Football in Purgatory

They’re making sure they pay as little of Pruitts buyout as possible. That’s not a short process. I don’t blame Pruitt for negotiating for what he is owed per his contract. When you have compliance issues and an NCAA investigation hanging over the process, then more details are added to the negotiation.
Fulmer needs to make the man an offer
C28065D3-841C-4224-830F-D9DF5096F486.gif

All I know is that after all this time, when they do finally announce Pruitt is out, they better have the replacement signed up that very same day. But with this admin it would not surprise me at all to wait until then to start a two week coaching search with several coaches publicly turning us down before settling for a no name.

This is the thought that keeps me up at night! NO REASON NO EXCUSE not to have spent the last month at least interviewing coaches AND ADs!

Reactions: chattaboogie
Let me interpret this rant for everyone: "I don't know what is going on, so I am making things worse than they are because UT is not sharing information about the investigation."
I think the facts stand for themselves, 16 players have already transferred or are in the transfer portal, so almost 20% of the roster that could come back are gone, thats not counting those who declared for the NFL Draft or seniors who are graduating. In a typical year, there may be 3-5 go to transfer portal. I am not responsible for making things worse, I may have ranted a bit, but nothing I said above is false or misleading.

Reactions: VOL-TIL-I-DIE
Bingo. Winning cures apathy real quick.
Normally yes....but we have it as a chronic condition. The long suffering and long term fans die off a little more each year and the upcoming generations have no knowledge of the greatness and glory that was Tennessee Football. With the gross failure now approaching 2 decades, don’t expect an instant jump start of Tennessee fan fanaticism. We have kicked the dead horse a few times too many to allow for instant absolution and return to halcyon days.

I'd like to recommend a new title for your thread..."Football in Purgatory". As for the long term, how much worse can it get? 3 win seasons and 9...NINE losing seasons in the last 15 years.
As I have said on other posts where someone asks this...don't ask. As soon as someone does, we find out.

Normally yes....but we have it as a chronic condition. The long suffering and long term fans die off a little more each year and the upcoming generations have no knowledge of the greatness and glory that was Tennessee Football. With the gross failure now approaching 2 decades, don’t expect an instant jump start of Tennessee fan fanaticism. We have kicked the dead horse a few times too many to allow for instant absolution and return to halcyon days.
Get the right coach with an explosive offense and put some edgy “cool” uniforms out there and I think the fanaticism jumps right back where it was in short order. Just look at Oregon awhile back. Never underestimate the short term memory and bandwagon nature of this country. It really does come down to simply winning. We just can’t seem to do that.

Reactions: BondJamesBond
Let's recount a few things . . . When CPF stepped in, Currie and company had already "ruined" the UT coaching search, CPF's hands were tied as to who would even talk to him about the job. Now for signing Pruitt to an extension, who was pissing and moaning about that when it occurred? Pruitt just ran off a string of wins, everyone on hear was talking 8-2 or 7-3 for 2020 and everyone was glowing ORANGE.

What happened? Pruitt was grabbing facemasks, kicking white boards and holding people accountable in 2018 and 2019. Yanked QBs when things went off the rails. Why did this not carry through to 2020? I have no idea, but something changed and changed in a big way! Excuses went through the roof . . . combative with the media . . . firing the D-Line coach a few games into the season . . . not hiring a replacement D-Line coach immediately . . . CPF quiet the entire season.

What happened:

1. Did the AD know in 2019, pre-2020 season, that there was something wrong in the program?
2. Did someone kick CJP in the nether regions about his side-line actions?
3. Why did CJP stick with JG so long?

After the 2020 season, a lot of people were and are upset - FANS! Us, Volnation are pissed-off and looking for answers . . . Is CJP staying or leaving . . . If JCP leaves, who is taking over . . . In fact, who would want to take over?

I am not taking up for CPF but I believe that there is more to this than just an "investigation" that was launched recently . . . the time line leads me to believe there is more out there than what was "leaked" to the media to date.

I want whomever blew the hole in the side of the 2020 season GONE whether it is . . . CPF . . . CJP . . . the damn waterboy . . . GONE!

GBO - beat Vandy!

I cannot for the life of me understand what UT is trying to accomplish. If they hope to save the buyout, their actions will cost much more. Beldar is toast. Stringing this out is the worst thing that could happen to UT.

Reactions: vmivol00
You have to give UTAD credit for creativity. Over the last 12 years, they have found increasingly odd, yet brand new ways to completely screw up managing the football program. It truly is astounding.

Even though we have no idea what they're actually doing at this point, it appears that they do not know either... that alone on Jan 11th is a sad hilarity.

I think the facts stand for themselves, 16 players have already transferred or are in the transfer portal, so almost 20% of the roster that could come back are gone, thats not counting those who declared for the NFL Draft or seniors who are graduating. In a typical year, there may be 3-5 go to transfer portal. I am not responsible for making things worse, I may have ranted a bit, but nothing I said above is false or misleading.

I understand, but these are all known issues of concern and everyone wants to know as much as you do, there is something going on. I just never got the impression Pruitt would allow or participate in anything illegal.

What other school let's a guy they fired for mismanagement come back and picked up where he left off?
Initially as an interim AD, then gets the AD job, extends his and JP’s contract and the cherry on top is...,they both got nice raises...when we are told there is no money because of COVID. You can’t make this stuff up!

Let me interpret this rant for everyone: "I don't know what is going on, so I am making things worse than they are because UT is not sharing information about the investigation."
Fact is Fuller should have been kept out. he got that ambassador title or whatever it was and everbody in the AD knew Currie was dead man walking as it was only a matter of time til Fulmer had him pushed out...so in return we get 3-9 ( after 3), losing coaches, losing players and the ones that are left won’t get developed.....and a gluttony of life size Fulmer stand alones in every food city. So you wanna disagree?

Making things worse than they are? Really? Where the he11 have you been? Things are about as worse as they can be. It would almost be impossible to make things any worse. Geez...with all due respect you're out of touch.

There is no secret that Pruitt is in trouble. The Football program is losing players, coaches and fans at an accelerated rate while the administration and AD do nothing to stop the bleeding. This limbo is going to affect this program with long reaching effects. The Tennessee job is not a top tier job anymore, sure they have facilities and some mismanaged resources, but they have a depleting fanbase. They have lost a generation of fans with their football program mismanagement over the past 13 years and will reap that loss for the foreseeable future. A lot of old school fans are apathetic, which directly translates to them not spending money on the program. The longer this Pruitt Circus Show lasts with no resolution either pro or con, the worse the long term effects will be.

If they win, all will be fixed.

Reactions: BondJamesBond
Fact is Fuller should have been kept out. he got that ambassador title or whatever it was and everbody in the AD knew Currie was dead man walking as it was only a matter of time til Fulmer had him pushed out...so in return we get 3-9 ( after 3), losing coaches, losing players and the ones that are left won’t get developed.....and a gluttony of life size Fulmer stand alones in every food city. So you wanna disagree?

To be quite honest, I don't have a clue of who does what and why UT football has been tossed in the College Football Hell. If I could by that fly on the wall, but none of us are.

My honest assessment, UT is stubborn to a fault on change, after watching Bama kick the dog crap out of OSU.........it is not our coaching, it's our old fashion ideas of what it takes to win. Mobile QB, pocket passer blah, blah, blah. I guarantee you, OSU thought they had it all figured out until last night.

Hope UT figures it out sooner than later

Reactions: vol05
Making things worse than they are? Really? Where the he11 have you been? Things are about as worse as they can be. It would almost be impossible to make things any worse. Geez...with all due respect you're out of touch.

Ok, ok, after watching last night's game, UT among others, do not have a clue what it takes to build a successful program. Cause, the only one that seems to have the magic formula is Saban, and everyone else is eating his table scraps. Yes, Pruitt is not the answer, neither was the other three.

I think we should start looking for someone who can coach this team to a consistent top 3 finish in the SEC East, cause face it, we are only playing at best 2nd Place in the SEC until Saban retires. Say what you want.........that man knows how to recruit and coach, He'll go down as the greatest in College history and it is absolutely true.

Reactions: Mtnvol80 and vol05
There is no secret that Pruitt is in trouble. The Football program is losing players, coaches and fans at an accelerated rate while the administration and AD do nothing to stop the bleeding. This limbo is going to affect this program with long reaching effects. The Tennessee job is not a top tier job anymore, sure they have facilities and some mismanaged resources, but they have a depleting fanbase. They have lost a generation of fans with their football program mismanagement over the past 13 years and will reap that loss for the foreseeable future. A lot of old school fans are apathetic, which directly translates to them not spending money on the program. The longer this Pruitt Circus Show lasts with no resolution either pro or con, the worse the long term effects will be.
After two historic losses, Pruitt put together a modest win streak and was winning back the fan base. Ultimately that good will collapsed, but it shows that fans will support the team and the coach with modest improvement in results as long as the trajectory looks positive. It is a tough climb, but All is not lost forever. Getting fans back only requires a modest win streak with a win or two over certain opponents and the hope that things are getting better. UT football is not over.

You have to wonder what sort of legal team we have representing us in these negotiations? If UT can't win a lawsuit in Knox County against a known Gump then you need a better legal team. UTAD legal team should hold all the leverage if there's any little issue out there found in an investigation. If not, again you have the wrong legal people, fire their sorry donkeys, then fire Pruitt for cause, and tell him if he wants ANY buyout money to see you in court.

VN Store

Back