Fortner/Landers wouldn’t “go there” on Holly.

Vfl2407

I’ve watched most of the SEC tourney and the on set banter between games of the hosts.
And somebody can correct me if I’m wrong, but Nell Fortner and Andy Landers never once mentioned the possibility that Holly was fighting for her job.
The only talk about Tennessee was about being on the bubble, Charlie Creams bracketology thoughts, and how it would be our first time in history not to make the NCAA tourney.
I kept saying to my tv, so what happens if Tennessee doesn’t make the tourney? Come on guys. Talk about the possibility of Holly resigning or being fired. Talk about the fall of this program. Talk about where’s all the Orange that used to follow the team to Greenville and other tourney sites.
It is a big story. Some might say it’s the biggest story of the tourney.
Yet, probably because they are both former coaches and probably friends with Holly, they’ve ignored it. Sad.

I’ve watched most of the SEC tourney and the on set banter between games of the hosts.
And somebody can correct me if I’m wrong, but Nell Fortner and Andy Landers never once mentioned the possibility that Holly was fighting for her job.
The only talk about Tennessee was about being on the bubble, Charlie Creams bracketology thoughts, and how it would be our first time in history not to make the NCAA tourney.
I kept saying to my tv, so what happens if Tennessee doesn’t make the tourney? Come on guys. Talk about the possibility of Holly resigning or being fired. Talk about the fall of this program. Talk about where’s all the Orange that used to follow the team to Greenville and other tourney sites.
Yet, probably because they are both former coaches and probably friends with Holly, they’ve ignored it. Sad.
The bigger question is : is this a legit issue outside of the world of vol nation . Just because that’s the overwhelming feeling here doesn’t make it true . The only media I have heard acknowledge it is John Adams . Never ever by a media person on air ......

The bigger question is : is this a legit issue outside of the world of vol nation . Just because that’s the overwhelming feeling here doesn’t make it true . The only media I have heard acknowledge it is John Adams . Never ever by a media person on air ......

Oh, believe me, it’s a big story nationally in wbb circles and certainly it is in SEC circles.
We are still the landmark program in wins and attendance in this conference.
Our fall and all of the negative records that Holly has set are a big story.
They just don’t want to touch it.

Weeks ago there was lots of noise about Holly's job, not so much recently. What's changed? Maybe Phil internally announced this is Holly's last season to folks. Analysts (Nell Fortner, Andy Landers, etc.) probably heard the scuttlebutt and feels mentioning Holly's job at this point is like...
l1v7vxl3kayl.gif

After the Tenn. game the other night, the anchor ask Andy what Holly had to do to prepare the team for Miss. St. His statement was "I don't know" and the look on his face mirrored his statement. He went said "this team is a mystery to me" (paraphrased). He went on to say you never knew which team would show up. Said something about the loss of and on court leadership lacking at present. He didn't defend Holly nor did he blame her outright. Said something about development. I felt from his responses to things ask that he feels Holly is gone. I may be reading too much into his look and answers but that's what I heard and saw.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
I wish U.T. had a Frank Broyles type A.D. Frank was the kind who wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on head coaches and assistants who couldn't hack it. Sentimentality didn't mean spit with him.

And look how well his programs did....

And look how well his programs did....

Damn sight better than Holly’s that’s for sure. Not saying he was the greatest coach in history, but the man did win almost 900 games and had a 74% win record over his career. Most of which he had to coach in the SEC against Pat, who he rarely beat.

I think he had the foresight to get while the getting was good. He coached that old style of basketball too and it just doesn’t work anymore.

The statements by Landers, current coaches, et al have been restrained, oblique, and gentle. Just what you would expect. A few others have been gentle and tasteful but you can hear the eye rolls (Lawson, Fortner). Certainly none of them have been screaming like those on this board, but you wouldn't expect that.

It is not that they don't see it.

Last edited:
Listen ..anybodt that doesnt like Tenn .. you think Andy Landers likes TN .. no way ..getting beat all those times when he was a GA .... they want Holly to stay and Tenn and keep floundering .. as well as current SEC coaches .. just like I wanted Ray Goff to stay coach at GA or MIke Shula at Ala ... keep floundering .... but their AD's and supporters got smart and got them outta there and on and on .... but it took a few hires to get it right .. so it may take a couple of different hires to get Lady Vol basket ball back but it can be done just like in Football it took Ala and Ga a few hires to get it right and now look at them ..2 best programs in SEC .. maybe our few hires has rolled aroung in football and this is the guy JP to get us there .. we can HOPE .... sorry to get on football but its a good analagy .

Damn sight better than Holly’s that’s for sure. Not saying he was the greatest coach in history, but the man did win almost 900 games and had a 74% win record over his career. Most of which he had to coach in the SEC against Pat, who he rarely beat.

I think he had the foresight to get while the getting was good. He coached that old style of basketball too and it just doesn’t work anymore.

You changed the subject. You were referring to Frank as an AD, not a coach. As to comparing his coaching, or for that matter nearly any coach to Holly, sets them up as coaching gods...

It's kinda sad to watch SEC Network or GameDay etc. These folks are not there to report what they actually see and hear. It's all very massaged information for the purpose of generating fan interest mainly from the 2 schools on stage. If either fanbase is turned off, then the channel gets changed and the network loses $$$. You never hear the guys calling anything @ either team bad. They'll talk VU up as much as possible today v LSU because their fans are 1/2 the potential viewing market.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I told y’all she literally cried at the post game presser on the sec network yesterday . The moderators and media gracefully ignored it . But you think she has already been told and was allowed to finish the year ?? That how she was acting to me ..

Reactions: mcannon1 and Will83
Oh, believe me, it’s a big story nationally in wbb circles and certainly it is in SEC circles.
We are still the landmark program in wins and attendance in this conference.
Our fall and all of the negative records that Holly has set are a big story.
They just don’t want to touch it.

"Oh, believe me, it’s a big story nationally "

No it isn't.

Reactions: T_Vol376

Nell and Holly are good friends. That’s all you need to know. I actually was thinking a few weeks ago that if UT wanted her to step aside gracefully and Phil couldn’t bear to do it that Nell would be the perfect conduit to sit down with her and say look you’ve got a legacy, your jersey is hanging etc etc

Is this what you want?

Andy and Nell: Hi coach Warlick, thanks for joining us in the post-game show.

Holly: Glad to be here.

Andy and Nell: So, fans on Volnation think you totally suck rotten eggs and they want you fired and then to be forced to take a walk off shame in front of thousands of jeering fans who will pelt you with the aforemented rotten eggs.
So Holly, what are your thoughts on that?

This is the SEC network. When covering games, their role is not to put the coaches on the spot but just to get their views on how the game went and to maintain a level of decorum.

"Oh, believe me, it’s a big story nationally "

No it isn't.

You think not? Then just wait until the selection show and see how many times “Tennessee” and “Lady Vols” are mentioned, whether they receive an invitation or not.

It has been a decade since Tennessee has been a legitimate contender for the Final Four, and many (ncluding your guy) have labeled the program “irrelevant.” But I’ll be darned if that irrelevant program doesn’t STILL garner a great dealof attention year after year. It must irritate the heck out of fans of other programs for an unranked, irrelevant team to always still manage to be one of the top stories — one way or another! — every dang year.

I always find myself laughing about it with friends every year as we watch the NCAA Tournament, about how it must chap the rears of Connecticut fans that they can go undefeated and win multiple consecutive national titles, but STILL people want to talk about Tennessee! 😂 It’s the only thing that makes the Lady Vols’ decline even remotely tolerable, that people still talk about them and give the program respect even when they seriously svck. 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVol1908
I really doubt these SEC analyst want to get involved in whether Holly is staying or going. I'm sure they have an opinion but really don't need to share it with the world. I doubt it would move Fulmer at all. He will make the decision at the end and I can live with what he decides. Personally she would be gone but he is the one that matters.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
If Holly stays attendance will drop further, and at this point what is the point with her staying. She has had 7 years and one could make a strong case we are going in the wrong direction just about in every phase of our play. Going further down this same path only takes the program to further lows, it doesn't take much watching our team the very basics of basketball have never been stressed or learned under Warlick.

VN Store

Back