Former A.D. & HC Doug Dickey has a word about

He's absolutely right. I've been saying it for two years. The current playoff system is ruining college football. We need more teams in it, like mine Leach says, or we need to scrap it completely.

Reactions: VolRoger
It’s behind a paywall .
Could someone please summarize.
He basically says that teams that regularly make the playoffs have a huge advantage using that as a selling point in recruiting. Only 10 total teams (20 total spots) have made the playoffs in the 5 years of it's existence. Alabama has made it all 5 times, Clemson 4, Oklahoma 3, and Ohio State has made it 2 times. No one else (6 teams) has made it more than once.

Right now there are 34 bowl games for the FBS division in college football. Which means 68 teams are making a college football postseason appearance. Why not just have a 32 team playoff using home field advantage for the higher seeds thru the first 3 rounds?
$$$$$$$$ is why we have the bowl system. Playoffs work fine in Div II, but the money surrounding the bowl games drive the system to remain the same.

Just amazes me at the knowledge of our fanbase. They know more than CJP, more than AD Fulmer, and now I find out they know more than Doug Dickey. UT spent all that money on hiring an assistant coach when they could have gotten one of our own Vol Nation members who are much more knowledgeable, Jeeeeesh. no wonder we suck!

I respect the coach. And I think the playoff will expand after the first contact is over in 2026. But that isn't going to help Tennessee in recruiting. We can get recruits right now because of the ability for them to start immediately. Eventually, we have to get better talent by showing them we can win.
I think it is significant that the Freshmen we are bringing in are playing now over the ones that have been hanging around and showing up for meals for several years. We used to call these types.."ham & eggers." Last in line for drills in practice...First in the chow line.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
The playoff could expand and play some of the games in the major bowls, at least to 8 or 16 teams. If that makes the season to long go back to 11 games for the season.

I think it is significant that the Freshmen we are bringing in are playing now over the ones that have been hanging around and showing up for meals for several years. We used to call these types.."ham & eggers." Last in line for drills in practice...First in the chow line.

I saw interviews from the weekend where the "Memphis three" were all here for the game. They all commented on that being a lot of the appeal. They could come in and get immediate playing time.

I like the current playoff system with 4 teams. Don’t water it down like they have with the bowls.
The biggest change hurting the teams on the “outside looking in” is the hard 25 signing limit. When Saban took over he was the first to manipulate the rules and was signing 32-35 players for several years. Jones, and several others coaches saw how he worked the gray areas and followed suit. The NCAA decided to put a stop to it and put in the hard limit. Unless Pruitt or another coach can figure a way around this, the loaded teams will continue to be loaded (they don’t need to build, just replace) and the others will continue to be limited. Coaches that can develop stars from average talent will be the ones making the biggest gains.

Reactions: mercuryvol
recruiting, as a byproduct of the playoff system---that it is hurting UT & other schools.
He says the loss Saturday to Georgia shows that UGA has superior talent to UT.

Doug Dickey says College Football Playoff hurts Tennessee recruiting, but he has a solution

LSU, Auburn, Florida, Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Oregon, Texas, Penn State, Nebraska, etc...etc..etc.. all have not made the playoffs one time yet.
None of those programs except for Nebraska have been down anywhere near as bad as we are right now....
and their recruiting efforts do not seem to be hurting.

This current system could've HELPED TENNESSEE immensely in the past.

1970, '71, '72 teams...
The 1985 team had a slim chance of making it as the SEC champion who lost their starting QB mid-season...
The 1989 team was 10-1 and could have made the playoffs...
1995, 1996, 1997 teams all finished the regular season with 1 loss....and possibly could've made the playoffs.

So, I see it completely opposite.

The conference championships are the ticket to the playoffs....
We need to make one about every 4 years--thinking in reality here instead of dreamland.

GO VOLS

the old days were better when writers and coaches voted who was the best team after all the bowls. Alabama won a title in 72 even after losing their bowl game to notre dame.

Polls closed after regular season and Bowl games were not considered in final standings or picking National Championship.

He is right on in his opinion. Add into the equation the free agency rule, otherwise known as the transfer portal, and it further cements the problem. Ohio State and Oklahoma got starting qbs, and Georgia replaced a depleted receiving core via the portal.

And what happened in Ga st or BYU games? It's not recruiting. That was bad coaching. First, a team needs a good coach then recruits will come when properly pursued. We need to win all out of conference, USCe, Vandy, Missouri, and KY before we wonder what happen in the UGA game.

And.......?
Does a
4+ month college football season that concludes in mid January seem reasonable? Plus overlapping with the NFL playoffs wouldn't be ideal for TV. Also would affect recruiting going that far into January.

With a 12 game regular season plus conference championship game and then 5 week playoff, the two teams in the championship would be playing 18 games.

You're dang right he was UT"s best Athletic Director! From how he rebuilt the football program as a coach, he may have been our best coach (since Neyland). This man had the respect of all of the coaches and players in the UT Athletic Dept and more importantly he had the respect of the SEC and NCAA. UT's athletic dept would never have sunk to the depths it has if he had been on the job.
Correct. The day Dickey retired was a sad one for UT.

Reactions: mercuryvol
Does a
4+ month college football season that concludes in mid January seem reasonable? Plus overlapping with the NFL playoffs wouldn't be ideal for TV. Also would affect recruiting going that far into January.

With a 12 game regular season plus conference championship game and then 5 week playoff, the two teams in the championship would be playing 18 games.
How about going back to 11 games, starting the season early, and allowing each team to have one bye week?

I personally think Woodruff was the best overall AD, but Dickey was easily his equal in football terms. The subsequent three were disasters. I hope PF reverses the trend.

You like the T on the side of the helmet?
You like the band forming the T?
You like having a QB?
You like winning 2 SEC championships in 6 years?
You like having a AD who handle the NCAA?

That was Dickey. Yeah, he was our best AD.
Yep. I agree...The only knock I have with Dickey is: He quit Tennessee to go to Florida (his home school). Wait........didn't Lane Kiffin do the same thing...and everybody is burning mattresses. It should be noted, that the team he helped build, kicked his butt the next year in the Florida game. But yeah...after Neyland, I'd say he was our best AD by far.

VN Store

Back