for you a LV fan what is an acceptable loss?

stllvf

StlLVF Saw first game in 1976
We all wish our LV would never lose but... With this year's schedule against many quality teams we can expect losses. When you read or participate in a live thread of a game there are many comments of frustration and high blood pressure. When the LVs lose I am disappointed One or two possessions frequently define the winner and loser in a close game.

Two weeks ago the soccer team lost to a talented Arkansas team and very little positive was written. Last week the volleyball team lost to Purdue in three sets. However the last two sets were winnable - were either acceptable losses?

I would be interested in the responses from some of our dedicated and knowledgable LVol vans.

thx

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
We all wish our LV would never lose but... With this year's schedule against many quality teams we can expect losses. When you read or participate in a live thread of a game there are many comments of frustration and high blood pressure. When the LVs lose I am disappointed One or two possessions frequently define the winner and loser in a close game.

Two weeks ago the soccer team lost to a talented Arkansas team and very little positive was written. Last week the volleyball team lost to Purdue in three sets. However the last two sets were winnable - were either acceptable losses?

I would be interested in the responses from some of our dedicated and knowledgable LVol vans.

thx
Probably only losing to teams ranked higher and obviously with more talent. Unacceptable to lose to anybody else.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Each time a the coach keeps his/her job after a loss, then the loss is acceptable. By definition. If the loss is unacceptable, then the coach must be fired after the loss. By definition. Correct?

So, by definition, any loss that is unacceptable is one in which the coach is fired after the loss.

First, I totally agree with Coach Jumper's comment three stars!!

However, I am a fan not the coach or the players. If you are one who finds no losses are acceptable then how can you support the existing coach and players given the record last year. I posted the thread seeking thoughtful responses not glib social media responses.

I do not interpret that the team is playing to win for me. As a fan who have observed easily a thousand games where one of my teams was playing - I experience disappointment, I have on occasion felt that my coach was out coached (gameplan). I have felt that the referees in a game have impacted the outcome of games and been disappointed for the team. ( aside Many years ago a player told me that she knew that if a particular ref was in the game that she would be negatively singled out}.

And I have experienced my team scoring on the last possession as well as the opposite. I remember when the now Duke coach, then a LV point guard had the ball and on the last possession drove but failed to score. The right player had the ball and the LVs had the opportunity to win BUT my definition of an acceptable ending.

Any loss to a better team but competed until the end with a chance to win in the final few mins, set, inning etc. But eventually those acceptable losses/moral victories have to translate to the win column.

A loss can be acceptable, but never accepted.
And it can be more beneficial than a win if not a frequent event and used t o continue growth.
I have sat in on and held film meetings...we/they rarely picked apart a win, but definitely dissected losses.

Losses are a part of the game. I believe only 9 teams have gone a season without a loss. The question could be how do you respond to a loss. A loss can be mitigated if the level of effort and amount of teamwork could have resulted in a win. An unacceptable loss is one where the effort and/or teamwork necessary to win wasn't demonstrated.

Best coach I ever had told us there are no acceptable losses. There are always things that we control that we could have done better to allow us to win the game.

That being said, as a fan, sometimes there are games where the other team just had more talent or despite playing solid defense, having low turnovers, and taking high quality shots, you can just have a bad shooting day. As a fan I can accept when either of those 2 things happen.

Reactions: Voltopia
A loss can be acceptable, but never accepted.
And it can be more beneficial than a win if not a frequent event and used t o continue growth.
I have sat in on and held film meetings...we/they rarely picked apart a win, but definitely dissected losses.

A team must have the correct mindset to take in what went wrong, correct it, and move on to the next game. They must have a winning mindset to move on and treat each game as the only game that matters, forgetting about the loss. Case in point, UConn hasn't had back to back losses since 1993. Sure, talent counts, but mental strength helps you to go forward.

VN Store

Back