Former Bama players on getting paid

It is not as important that Alabama was paying player as much as it is important to note that the NCAA knew it and did nothing! Just for comparison Kansas in BB

Truly believe that that is why the NCAA never came out with NIL Guidelines in it's early stages. In their stupid minds figured it would hurt and change the top programs so they sat on it until we now have what we got today.

Who elevates NIL to the US Supreme Court not for the NIL guidance but for a challenge on Name Image and Likeness clarity as it pertains to the Athlete. This was a Chicken Sh** move.

There is no doubt that Schools pay kids in one form or another. To debate waste of time. The fact that the NCAA picks which schools to go after is the problem. NIL is the fix and the problem is that the NCAA did nothing to regulate it.

Nick is the one that opened up a can of worms and now has a target on his back. Dumb move in my opinion but the reasons he did it was to 1) Get the boosters involved, 2) Get the Alabama Laws changed that Boosters can participate and 3) slow the process down to catch up.

He and Emmert are standing at the Platform waiting for a train that has already left the Station.....

People say all kind of things about other people. Those kind of accusations don't carry much weight unless someone (to use a trendy new phrase) has the receipts to back it up. I'm sure Alabama has paid players over the years, but I'm not sure they've been given a pass by the NCAA to cheat more than everyone else.

People say all kind of things about other people. Those kind of accusations don't carry much weight unless someone (to use a trendy new phrase) has the receipts to back it up. I'm sure Alabama has paid players over the years, but I'm not sure they've been given a pass by the NCAA to cheat more than everyone else.

Don't kid yourself, Passes have been given in Football and Basketball. There is a long list in both sports....

Don't kid yourself, Passes have been given in Football and Basketball. There is a long list in both sports....They have delayed the Kansas Investigation by 5 years........took 5 to 7 years to complete NC investigation to find nothing. Yes the NCAA plays favorites if you produce Money for the NCAA.

Don't kid yourself, Passes have been given in Football and Basketball. There is a long list in both sports....They have delayed the Kansas Investigation by 5 years........took 5 to 7 years to complete NC investigation to find nothing. Yes the NCAA plays favorites if you produce Money for the NCAA.

Well, you could be right. I say that because I'm not privy to the facts one way or another. But, since I don't have conclusive evidence, I prefer not to kid myself in any direction, because I know that we all have a tendency to develop self-serving ideas.

If you beat your rival, they'll say you cheated, played dirty, or the officials cheated on your behalf. The more successful you are, the more people join that refrain. When you become as successful as Alabama has been, they say you cheated more than everyone else, and corrupted the regulators so that you could do it with impunity.

At that point it's considered truth by consensus opinion and your opponents rise up in righteous indignation and demand a new system (one that gives them the new advantage). That's a common process used to foment uprising and change the world, but that underlying "truth" isn't necessarily backed up by provable facts or even a credible hypothesis.

That article is a bit misleading. The player that is mainly quoted about Bama trying to pay him was a guy in the same high School class as me. I’m 40.

So he didn’t take Bama’s $, but went to FSU instead? I’m sure he did it out of the kindness of his heart, just like all the kids that attended F$U back then. Or now.

Last edited:
Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt bro

That article is a bit misleading. The player that is mainly quoted about Bama trying to pay him was a guy in the same high School class as me. I’m 40. So he didn’t take Bama’s $, but went to FSU instead? I’m sure he did it out of the kindness of his heart, just like all the kids that attended F$U back then. Or now.
He never said FSU didn’t pay him 🤷🏻‍♂️

Truly believe that that is why the NCAA never came out with NIL Guidelines in it's early stages. In their stupid minds figured it would hurt and change the top programs so they sat on it until we now have what we got today.

Its because there is no plan B, if you have no plan B... you pretend and extend as long as possible.

Who elevates NIL to the US Supreme Court not for the NIL guidance but for a challenge on Name Image and Likeness clarity as it pertains to the Athlete.

NIL is meaningless, although the specific state laws started to break the NCAA... its really about the whole ball of wax i.e. anti-trust. The Supreme Court gave clear guidance as far as anti-trust so the back of the NCAA has been broken. Its over, I doubt you see much as far as NIL and the Supreme Court as its immaterial after last years decision, generally speaking.

They're all criminals involved in a criminal racket.

Well, you could be right. I say that because I'm not privy to the facts one way or another. But, since I don't have conclusive evidence, I prefer not to kid myself in any direction, because I know that we all have a tendency to develop self-serving ideas.

If you beat your rival, they'll say you cheated, played dirty, or the officials cheated on your behalf. The more successful you are, the more people join that refrain. When you become as successful as Alabama has been, they say you cheated more than everyone else, and corrupted the regulators so that you could do it with impunity.

At that point it's considered truth by consensus opinion and your opponents rise up in righteous indignation and demand a new system (one that gives them the new advantage). That's a common process used to foment uprising and change the world, but that underlying "truth" isn't necessarily backed up by provable facts or even a credible hypothesis.
But if there is hard evidence and the history of cheating is there, it's easy to accuse.

Exhibit A: Bammers

They also use a quote from a player from 2000 responding to Saban, when Saban wasn’t even coaching Bama in 2000.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
NIL is essentially a welfare program for football and basketball players that now legitimizes what used to be illegal payments from boosters to players.
It has legitimized the corruption of college student-athletes. This all got started over a period of years when activists started complaining--without merit--that black athletes were being exploited by universities. Some of the student-athletes were from poor families, didn't have money to fly home for Christmas, blah, blah--and meantime the schools were making huge money from football games. The activists never talked about the free four-year college education the student-athletes were receiving, worth more than $200,000: free tuition, room, board, food, medical care, tutoring, counseling. Most regular college students in America go in debt to earn their degrees. You never heard--or hear--the activists or NIL proponents talk about the scholarship/education side because the scholarship is not cash. It's always about the cash. What's more, the scholarships, training, coaching, and TV exposure give the student-athletes to chance to play professionally--a chance most of them would /never/ have otherwise.

Sure, football programs make a lot of money. And then nearly all of that money gets reinvested in facilities and is used to fund all the non-revenue sports-- which are all that's left of amateur college athletics--pay for administration, travel, insurance, coaches salaries, etc. etc.

The NCAA can't regulate NIL because of the Supreme Court decision. How does it know what sort of regulations to implement without risking more lawsuits? Without regulations, the whole thing has predictably spun out of control and become very seedy and ridiculous can of worms. You've got athletic departments that now have to function as sport agents in addition to all their regular duties. The whole thing is mostly nonsense. I can see players or teams getting a cut of money if some private business uses their NIL to sell things--fine. But it all needs to be regulated, and pretty tightly, in my view. But even if it was, the NCAA doesn't have the manpower to scrutinize every business deal made by all of these shady boosters/bizmen.

Behond that, we've got athletic departments that are now going to pay student-athletes to maintain a certain GPA. Are you kidding? Talk about welfare. And most football and basketball players are not in demanding majors, to say the least. Most are in easy majors and take a lot of easy classes. It's ridiculous. What's ironic is that football and basketball players already have it much better than all the non-revenue athletes. They are all on full scholarships whereas the vast majority of non-revenue student-athletes are not.

giphy.gif

But it all needs to be regulated, and pretty tightly, in my view. But even if it was, the NCAA doesn't have the manpower to scrutinize every business deal made by all of these shady boosters/bizmen.

Why does it need to be "regulated"? If they are just simply college activities, why should anyone care? If you want a business than they are going to have to structure their business like everyone else has to do in this country. In which, they have been given a free pass to their criminal activity for quite some time.

The gig is up, there is no real easy solution for them at this point... pretend and extend until the wheels fall off.

Reactions: Adam2014
The only problem with NIL is the NCAA has yet to figure out a way to get a cut. They were always the middle man anyway. Time for the major conferences to do away with the NCAA and ignore them. Why should the NCAA get a cut of anything in college athletics like college football playoffs, or the Final Four? As far as I'm concerned the NCAA is a doomed insitution and needs to go the way of the dinosaur.

Reactions: tn4elvis

VN Store

Back