a week before the 1998 contest prompted the end of the barrel exchange. Kentucky athletic director C. M. Newton expressed the idea that the ongoing use of an alcohol container as a trophy would be inappropriate under the circumstances. The ceremony was cancelled for the 1998 game, and the two schools mutually agreed to permanently discontinue the tradition before the 1999 game.[

thanks K...thought it was something like that...

GO BIG ORANGE!

I can respect that. I honestly thought it would have been something silly considering today’s world.

Thank you

Well I guess that brings up the question if it was agreed to do away with it then did we just never give it back or do they just exchange it off record?

Well I guess that brings up the question if it was agreed to do away with it then did we just never give it back or do they just exchange it off record?
Kentucky–Tennessee football rivalry - Wikipedia
"The actual barrel was in UT's possession when the schools ended the exchange, but its current whereabouts have not been made public. It has not been displayed since 1997, and it was not transferred to Kentucky when the Wildcats broke the Volunteers' long series winning streak in 2011.[3]"

such a pretty picture but two too much blue the last few years!

UTvsUK.jpg

Last edited:

VN Store

Back