For you 66

I look forward to watching it, obviously. I spend every weekend watching it and countless hours watching summer ball and keeping up with the A.J.’s and Stewart’s, etc...

We’ve never disagreed on the stupidity of 11.7, ever, not me. I also don’t disagree with the Vandy thing, but it is what is... for now.

What is fair? Is it fair for Northern schools to play OOC games on the road most of March?

Mazey had a proposal, it’s great.

Me...in the SEC, every athlete should get a full ride, tennis, soccer, rowing, golf, track, all of them... the money is there, quit hiding behind Title IX as the law of the land and amend it to make all athletes equal, really equal.

Don’t have to look any further than this year’s fiasco at the WBB tourney. Disgraceful. We pay millions of dollars to coaches doing a job many do for next to nothing at the level just below. Reallocate the money where it rightfully belongs to the lol, made up term, Student Athletes for Amateur Sports. It’s a joke.

But it is what it is. Which has always been my point. It’s not a level playing field? What in life is?

One more thought on it...All this talk about being the 13th worst stadium in the league is on my mind...

Why is there no way to enlarge the footprint on the campus for a new indoor track facility or baseball stadium or softball stadium?

I’ll hang up and listen.

Final thought. I apologize Bruin if you were just giving me a heads up on the show, you know me, dukes up and all... I do appreciate the heads up. 😅

One more thought on it...All this talk about being the 13th worst stadium in the league is on my mind...

Why is there no way to enlarge the footprint on the campus for a new indoor track facility or baseball stadium or softball stadium?

I’ll hang up and listen.

I'm intrigued by this (presumably) rhetorical question but, despite what is likely an obvious answer, I'm not sure what the punchline is. Spending/space dedicated to Anderson and Pratt?

Last edited:
Reactions: vol66

I’ll hang up and listen.

I believe there is a plan for KUB to move the wastewater treatment plant elsewhere.
The biggest hindrance is the rail yard. As Knoxville knows; railroads never "leave" until they go bankrupt or THEY decide to move. They simply never do anything because their cities, counties, states or neighbors ask them to do so. The tracks running through the World's Fair Park and the stupid curve on I-275 around the former Coster Shop property are testament to that. I believe if UT could remove the rail yard and the tracks between Ag and Main Campus; UT would greatly enlarge enrollment.

Last edited:
Reactions: vol66 and TN_gal
I'm intrigued by this (presumably) rhetorical question but, despite what is likely an obvious answer, I'm not sure what the punchline is. Spending/space dedicated to Anderson and Pratt?

Back in the smoke signal days when you couldn’t watch the games, I believe I simply said, there’s upside in baseball, the school should invest in it because there ain’t a lot of potential any where else. The SEC pay out for bowl games and March Madness is predictable. There was already evidence to support this theory and I still think it’s a solid stance.

Baseball, softball, the potential for growth...you can’t really measure it. The rest of the teams invested in baseball, they built or significantly updated their stadiums while we tore down Stokely to build more football practice fields and parking. While we invested in intramural fields off Sutherland Ave., while we invested in student housing totally changing the character of Cumberland Ave. for more students and paid ridiculous buyouts so we could move on.

It speaks to the long term strategic planning. When the administration comes to the baseball coach and says, what do ya think about sharing a stadium with Randy Boyd, in a couple years...lol, doesn’t scream commitment.

They have done the bare bone minimum for baseball and now that they have a winner, seems like the home half of the 9th. It should have never come to this, but here we are.

Last edited:
I believe there is a plan for KUB to move the wastewater treatment plant elsewhere.
The biggest hindrance is the rail yard. As Knoxville knows; railroads never "leave" until they go bankrupt or THEY decide to move. They simply never do anything because their cities, counties, states or neighbors ask them to do so. The tracks running through the World's Fair Park and the stupid curve on I-275 around the former Coster Shop property are testament to that. I believe if UT could remove the rail yard and the tracks between Ag and Main Campus; UT would greatly enlarge enrollment.

I have a story involving my wife sitting on a jury for a case involving the railroad behind LNS, I won’t bore with the details but over flow parking was right there around Helton, she was not too happy with me. 🤪

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Back in the smoke signal days when you couldn’t watch the games, I believe I simply said, there’s upside in baseball, the school should invest in it because there ain’t a lot of potential any where else. The SEC pay out for bowl games and March Madness is predictable. There was already evidence to support this theory and I still think it’s a solid stance.

Baseball, softball, the potential for growth...you can’t really measure it. The rest of the teams invested in baseball, they built or significantly updated their stadiums while we tore down Stokely to build more football practice fields and parking. While we invested in intramural fields off Sutherland Ave., while we invested in student housing totally changing the character of Cumberland Ave. for more students and paid ridiculous buyouts so we could move on.

It speaks to the long term strategic planning. When the administration comes to the baseball coach and says, what do ya think about sharing a stadium with Randy Boyd, in a couple years...lol, doesn’t scream commitment.

They have done the bare bone minimum for baseball and now that they have a winner, seems like the home half of the 9th. It should have never come to this, but here we are.

Arkansas and South Carolina are off campus a bit. The Old City is not exactly a long haul from campus. Neyland Drive to Central Ave. The students would love to be near the bars now that the cool places on the Strip are gone or disappearing.

On campus stadiums are preferable but keep in mind; many of the nicest stadiums and biggest programs use off-campus stadiums.There is little actual overlap between college towns and minor league or spring training baseball franchises. A quick look give me the following. Some of these are for now defunct MiLB teams

Arizona
Arizona State
Memphis
Creighton- they use TD Ameritrade that was first hoped to attract AAA team as well as for CWS
Utah
Richmond
Missouri State
Bradley
Youngstown State
Wagner
The Citadel
Youngstown State
Citadel
Fresno State
Oregon
St. Johns
Abilene Christian
West Virginia
Wake Forest (assumed old MiLB Park)

I recall when South Carolina was looking to replace their old stadium; it was assumed they would share with MiLB team. That did not come to pass of course

There really is little overlap between college and MiLB seasons and then in April and May; it is not really hard to adjust schedules to be sure the teams are not in town at same time.

The major drawback that UT would have to consider is the likely loss of turf and again being at the mercy of late winter/early spring weather.

I don't think playin in a a palace downtown would be "bare bones" Tennessee is a VERY unique situation where the president's family will likely run the stadium

Sounds like a infomercial from coaches to raise the number of scholarships from 11.7. While I agree with the ideas, talk about guys being tone death! Throughout this pandemic economic adjustment I think they’d be wise to stay quiet and find ways to maintain college baseball throughout NCAA. Alabama & a few other ADs may have stockpiles of money but the vast majority of athletic Depts are going to have to take some serious haircuts.

Arkansas and South Carolina are off campus a bit. The Old City is not exactly a long haul from campus. Neyland Drive to Central Ave. The students would love to be near the bars now that the cool places on the Strip are gone or disappearing.

On campus stadiums are preferable but keep in mind; many of the nicest stadiums and biggest programs use off-campus stadiums.There is little actual overlap between college towns and minor league or spring training baseball franchises. A quick look give me the following. Some of these are for now defunct MiLB teams

Arizona
Arizona State
Memphis
Creighton- they use TD Ameritrade that was first hoped to attract AAA team as well as for CWS
Utah
Richmond
Missouri State
Bradley
Youngstown State
Wagner
The Citadel
Youngstown State
Citadel
Fresno State
Oregon
St. Johns
Abilene Christian
West Virginia
Wake Forest (assumed old MiLB Park)

I recall when South Carolina was looking to replace their old stadium; it was assumed they would share with MiLB team. That did not come to pass of course

There really is little overlap between college and MiLB seasons and then in April and May; it is not really hard to adjust schedules to be sure the teams are not in town at same time.

The major drawback that UT would have to consider is the likely loss of turf and again being at the mercy of late winter/early spring weather.

I don't think playin in a a palace downtown would be "bare bones" Tennessee is a VERY unique situation where the president's family will likely run the stadium

The bare bones part relates to up to now. From the end of Delmonico, thru Serrano, when the rest of the league was building baseball we sat there and watched.

As for the students, they don’t show up half the time as it is and when it was CDS not at all, the Legends showed up for one game last weekend and they’ve gotten about as much press as the baseball team, “it’s a bad day to be a keg.” On campus it’s one thing, off campus is something else.

Finally, Boyd is the owner of the Smokies. He’s moving them to downtown. He’s also the President of UT. It is no longer a question, there will be a minor league park again downtown, on property he’s acquired over the years, you know....long term planning.

I remember when we lost minor league baseball, I was at at every home game during Delgado’s final complete minor league career, what would UT do if that happened. Boyd is doing it to Sevierville right now.

I hope he builds it and I hope people go once the shine wears off, I also hope we keep college baseball on campus, we shoulda been building that long before Boyd got here.

I look forward to watching it, obviously. I spend every weekend watching it and countless hours watching summer ball and keeping up with the A.J.’s and Stewart’s, etc...

We’ve never disagreed on the stupidity of 11.7, ever, not me. I also don’t disagree with the Vandy thing, but it is what is... for now.

What is fair? Is it fair for Northern schools to play OOC games on the road most of March?

Mazey had a proposal, it’s great.

Me...in the SEC, every athlete should get a full ride, tennis, soccer, rowing, golf, track, all of them... the money is there, quit hiding behind Title IX as the law of the land and amend it to make all athletes equal, really equal.

Don’t have to look any further than this year’s fiasco at the WBB tourney. Disgraceful. We pay millions of dollars to coaches doing a job many do for next to nothing at the level just below. Reallocate the money where it rightfully belongs to the lol, made up term, Student Athletes for Amateur Sports. It’s a joke.

But it is what it is. Which has always been my point. It’s not a level playing field? What in life is?
At most schools and definitely at SEC schools, football pretty much pays for everything, including all women's sports. That 85 schollies makes it difficult. Title IX has, I guess, helped some women's athletes get a college education, but at the cost of many, many, many male athletes not getting the opportunity because of Title IX. There should be a way to balance the equation with making football some sort of exception because of the revenue it generates. Unfortunately, I don't believe that will ever happen.

At most schools and definitely at SEC schools, football pretty much pays for everything, including all women's sports. That 85 schollies makes it difficult. Title IX has, I guess, helped some women's athletes get a college education, but at the cost of many, many, many male athletes not getting the opportunity because of Title IX. There should be a way to balance the equation with making football some sort of exception because of the revenue it generates. Unfortunately, I don't believe that will ever happen.

Pat Summit would disagree with this take.

A few years ago, I went through every roster, walk ons included, in every sport and I now do not recall the exact number but it’s about 500, maybe a tad less.

Out of state tuition, room, board, books is around $32,000, the $5,666 Stipend for full cost of attendance...let’s say $40,000...20 million dollars/yr. to give every athlete on campus a full ride.

That sounds like a lot, but...

Southeastern Conference rakes in more money in early stages of pandemic

That’s just the football payout, there was no March Madness, so tack that on there, and then think about the ridiculous salaries and buyouts that the college’s and agents have artificially inflated because, well you gotta spend it all somewhere. We aren’t talking ticket revenue here, just tv rights, bowl revenue, post season stuff etc...

Notice if your banned, self imposed or not, you lose out on the split, look out Football. Yes that would hurt everyone on campus, but, $20 million at UT...add up all the coach’s salaries and put that up against the 500 students.

Will every school, the ETSU’s of the world...probably not but they aren’t anyway.

GBO!!!

EDIT: at the time I typed this post I didn’t realize the current football coaching staff will earn 10.1 million dollars in 2021. Lawd!

Last edited:
Reactions: drvenner
What Vandy gets away with is almost criminal when trying to compete against them

This is how you take the advantage away from VU and the like. As it relates to baseball specifically, every kid UT signs to play baseball is on a full ride. Same with softball, the money is there.

Because of so many issues...NIL is coming, Tennessee just joined the ranks in the state legislature. Get out in front, have a vision and quit trying to hang onto pre title IX, just do the right thing. It’s become institutional, you have folks making a living off of staying in college forever, Dave Hart, Danny White come to mind, whole families making fabulous salaries but no one buys season tickets or goes to Hoover to watch them sit in the luxury box.

It’s great and honestly only the last 12 or so minutes are about my obsession with vandy need based aid.

It’s very well done

It was refreshing to hear. We come at this from different points of view, but we both want the same outcome I think.Title XI was born 50 years ago. ESPN, SECN, didn’t exist, March Madness was a good idea and Pat Summit was driving a van and washing uniforms, there was no lottery.

Things seem out of whack, the baseball coaches said that much.

I appreciate the tip, and you are right, it was very well done.

VN Store

Back