Forgive Student Loans?

A smaller company, sometime competitor/sometime partner recently sold to one of the big boys in our industry. Their model for acquisitions has been to keep most of the management in place and integrate operations but in this case the founder, the man that started the company and ran it pretty successfully for over 30 years wasn't qualified to stay sine he did not have a degree.

I'm thinking about sending them a thank you letter since we were able to poach a couple of their best clients when they didn't let him stay.
You should. Morons.

Reactions: hog88 and AshG
So what about future college students? I have 2 HS students that will most likely be going to college. In several years when they are done do they get the same relief as the folks that went through decades before them?

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
My grandfather ran a tree nursery for decades on an 8th grade education. My uncle runs it now with a high school diploma. It's made good money, and the only time it has lost money was when the mountain caught fire and took out part of the nursery, but I digress.

Education is important. Sometimes it comes from Whatever State University, other times it comes from Life University of Hard Knocks and Perseverance.
My grandfather also only had an 8th grade education. He had a community grocery store (which he took the profits and developed wealth in real estate)
Best business lesson I ever learned, a young educated salesman was discussing why he should stock certain products because of margin and ROI, to which my grandfather carefully listened then explained, that while all those things were important, the only thing that really mattered was how many dollars at the end of the week he could take out of the cash register and take upstairs to his home. I've taken that to mean, all the business metrics are helpful for evaluation but in the end it's how much profit you generate that really matters.

Reactions: DC_Vol and AshG
My grandfather also only had an 8th grade education. He had a community grocery store (which he took the profits and developed wealth in real estate)
Best business lesson I ever learned, a young educated salesman was discussing why he should stock certain products because of margin and ROI, to which my grandfather carefully listened then explained, that while all those things were important, the only thing that really mattered was how many dollars at the end of the week he could take out of the cash register and take upstairs to his home. I've taken that to mean, all the business metrics are helpful for evaluation but in the end it's how much profit you generate that really matters.

Margin percents and ROI look good on paper but don’t mean a thing until the dollars are in the register. Sounds like your grandfather valued cash flow more than anything else. That’s a good businessman.

So what about future college students? I have 2 HS students that will most likely be going to college. In several years when they are done do they get the same relief as the folks that went through decades before them?
Encourage them to consider the military first then let the GI Bill do most of the heavy lifting.

Hopefully, in the near future, this entire system will crumble because and tuition will have to price correct and the amount of lending on these bogus azz degrees will end.

Encourage them to consider the military first then let the GI Bill do most of the heavy lifting.

The UT School of Music plan for a while. Performance scholarships plus Air Force or Army Reserve Band payments = undergrad paid for with no nightly job.

Reactions: Wireless1

1. English / Language Arts, not math. But everyone is a generalist.
2. Maslow, Bloom, Delcrozé, etc work the same at a small regional college with a faculty of former seasoned K-12 teachers as they do at a hoity-toity expensive private or state flagship school with researchers for professors who haven't so much as driven by a school since high school graduation.
3. Someone has only been paying the interest instead of the principal. Bad move.
4. My little regional University has multiple ways to get students as close to full scholarship as possible, plus work study programs to fill in the gaps. We get many escapees from Baltimore and the Eastern Shore because of it.

Yeah, she goofed. And she's setting up her nephew for similar goofage.

Reactions: Wireless1
I've heard good things. I'll check out his writings.

Thomas Sowell is from the same county i live in right next to Charlotte. Gaston county.

He is very wise, and a quote machine...he is also like 80 years old so he definitely went to segregated schools and was a kid before the civil rights movement. I have had my kids read his thoughts, and told them to admire him. Great role model from what i can tell.

what needs to be cracked down on is percentage rates that are put on student loans. They're terrible, they're almost as bad as credit card % rates.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards

VN Store

Back