Formula 1 Thread

I don't put as much stock in lemans as I do f1 WDC.

With the level of pay drivers and politics and regulations, I disagree. Why is Sergio Perez where he's at? Money. Why are Andre Lotterer and Loic Duval at? Because they're among the most talented racers in the world. Sportscar drivers drive hard and drive smart among conditions that would bring some F1 drivers to their wits end. Maybe if it was 2010 I would agree with you, but with Audi, Toyota, and Porsche among others going for Le Mans in 2014, it will be competitive as ever. If Mark got the WDC in 2010 people would just dismiss it as him having the car do the work, same as with Jenson. With him having the wins he does have in F1, Monaco, Silverstone, Nurburgring plus his record in sportscars should he pick up a Le Mans, he'd be right up there with Brabham as one of Australia's best ever and one of the best drivers to never win a WDC.

Reactions: 1 person
With the level of pay drivers and politics and regulations, I disagree. Why is Sergio Perez where he's at? Money. Why are Andre Lotterer and Loic Duval at? Because they're among the most talented racers in the world. Sportscar drivers drive hard and drive smart among conditions that would bring some F1 drivers to their wits end. Maybe if it was 2010 I would agree with you, but with Audi, Toyota, and Porsche among others going for Le Mans in 2014, it will be competitive as ever. If Mark got the WDC in 2010 people would just dismiss it as him having the car do the work, same as with Jenson. With him having the wins he does have in F1, Monaco, Silverstone, Nurburgring plus his record in sportscars should he pick up a Le Mans, he'd be right up there with Brabham as one of Australia's best ever and one of the best drivers to never win a WDC.

Alright lets break this down.

1. F1 now is no more littered with pay drivers than any point in the past. Check out the fields from the early 1990s where you had teams and drivers who never pre-qualified for a race, much less start one. Regardless we do not hold that against the greats such as Senna, Prost, and Mansell.

2. All racing requires money, some have more money to bring, others have less. To hold one series higher because they have a greater number of guys who couldn't get enough money lined up is silly.

3. Le Mans racing is chock full of drivers who are there just because they have enough money to do so. In fact they even have a class for it, LMGTE AM.

4. People can very easily question if it was the car in Le Mans as they can in F1. For instance in 1991, the 787b was not the best car there the Silk Cut Jags were faster, but they ran into problems during the race. Or this year, Audi could have locked out the podium but they ran into mechanical issues. Does this reflect badly upon the driver or the car? Also with driving duties split among 3 drivers, aren't you only as strong as your weakest driver?

With that said, if Webber achieves success with Porsche it will certainly help his career. I also have the utmost respect for sports car drivers and I think they are very talented, but I bet a huge number of them would swap out a Le Mans victory for the rarified air that is a F1 WDC.

Lewis on POLE!!!

Ferrari and Macca aren't going great.

I hope Merc can stay on this sort of clip during the race!

1372595700034.gif

Good race for Nico.

Bummed for Lewis, he could of had the win today. Great recovery.

Pirelli needs a sit down.

Alright lets break this down.

1. F1 now is no more littered with pay drivers than any point in the past. Check out the fields from the early 1990s where you had teams and drivers who never pre-qualified for a race, much less start one. Regardless we do not hold that against the greats such as Senna, Prost, and Mansell.

2. All racing requires money, some have more money to bring, others have less. To hold one series higher because they have a greater number of guys who couldn't get enough money lined up is silly.

3. Le Mans racing is chock full of drivers who are there just because they have enough money to do so. In fact they even have a class for it, LMGTE AM.

4. People can very easily question if it was the car in Le Mans as they can in F1. For instance in 1991, the 787b was not the best car there the Silk Cut Jags were faster, but they ran into problems during the race. Or this year, Audi could have locked out the podium but they ran into mechanical issues. Does this reflect badly upon the driver or the car? Also with driving duties split among 3 drivers, aren't you only as strong as your weakest driver?

With that said, if Webber achieves success with Porsche it will certainly help his career. I also have the utmost respect for sports car drivers and I think they are very talented, but I bet a huge number of them would swap out a Le Mans victory for the rarified air that is a F1 WDC.

I agree with a lot of that, but the talent level at the top of F1 compared with the top of sportcars is not close. The drivers in GTE Pro and LMP1 are ridiculously talented, and have to sustain that talent for hours and hours on end.

Webber has made the right move in my opinion, he was never going to win the F1 Championship at Red Bull - too much favouritism.

I agree with a lot of that, but the talent level at the top of F1 compared with the top of sportcars is not close. The drivers in GTE Pro and LMP1 are ridiculously talented, and have to sustain that talent for hours and hours on end.

Webber has made the right move in my opinion, he was never going to win the F1 Championship at Red Bull - too much favouritism.

Exactly, there's no room for subserviant number twos and galactically egotistical number ones who get the car designed toward their tendencies in sportscar racing. 9 drivers drive the Audi R18, 6 drivers drive the Toyota TS030, there is one goal and all of the drivers work towards that goal and if it is out of reach, they don't *****, they don't moan, they get on with the job of helping the other car work for that goal. These guys are absolute consummate professionals working for an organization which is bigger than them.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back