Football Program Under Investigation [merged]

I'll almost guarantee DP can't say anything about this.

Why would I not be able to say anything about it?

Been whispers about Niedermeyer since the spring. I've hinted about it several times on here. When you have a young guy like that who comes into the league, makes a splash, and gets guys that good recruiters at other schools want, it raises some flags. If you're not careful, it catches up with you.

Look, everybody in college football has staff members that are playing that game. Guys like Garner and Trooper have made a living at it. But when you're a young guy, some of those old heads in the recruiting game know how to get you backed into corners with prospects and with guys on your own roster. And it doesn't take much for compliance people to step in when they get the heads up from the conference office along the lines of "Look into this before we do." Once that call is in, it's only a matter of time for a guy.

I think there's at least one other staff member that has gotten sloppy playing the game as well.

He's a family friend and was even at my grandmother's Christmas last season. My uncle and him are best friends having grown up together, and both got their coaching starts on the same staff. My uncle was his offensive line coach for 2 years at Lambuth. It's well known around here that he grew up a Tennessee/Peyton Manning fan and that TN has always been his dream job.

I know that's anecdotal and not a quote, but do a google search on the subject and you'll find some smoke.
OK then. If you know him, has he learned his lesson?

For starters Freeze ain’t gonna be the most expensive coach out there we could hire.

While Tennessee has never done this, I think we have to make some “top salary” offers to guys like Matt Campbell, Kyle Whittingham, and even Gus. All 3 would be better hires than Freeze. The only reason Freeze is in convo is he wouldn’t require the financial commitment as those other 3. It’s hard to say who else would be available but I’m saying we need to break the mold and actually spend big money to hire an established coach. Freeze doesn’t require big money and he’s not the best established coach out there with no background issues

The allure of Freeze is that he will be very cheap at his first big job after Ole Miss. Tennessee could prolly get Freeze for 3-3.5 million dollars. You mean to tell me that Freeze should be the #1 pick just because he’s gonna be good value for his salary?
No. The allure of Freeze is that he's been successful literally everywhere he's been. He had Ole Miss at #1 for God's sake. With the resources that Tennessee would provide Freeze, he would be an absolute legend here. He's the guy that's going to bring us back to relevance.

Cell phones and computers have been confiscated, players, coaches and recruits have been interviewed and lawyers have been looking into this for weeks. Tennessee has enough to fire for cause if they want to.
GBO!!

If there's evidence that's enough to fire for cause, then NCAA is coming after you with a scholarship reduction and a bowl ban based on what you'd turn over to fire for cause.

UT willing to accept sanctions to save $12 million? Doubt it. I'm not. Give them the money and let them go away.

For starters Freeze ain’t gonna be the most expensive coach out there we could hire.

While Tennessee has never done this, I think we have to make some “top salary” offers to guys like Matt Campbell, Kyle Whittingham, and even Gus. All 3 would be better hires than Freeze. The only reason Freeze is in convo is he wouldn’t require the financial commitment as those other 3. It’s hard to say who else would be available but I’m saying we need to break the mold and actually spend big money to hire an established coach. Freeze doesn’t require big money and he’s not the best established coach out there with no background issues

The allure of Freeze is that he will be very cheap at his first big job after Ole Miss. Tennessee could prolly get Freeze for 3-3.5 million dollars. You mean to tell me that Freeze should be the #1 pick just because he’s gonna be good value for his salary?

We could have hired Cornbread for a lot less than what he was given...but we didn’t. When glorified PE coaches are negotiating deals against an experienced agent...that is what happens.

So there was no way Fulmer couldn't have re-engage with Mullen whatsoever?

Mullen was hired Nov. 26 2017

Currie fired Dec 1 2017

Fulmer was hired as an advisor to the president June 2017 so he had been in the loop for awhile.

Lmao. Fulmer wasn’t making any decisions or have any say so in the search when Currie was in charge. Currie literally got the job because Fulmer lobbied for AD after Hart and Haslams got Currie the gig. Fulmer was an advisor but it’s moronic to think he was gonna have any say so in the hire under Currie.

Lastly, it goes back to my main point. We were never getting Mullen unless we offered a crazy high number and didn’t allow him to wait out Florida.

“Fulmer being in the loop” does not mean he was a decision maker. Frankly once Mullen went to Florida, I’m glad Fulmer was not involved with the Currie search that resulted in Schiano and then an MIA AD going rogue.

I can’t believe we are now trying to tie Fulmer to the Currie/Haslam Syndicate lmao

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

There are other up sides to Freeze besides money, he really is a state of Tennessee coach in high school. He even took his wife to Knoxville on their honeymoon. The man has an orange tint in his blood.

Reactions: VolforFootball
OK then. If you know him, has he learned his lesson?
In terms of blatant violations relating to football? Yes. In terms of calling hookers? Not sure he's actually changed, but he's certainly smart enough to realize the consequences and that his wife and family are going to leave him if it happens again. And he knows that this happening would only further negate his future as a HC - which is what he cares about the most. So whether he's learned from a moral standpoint, who knows. But he's certainly learned what NOT TO DO. Ha. He's selfish to the point that I can't imagine him putting himself in such jeopardy again.

Its been reported in multiple places Gundy was offered $42 million over 6 years. I'd say that was top salary

THINGS I know are true: 1. Pruitt is not a head coach. 2. Fulmer has a big ego. 3. The team is making the same mistakes today as in game 1. 4. Freeze is good at cheating - at least for a while. 5. It looks as if we will never get back to the level of Bama and Fla. 6. We cheat and still manage to stink up the field. 7. I am almost ready to give up - its no fun being a Vol fan anymore. 8. If Auburn can afford to fire a coach that wins 66% of his games at 24 Million bucks, we cant afford not to fire a stupid clown that is under 50% in his third year. 9. There must be a rule that the Vols are not allowed to score after the half. 10. There must also be rule that we are not allowed to adjust after 2 quarters. We never do.

Reactions: primmdds and JPL
Who's a "better choice"? Freeze got Ole Miss to #1 and beat Saban twice. He knows the SEC, the NCAA and has connections in recruiting. What coach out there that would actually consider coaching at UT do you think has a better resume?
No he didn't.

You are thinking Miss St and Mullen.

No. The allure of Freeze is that he's been successful literally everywhere he's been. He had Ole Miss at #1 for God's sake. With the resources that Tennessee would provide Freeze, he would be an absolute legend here. He's the guy that's going to bring us back to relevance.

Freeze was successful at Ole Miss because he had to cheat to get players.

What’s more concerning is that he got a head start on the division in back to back seasons by slaying Saban yet lost to the likes of Gus, Coach O/Miles, and Mullen.

Is the goal winning divisions or just beating a rival? If the goal is the latter, why not hire Gus who has more wins vs Saban? If Goal is former, why not hire Gus who has done it before?

Freeze would be a good hire for a cheap price. That’s the main allure for Freeze. Not a bad hire but should in no way be the #1 target in a search

Reactions: volfan0320
Gus or Freeze would be an upgrade...but we better have already talked to them before we make a move.

On one side, next years is all Pruitt’s recruits and could give him that year.

On the other side, if you are sure you can make a real substantial upgrade, then they should pursue.
if we get in an extended coaching search that to me would be the most ridiculous outcome and worse then keeping Pruitt.

Would Fulmer not be culpable if there are issues under his leadership by a coach that.he hired?
That all depends who Fulmer has on his side. I honestly have no idea who is for or against him. I'm sure Fulmer has secured Plowman, but who knows beyond that.

this.

Also apparently he WANTS to be here so he’s not flight risk.

Lmao. Fulmer wasn’t making any decisions or have any say so in the search when Currie was in charge. Currie literally got the job because Fulmer lobbied for AD after Hart and Haslams got Currie the gig. Fulmer was an advisor but it’s moronic to think he was gonna have any say so in the hire under Currie.

Lastly, it goes back to my main point. We were never getting Mullen unless we offered a crazy high number and didn’t allow him to wait out Florida.

“Fulmer being in the loop” does not mean he was a decision maker. Frankly once Mullen went to Florida, I’m glad Fulmer was not involved with the Currie search that resulted in Schiano and then an MIA AD going rogue.

I can’t believe we are now trying to tie Fulmer to the Currie/Haslam Syndicate lmao

Im not trying to tie Fulmer to the "syndicate" as you put it.

I am refuting your point that there was absolutely no way that he could have possibly done any better than interviewing Tucker, Pruitt, and Steele.

Given his status as an advisor, he would have known Mullen was being discussed.

Im not trying to tie Fulmer to the "syndicate" as you put it.

I am refuting your point that there was absolutely no way that he could have possibly done any better than interviewing Tucker, Pruitt, and Steele.

Given his status as an advisor, he would have known Mullen was being discussed.

Mullen was obviously going to Tennessee or Florida based on Florida’s dealings with Chip Kelly. Stevie Wonder could see that. Where Tennessee messed up is not offering Mullen a crap ton of money to force him to make a decision right away while sticking it to a rival.

Mullen was hired before Currie got canned per your timeline. To act like Fulmer could have gotten Mullen here when Fulmer was an advisor to the admin and not the AD is hilarious. Currie and Haslams wanted Fulmer no where near the AD. Glad they wound up getting tossed to the side and more boosters got involved.

Also the best hire available that Phil COULD have made was Kiffin but that was unrealistic because Phil and boosters were in no way support of it.

VN Store

Back