For everyone saying Heupel should not have...

You know, I like most would have preferred a 24 point win and that was very possible late in the game. But Hyp got us a win over Florida and that is all that matters!
We left a lot of points on the table, our D did let some open recievers get free and pressure was limited - basically because I think we let AR get some runs on us early and changed our approach.
Either way don’t forget Florida is not a Missouri - they are a good team - beat Utah and lost to two other top10 ranked teams by close games. We beat a good team! And we didn’t play perfectly to get the W (except Hendon, he was in beast mode! ).
We have upside and we beat two good teams in Pitt and Fla. lets see if we can get LSU at there place and they have a good team also and set up epic game with Bama!
Go Vols!

You know, I like most would have preferred a 24 point win and that was very possible late in the game. But Hyp got us a win over Florida and that is all that matters!
We left a lot of points on the table, our D did let some open recievers get free and pressure was limited - basically because I think we let AR get some runs on us early and changed our approach.
Either way don’t forget Florida is not a Missouri - they are a good team - beat Utah and lost to two other top10 ranked teams by close games. We beat a good team! And we didn’t play perfectly to get the W (except Hendon, he was in beast mode! ).
We have upside and we beat two good teams in Pitt and Fla. lets see if we can get LSU at there place and they have a good team also and set up epic game with Bama!
Go Vols!
9 possessions. We score on 6 and turn the ball over on 3 , I think.

I’d rather take my chances playing with the strength of my team (offense) than turn it over to the weakness of my team(defense).

Reactions: Jdw2920
I thought Heupel got fairly aggressive on the 4th down short pass, but FL made a good defensive play.

Perhaps the only thing I would have changed is I would have had Hooker fake to Smalls and keep the ball on one of the runs. Florida was heavily keying in on Smalls as everyone new we were going to run the ball... Hooker could have gone for a good 10 - 20 yards!
I agree Hooker should’ve kept it once but that was on Hooker as that’s his read. That’s not on the coach.

They got away with it but UF had the ball and a score gives them the win on the road, can you imagine the depth of losing in that fashion? If you are going to play a prevent defense it needs to prevent something, scoring, passing, time off the clock, anything. That defensive plan did nothing. I think the coaches have no confidence in the players ability to rush or play man to man.
Well the D blitzed the last 2 plays so they weren’t in a prevent defense.

Reactions: wmcovol
taken the foot off the gas, if Hooker would have thrown a pic, or fumbled on a sack, most if not all of the same people would have been complaining that he should have stuck to the run on the last drive.

We won...

Florida got nearly every possible break this game...

We have arguably the best overall coaching staff we've had in 15 years...

Let them grow and learn... good times are ahead!
My only question is, why didn’t we kick the field goal on 4th down at the end of the game to go up 41-27? Running a play on 4th down like that was not going to take time or get the first down. Only coaching mistake I saw from JH this year so far. IMHO

Well the D blitzed the last 2 plays so they weren’t in a prevent defense.

After watching the replay, I guess they were trying to contain the QB and sold out to stop the run hoping the DB's could make a play in zone. They could not do it. They played just good enough to win. Defense has won a game and the offense has won a game. I like the fact they don't quit, could have folded when UF hit them in the mouth twice in the 1st half but they responded with TD's. You also have to consider the UF coach was playing 4 down offense the entire game. Would he have been fired if they missed that 4th and 2 on the 30 yard line?

After watching the replay, I guess they were trying to contain the QB and sold out to stop the run hoping the DB's could make a play in zone. They could not do it. They played just good enough to win. Defense has won a game and the offense has won a game. I like the fact they don't quit, could have folded when UF hit them in the mouth twice in the 1st half but they responded with TD's. You also have to consider the UF coach was playing 4 down offense the entire game. Would he have been fired if they missed that 4th and 2 on the 30 yard line?
Yeah, I was most worried in the first half when we gave the ball back to Florida and they were up 14-10. That stop and the following 99-yard drive for a TD turned that game around. Napier came into this game with the underdog mentality. The way he coached was like he knew they needed a lot of help to win. I’ve said it a ton already but I can’t help it and it’s true. When you look at everything that went their way it’s so sweet that it wasn’t enough. They win the turnover battle. Refs could’ve called several significant penalties on them and didn’t (like the horse collars). They were 7/15 in 3rd down and an incredible 5/6 on 4th down (we were 0/2 on 4th by the way). They recovered an onside kick. AR played a nearly flawless game. All of that was in Florida’s favor. And we STILL BEAT THEM!!! It’s mind blowing. If you said before the game that all that was going to happen I don’t think a single person on this board would’ve said we would win. That tells me we are the better team by a comfortable margin. Good teams find ways to win and that’s what we did against both Pitt and Florida. A good bit went wrong in both games and we persevered. We’re not perfect but no one is! Even UGA struggled with freaking Kent St. Bama struggled with Texas. All teams have issues. The question is can you overcome them to win anyway. So far our answer has been yes and it’s been a VERY long time since we could say that.

Edit: And Tillman was out! To me this win was more impressive than had the Florida of the first 3 weeks shown up. They knew their season was on the line and played like it.

Last edited:
taken the foot off the gas, if Hooker would have thrown a pic, or fumbled on a sack, most if not all of the same people would have been complaining that he should have stuck to the run on the last drive.

We won...

I could live with that, but crapping the bed by not trying is unacceptable.

He wouldn’t be fired but he’ll not win big playing that way. I’m not convinced they got the first 4th down conversion. It was close.

And I forgot to include as a bullet...

I don't think I've ever seen more blatant holding by Florida, that wasn't called, on their last two drives. Maybe someone could find the play, but at one point one of their OL had our guy completed wrapped up from behind like he was giving him a big ole bear hug as he was trying to get to Richardson.
After the coaches watch the game film they should file a complaint about that crew Too many holds were not called That crew should be suspended a couple games

Reactions: IBlvNTmWrk
The defense and special teams almost cost us the game.
Correct. We have zero pass rush unless we blitz. Special team kid was waiting for the ball to come to him, not going after it.
We should have blitzed the UF QB all day. He could not hit the broad side of a barn when we rushed him.

Reactions: deatojl
If you watch the 4th down play again you can see that Heupel played to win, Hooker made the wrong read. Bru McCoy is wide open the next level up, he literally doesnt have anyone within 5-7 yards of him. It was a great play call

We won...

You're trying to explain football strategy to people that can barely read and write.....

And I forgot to include as a bullet...

I don't think I've ever seen more blatant holding by Florida, that wasn't called, on their last two drives. Maybe someone could find the play, but at one point one of their OL had our guy completed wrapped up from behind like he was giving him a big ole bear hug as he was trying to get to Richardson.

I remember seeing some absolutely insane holds on Florida that weren't called.

Huepel played the odds and the clock. Absolutely great time management and coaching.

Huepel needs to get an$100m/10 year deal NOW
Blue font? No program better than us is coming after him in the next year or two so what are we locking up? Knee jerk contract reactions are what put us in the desert for 10 years.

If you watch the 4th down play again you can see that Heupel played to win, Hooker made the wrong read. Bru McCoy is wide open the next level up, he literally doesnt have anyone within 5-7 yards of him. It was a great play call

I have heard Ainge and Swain break down this offense versus our 2016 offense with Lyle Jones. The difference is night and day.

Basically with Lyle's offense you had outstanding individual effort plays from Dobbs, Jennings and Hurd DESPITE bad play calls and scheme issues.

Ainge and Swain are crediting a lot of Hookers play specifically with the tempo, scheme and playcalls. The wide open receivers are there by design due to wrinkles and feints being put in by Golesh/Heupel.

Reactions: jacvols
You truly dont know that. What if nfl comes knocking?
I know college which is what I was referring to. There’s not a college program outside of maybe TX on our level who makes a change in the next 2 years. There’s like 4 coaches making that kind of money and they all have a NC on their resume; 17 games in doesn’t warrant that kind of money.

I know college which is what I was referring to. There’s not a college program outside of maybe TX on our level who makes a change in the next 2 years. There’s like 4 coaches making that kind of money and they all have a NC on their resume; 17 games in doesn’t warrant that kind of money.
Pay the man anyways!

Correct. We have zero pass rush unless we blitz. Special team kid was waiting for the ball to come to him, not going after it.
We should have blitzed the UF QB all day. He could not hit the broad side of a barn when we rushed him.
I agree in principal, but I'm pretty sure we got pressure with four several times (I rewound to see during the game; and, incidentally, Joseph looks like the real deal as a pass rusher), and on more than one occasion the blitzers just didn't get there, which left the secondary exposed. Banks (coach, not LB) attacks way more than any coordinator we've had in years, but I'd still like to see more 5 and 6 man rushes. But, as I've said elsewhere, we're still 2 or 3 top flight defenders from being a serious defense. Ties his hands a little, so I'm happy he's as aggressive as he is.

Reactions: MeanOrange
It was an awesome win! It would have been greater if we could have won by 11+ to cover and prove to the naysayers we are a real force. We only needed that last first down to ice it. I have no problem with not putting the ball in the air on that last drive. However, with how overly aggressive the Gator D was playing at that point I kinda expected CJH to dial up a more creative play to pickup the first down. Still…LOVE this coach and quarterback!

Last edited:
You did not need a td but only one more first down. The last series with three runs into the pile, drain the clock and then a throw short of the line to gain increased the probability that we would,lose. This is the same poor logic that highlighted Botch Jones clock management. We won but trusting our defense to stop Florida with our pathetic zone increased our probability of loss. The blitz saved us. This is honest appraisal of our coach decisions.

If our TE runs his route a half yard deeper we convert the 4th down on the last drive. Thought Heupel called a near perfect game on offense
4th down plays where our guy doesn't get past the sticks has been an issue with us for years. I'm still pumped with the W, though!

Reactions: ENGRVOL

We won...

I had no problem running. It was the type of runs. No motion, no letting Hooker keep it and get to the edge. Just slow developing hand offs up the middle.

Reactions: utnut1

VN Store

Back