Football isn’t happening...

I hope we have a season but if not at least we will be spared from having to watch the players run thru the T and take a knee
The players are in the locker room for the Anthem. So the point is moot. That is of no concern to us .

Serious question to everyone in this thread wringing their hands about new cases in 18-22 yr old athletes - do you know what the CDC statistics show as the %'age which will be asymptomatic and what the mortality rate is for said group?
I honestly don’t understand why this is so difficult for some of y’all to grasp. I share your damn opinion about the statistics and virility of the virus. What I, and I think most who are raising questions, am saying is that the administrators and decision-makers are not going to allow a college football season when large swaths of players are easily contracting it, will then presumably pass amongst the campus, and then to the community, and so on. They are not going to quarantine football players for the season, which would be the only way to reduce the transmission rate.

I don’t believe they are going to let that happen. That’s the point. Not the need for herd immunity. Not that COVID is the Black Death. Not that there is a mass media conspiracy to trick us all. It’s that while these stories continue to pop up of dozens of players testing positive, the bow tie wearing campus nuts will just say no.

I appreciate your opinion. I am sorry about your church not meeting until recently. Mine couldn’t wait to have service and a good number of members are septuagenarians. The nearly three hundred have had services ever since the ban was lifted. As to your statement about liquor stores, what qualifies it as “essential”. Don’t get me wrong, in my youth I visited them more than I should have. Going there is a choice, not a necessity.

My guess is that you are also in a county with low numbers. The 89 counties outside the 6 with a health department started the back to business plan earlier. I’m in Shelby County where we just had the biggest overnight positive tests since this all began, and it wasn’t even close. Local health officials have also said its not because of more testing either. Baptist Hospital has the most covid-19 patients now since this began. We were supposed to go to phase 3 but didn’t.

As to the liquor store discussion, it’s interesting. TN law changed a few years ago allowing grocery stores to sell wine. In exchange for that, the liquor lobby was able to get liquor stores to sell things other than alcohol (which had always been TN law). My dad previously owned a liquor store and could not sell mixers, ice, food, etc. Now, they can. An argument can certainly be made that liquor stores now have some “essential” items. I’m a Christian but not anti-alcohol. I can also tell you that our local municipality was happy they stayed open because sales were great and helped bridge the gap for the loss of sales tax revenue while other stores were closed.

My guess is that you are also in a county with low numbers. The 89 counties outside the 6 with a health department started the back to business plan earlier. I’m in Shelby County where we just had the biggest overnight positive tests since this all began, and it wasn’t even close. Local health officials have also said its not because of more testing either. Baptist Hospital has the most covid-19 patients now since this began. We were supposed to go to phase 3 but didn’t.

As to the liquor store discussion, it’s interesting. TN law changed a few years ago allowing grocery stores to sell wine. In exchange for that, the liquor lobby was able to get liquor stores to sell things other than alcohol (which had always been TN law). My dad previously owned a liquor store and could not sell mixers, ice, food, etc. Now, they can. An argument can certainly be made that liquor stores now have some “essential” items. I’m a Christian but not anti-alcohol. I can also tell you that our local municipality was happy they stayed open because sales were great and helped bridge the gap for the loss of sales tax revenue while other stores were closed.
I am so happy that the sale of alcohol kept your city afloat. As stated, I used to drink, a lot, and did not actually live a lifestyle I was proud of. Many if my old drinking buddies didn't stop and their fates didn't go so well.

BTW, I live in one of those counties with a health department and we haven't seem the spike you mention. We're well into the advanced phases.

I do find it odd that you had an increased positive test rate without an increase in tests. How does that work? He, it doesn't matter, you are entitled to your opinion, even if I don't agree with it. I am not going to change your opinion, nor will you change mine. Agree to disagree?

Reactions: krichunaka
The death rate is not 100% even for those with pre-existing conditions. Please don't act like having the virus in your system is an automatic death sentence. You have been watching too many zombie pandemic shows/movies.

Here we go with "death rate tolls".

Do you understand that is contingent off of people BEING ABLE TO GET TREATMENT???

Tell me this. The Horseshoe. The Big House. Both Death Valley's and Neyland Stadium equal about 1/4 of the amount of people infected with the disease in the US. Right. 500k is a 1/4 of 2 mil. That's only 5 stadiums....are there only 5 teams playing on college football Saturdays????

Even IF there were only 5. Do you understand a sudden influx of that magnitude (500k) of sick people CAN NOT be accommodated at the same time????? Now multiply that by the amount of games played withing a 2 week period and teams playing.

You're taking about Tens of Millions of Americans getting sick within a 2 week period!!

Yes this pandemic Sucks! But it's real!! Accept it....

Yes, but in this environment, do you really think the almighty powers that be are going to use primarily black men to facilitate herd immunity through playing football? I’m no supporter of MSM, but you’d have to be living under a rock the last month not to understand the moral panic that has endured over racial issues. The narrative would write itself.

For the record, I want nothing more than a college football & sports season, if for no other reason than it may be the only thing that would keep the country from tearing itself apart over the next six months.
If we have one single death of a player the odds of an even bigger backlash go up tremendously. Will they roll the dice...I doubt it.

I am so happy that the sale of alcohol kept your city afloat. As stated, I used to drink, a lot, and did not actually live a lifestyle I was proud of. Many if my old drinking buddies didn't stop and their fates didn't go so well.

BTW, I live in one of those counties with a health department and we haven't seem the spike you mention. We're well into the advanced phases.

I do find it odd that you had an increased positive test rate without an increase in tests. How does that work? He, it doesn't matter, you are entitled to your opinion, even if I don't agree with it. I am not going to change your opinion, nor will you change mine. Agree to disagree?

I am glad to hear that you are happier now. Each person is different, and all that matters is being happy.

Just because I drink alcohol doesn’t mean it consumes me. Moderation is key, and that’s for nearly everything in life. I have 4 healthy young kids and stay busy.

Statistically, it’s not odd to have greater positive tests and not greater testing. It just means the positivity rate is higher, and people are contracting it at a quicker pace. I run with the husband of an infectious disease doctor, and I know they are concerned for the early fall when the regular flu will surge along with covid-19 still being around.

I will always agree to disagree with someone amicably. Just never understood some of the outrage. People also seem to forget the liability element with some of these decisions.

Reactions: barrylee
I am glad to hear that you are happier now. Each person is different, and all that matters is being happy.

Just because I drink alcohol doesn’t mean it consumes me. Moderation is key, and that’s for nearly everything in life. I have 4 healthy young kids and stay busy.:D

Statistically, it’s not odd to have greater positive tests and not greater testing. It just means the positivity rate is higher, and people are contracting it at a quicker pace. I run with the husband of an infectious disease doctor, and I know they are concerned for the early fall when the regular flu will surge along with covid-19 still being around.

I will always agree to disagree with someone amicably. Just never understood some of the outrage. People also seem to forget the liability element with some of these decisions.
You are right. There is a lot of controversy with testing right now. Do you know if shelby county reports viral positives, antibody positives, or both?

I have several good friends that are lawyers, but the general public doesn't think with the same mindset.:D

Again, I use media outlets as sources of items to research. I have an extensive library of actual reference BOOKS that give historical reference to a current situation. Then I actually use my computer to find information from ALL sources. Then I actually form my own opinion on a subject, not blindly have the opinion I am told I should have. You have a mind, use it.
I literally just said that. I said I use many sources to develop an opinion on certain issues. However, for most daily news, I don't need to develop an opinion on the Dow closing, or hurricane path, it's pretty much just news, I can listen to NPR news in the morning, with their motonous roll off of the daily news to catch up. I was referring to anyone using the entertainment networks with agendas, ie CNN, or Fox, they're both not news.

You are right. There is a lot of controversy with testing right now. Do you know if shelby county reports viral positives, antibody positives, or both?

I have several good friends that are lawyers, but the general public doesn't think with the same mindset.:D

Don’t know 100%, but I’m pretty sure it’s just viral positives. I think I would know if they were reporting antibody positives.

I literally just said that. I said I use many sources to develop an opinion on certain issues. However, for most daily news, I don't need to develop an opinion on the Dow closing, or hurricane path, it's pretty much just news, I can listen to NPR news in the morning, with their motonous roll off of the daily news to catch up. I was referring to anyone using the entertainment networks with agendas, ie CNN, or Fox, they're both not news.
I will agree with CNN, I have had an issue with them for a couple of decades. FOX does have a agenda, to offset the left leaning ABCs, NBCs, CBSs, MSNBC, etc that all spout the same agenda. I misunderstood that you were just using NPR for the same reason I have my echo dot read off the headlines. For simple basic info, any service will do. My beef was the statement that they were unbiased in their message.

You know, I will no longer debate these things. At some point soon, it will be shown which "side" of the debate is correct. it will be quite interesting to see the diatribe when the truth is revealed.

Don’t know 100%, but I’m pretty sure it’s just viral positives. I think I would know if they were reporting antibody positives.
It's difficult to calculate the fatality rate in the midst of an ongoing pandemic, but our best estimate is that the current fatality rate in the united states 1.3%. So if every American contracted the disease (330 million x .013), you'd have 4.3 million dead Americans. It doesn't take a disease with a high fatality rate to overwhelm our hospital capacity and to kill lots of people.

Thanks for the clarification and that is true. I wasn't talking about football with my last post.

Title of the thread is Football isn't happening.

To be clear, I was just kidding around with my first response to you, it just seemed that dead horse has been beat to death, wasn't necessarily disagreeing.

Just seems there are those out there that think if my opinion is different from theirs on one little thing, it means that's what I want and therefore I should crawl back to my bunker like a good little communist and let everyone that wants to be free, live their lives.

Can you name how many things are wrong with that? Lol.

I really didn't mean anything with my comment besides a little humor.

Sources: Large number of LSU football players placed in quarantine

A large number of LSU football players have been placed into quarantine in an effort to curtail the spread of the coronavirus, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Sources: Large number of LSU players isolated

Kansas State suspends football workouts for 14 days after positive coronavirus tests

As of Friday, 14 athletes out of 130 tested across sports were positive for COVID-19. They are being managed according to guidelines, a process that begins with self-isolation for 10 days and until the patient is without fever for 72 hours without medication, whichever takes longer.

K-State suspends football workouts for 14 days

Reactions: LittleVol
I have called no one a name. Your response to my statement about don't buy the hype was essentially "or what". I did not say "Behr" before my statement, just gave the only alternative if someone doesn't feel safe from this "pandemic". I express my opinion whenever the opportunity arises that I can. You are correct, it can't be corrected on a message board, but society placing its collective head in the sand won't make it go away. If you have watched the country decay over the last 50 years and are ok with it, more power to it. But please remember, freedom of speech isn't just for the slogan of the day. If all opinions are not freely spoken, mob mentality rules. When some group or government begins to trample on the freedom of others to put out their message, they are no better then the "system" they are protesting against. Fighting hate with hate, violence with violence and racism with racism will NEVER bring about a better world. Only one thing can. A quote from the advertisement of one of the more interesting of the seemingly limitless candidates in the race for Phil Roe's Senate seat speaks volumes:

Opening a business is a crime......but burning down a business isn't
Having dinner with your neighbor is a crime.....but beating up your neighbor isn't
Attending a church service with more than 10 people is a crime.....but thousands of protesters marching together isn't

and if you find that wrong, you are a racist and want to kill Grandma.

Liquor stores and cannabis stores deemed "essential" businesses while places of worship are not
Hundreds of shoppers in Walmarts and big chain grocery stores is OK, but 10 people in a mom and pop store is not
In Bristol, the virus seemed to only be viable on the VA side center street, because the ones on the TN side was too strong for the virus?

This is something that I am very opinionated on, but am not going to change those who wish to live and fear and don't want to bore those that intend of living life to the fullest.

'nuf said...I am out.

Sorry, I'm not reading all that. I stopped where you said if I'm fine with the way the country is decaying more power to you. I didn't say I was fine with it.

I hit send by mistake. Lol. I'll edit and finish.

Actually I really don't want to waste any more time on this. I asked or what and you answered.

The interesting thing to me is I agree with a lot that people think I'm disagreeing with, but they are so what's important to them and them being right, they really don't comprehend anything else.

You don't have to answer because I understand its really none of my business, but you said you depend on a higher power. Who or what is your higher power? If its God, why not just say so? Political correctness or embarrassed? What? If its not God, good luck with that. I just think about what freedoms we all are afforded and how I hate some things that are allowed because of that freedom, but I understand that's what freedom is all about.

People make jokes about praying, if they dont believe in prayer or have faith in prayer, prayer doesn't work real well. People think all of this can just change overnight?

In my opinion there's only one way to really change the direction we're headed for the better, but most don't want to and won't hear it.

So, its a football thread. As of today I think we will have football and we should. And I won't blame you if you don't read all of this. Lulz.

Last edited:
As we worry how and what college football will be like , even with medical staffs and controls in place, It seems to me the bigger question will be HS football this fall. Some states might or might not allow it. Where that really becomes an issue is recruiting to the 2022 class with no films, no camps etc.. thoughts?

Was the hoax successful in fooling Trump and the administration ? The danger was believed by most a couple of months ago but I bet Trump would not shut down the country in another similar event. There will be years or decades of evaluations about how the U.S. and world listened to experts( mostly medical) who just got it wrong. It wasn’t a deliberate hoax but it did not have to go down like it did.
I'm not so sure it wasn't deliberate but you're correct. The economy can't handle being shutdown again.

Herd immunity time.

I just want unbiased data. George Floyd is the only person in the US that’s tested positive but CoVid is not what killed him.
I’d like to know how many people died with only CoVid as the single morbidity.
I’d like to know why we are still having outbreaks in nursing homes ( we know how catastrophic this is so why a greater measures not in place.
I’d like to know what percentage of positive cases are asymptotic from positive test through clear test.
Since these numbers continue to be masked, I can’t help but think we’re being fed a line
Great questions. However directing them at me, or anyone else posting on this board predicting no football in the fall, misses the point: I believe there will be no football this fall because the persons in charge of making that decision will eventually decide it's too unsafe. These questions should be posed to the persons who are in control of the final decision regarding the playing of football.

EDIT: Your second sentence is confusing to me. Typo?

This all day. And consistency as to what the goal is.

The original goal if everyone can remember was to "flatten the curve" so as to not overwhelm medical facilities. That was the goal.

Now, as others have pointed out, no one anywhere can get COVID-19.

I am confused by this sentence, in light of the fact that there are multiple cases of persons (health care providers, in the main) who have been exposed to COVID-19 and have tested positive more than once. Herd immunity is not assured once people have been exposed.

I'm not so sure it wasn't deliberate but you're correct. The economy can't handle being shutdown again.

Herd immunity time.
Totally agree. We cannot shut down again. It would be devastating. I live in the Chicago area and we are still largely down. Next Friday restaurants and bars can finally open to inside dining at 25% capacity. It has crippled the local economies.
Herd immunity (however we get there) is the only way.

Reactions: krichunaka

VN Store

Back