Food and stuff in Atlanta

Unfortunately this is pretty much a Tech frat-boy event these days. I can't recommend this anymore unless you're 25 or under and don't mind a crowd.

The best beer bar in the Atlanta area is the Brick Store Pub, out in Decatur. Fantastic selection of well-poured beers, and worth a drive from anywhere in the area if you appreciate that sort of thing. They've even got a whole bar upstairs devoted to hard-to-find Belgian ales. Some of the Mellow Mushrooms have an excellent beer selection as well. Unfortunately your beer-drinking options downtown are thoroughly mediocre.

I do most of my drinking at Fado Irish Pub in Buckhead, since I live in the area. It's a very nice pub, but will probably be horrendously crowded this weekend with everybody in town for the tournament. The cab drivers seem to send everybody there. Still, it'll be nice during the afternoons and early evenings before it fills up.

Somebody's a fun-hater! :lolabove:

That is indeed how I run, though I tend to do my scotch-drinking in my own house these days. Just a wee dram or two when we're in there; you combine scotch with all that Belgian ale and you're likely to have a cloudy morning the next day.

The Brick Store is so good it would almost be worth moving to that area, just to be a regular there. Unfortunately, the wife works up towards Windy Hill and it would take her forever to get to work from Decatur. Ah well.
I hear you, on all points. I have an ever growing collection of single-malts, nothing too fancy, in my own bar.

I actually used to have an apartment in Decatur, but later bought a house in Marietta. Don't regret too much, as Marietta's Square is improving in terms of dining options, but the Brick Store is quite nice. Definitely don't regret leaving DeKalb County government for Cobb County government. I couldn't stomach having Cynthia McKinney as my representative.

Somebody's a fun-hater! :lolabove:

Maybe I'm just old. About five or six years ago I stopped thinking it was that much fun to stand in somebody else's armpits to drink my pint. And unfortunately, the last couple of times I went to the Sweetwater tour, that's what it had turned into.

Maybe I'm just old. About five or six years ago I stopped thinking it was that much fun to stand in somebody else's armpits to drink my pint. And unfortunately, the last couple of times I went to the Sweetwater tour, that's what it had turned into.
Hey don't remind me, I'm gonna be 30 in a month. :)

Question - you going to the SEC tourney this weekend?

I won't be, unfortunately. My wife's a CPA and may be working much of the weekend, leaving me to take care of The Spawn by myself. I just don't know how the weekend's going to work out well enough to have been optimistic enough to get tickets, especially with our late start times. I'll guess I'll have to watch the games here from the comfort of the home pub. (Since we're talking about beer, I'll admit that I keep a keg of Guinness on tap in my kitchen.) You will be there cheering on the good guys, I hope?

I won't be, unfortunately. My wife's a CPA and may be working much of the weekend, leaving me to take care of The Spawn by myself. I just don't know how the weekend's going to work out well enough to have been optimistic enough to get tickets, especially with our late start times. I'll guess I'll have to watch the games here from the comfort of the home pub. (Since we're talking about beer, I'll admit that I keep a keg of Guinness on tap in my kitchen.) You will be there cheering on the good guys, I hope?
Yep. My wife will be out of town, and we have no spawn (yet). Will be screaming my lungs out in Section 120 Thursday night.

My wife will be out of town, and we have no spawn (yet).

Oh wow. Enjoy that while you can, that's for sure! Should you procreate, you will look back on weekends like this one with a lot of nostalgia.

Maybe if things work out I'll try to score a last-minute ticket on the street for Thursday night's game. That's supposed to be my night out of the house (I am a stay-at-home dad these days), so maybe I can get down there if the wife gets home at a semi-reasonable hour...

Here are the people whose armpits it would be nice to stand in while having a pint:

elisha-cuthbert.jpg

evangeline_lilly.jpg

et cetera

They're from East Point; a/k/a The Point (phoenetically, Da PERNT)

I recommend everybody stop in on Atlantic Station. The food is great. Stay out of Fox Sports Grill. The last time I was in there, my wife and I got caught in a brawl. Nice looking joint, though.

Restaurant recommendations:

The Lobby at Twelve: Kind of shi-shi fru-fru, but really good. Lobby at TWELVE - ATLANTIC STATION

Nuevo Laredo Cantina: (expect to drink 3-4 margaritas while waiting for a table... but the food is totally worth it. Best Mexican food in town with the possible exception of Taqueria del Sol. Anyone that says otherwise is a bald-faced liar.) Welcome to Nuevo Laredo Cantina! | Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Figo: Great Pasta for REAL cheap. Figo Pasta -- index

Fogo de Chão: Can't go wrong with Churrasco... ever. If it is full, try Chima around the corner on Peachtree; food is about on an even par, but Chima's cuts are more generous. Avoid the rookie mistake of leaving the card on green, and only go for four cuts: Picanha, Filet Mignon, Top Sirloin, and Parmesan-crusted Pork. Welcome to Fogo de ChĂŁo

J. Christophers: You always need breakfast. Ponce de Leon and Freedom Parkway. Actually not too far from the Majestic (Ponce and Highland Ave.), but WAY less greasy-spoon.

Steamhouse Lounge in Buckhead.....Will be closing in 4 months so here is your last chance to have some of the best lobster bisque at a reasonable price.

Unfortunately this is pretty much a Tech frat-boy event these days. I can't recommend this anymore unless you're 25 or under and don't mind a crowd.

The best beer bar in the Atlanta area is the Brick Store Pub, out in Decatur. Fantastic selection of well-poured beers, and worth a drive from anywhere in the area if you appreciate that sort of thing. They've even got a whole bar upstairs devoted to hard-to-find Belgian ales. Some of the Mellow Mushrooms have an excellent beer selection as well. Unfortunately your beer-drinking options downtown are thoroughly mediocre.

I do most of my drinking at Fado Irish Pub in Buckhead, since I live in the area. It's a very nice pub, but will probably be horrendously crowded this weekend with everybody in town for the tournament. The cab drivers seem to send everybody there. Still, it'll be nice during the afternoons and early evenings before it fills up.

I live two miles from the Brickstore easily the best bar around. Great food too. Fado's is fun but gets crowded. If you head to the Brickstore go a little further to Avondale Estates and go to Skip's Hot Dogs. Best Hot Dog in Atlanta

Thanks for that one. Wife loves Sushi and we'll be staying there next month. This sounds like a great way for me to get some easy points w/ the wife.
There is a RuSan in the Gulch on 12th Ave as you enter downtown Nashville. They have lunch buffet which is actually decent but it's usually pretty crowded. I've got to think there's better sushi than that in Atlanta though. I can think of 3-4 places better here. Is the sushi at Benihana good? That might be worth a try.

I take it you fall in the Johnny's Hideaway demographic.:)

They're from East Point; a/k/a The Point (phoenetically, Da PERNT)

It seems like Andre 3000 grew up in Grove Point, which borders Bankhead. Additionally, I heard him say in a radio interview on NPR that he grew up in and around the Bankhead.

Grove Park: Information from Answers.com
Grove Park (Atlanta)

Located in police precinct or zone 1 west of downtown neighborhood Vine City and north of the Cascade area, Grove Park is an inner-city neighborhood in Atlanta, Georgia, yet not too close to the city as it rests just inside Atlanta's perimeter highway I-285. Grove Park is the original home of new sensations such as Atlanta rap star T.I., Andre 3000, and the Baltimore Ravens Pro-Bowl halfback Jamal Lewis. Grove park is also one Atlanta's most storied neighborhoods. The city's historically black university center featuring Morehouse and Spellman Coleges are adjacent to the neighborhood as well. The schools that serve the neighborhood are Grove Park Elementary, Carter G. Woodson Elementary School, Benjamin S. Carson Honors Preparatory School, and Douglass High School.

Steamhouse Lounge in Buckhead.....Will be closing in 4 months so here is your last chance to have some of the best lobster bisque at a reasonable price.
If you like that kind of thing I'll throw you a tip and suggest that if you are ever in Nashville take a drive to Brentwood and get the She-Crab Bisque at Mere Bulles in Maryland Farms.

There is a RuSan in the Gulch on 12th Ave as you enter downtown Nashville. They have lunch buffet which is actually decent but it's usually pretty crowded. I've got to think there's better sushi than that in Atlanta though. I can think of 3-4 places better here. Is the sushi at Benihana good? That might be worth a try.

Neither of those places are very good at all when compared to MF Sushi. If you're gonna' go eat raw fish, get it from a really good restaurant. Not a chain. Just my $0.02.

It seems like Andre 3000 grew up in Grove Point, which borders Bankhead. Additionally, I heard him say in a radio interview on NPR that he grew up in and around the Bankhead.

Grove Park: Information from Answers.com
I think they both (Andre and Big Boi) went to High School in East Point, but Andre may have spent his early years in Grove Park. This may explain the confusion.

Neither of those places are very good at all when compared to MF Sushi. If you're gonna' go eat raw fish, get it from a really good restaurant. Not a chain. Just my $0.02.
Ru San's arguably has one of the largest Sushi menu's hands down. It's ridiculous the amount of specialty rolls they have.

That being said, I wouldn't say they have the best overall quality when compared to higher end joints. If you want variety, go to Ru San's. If you want top of the line, look elsewhere.

Ru San's arguably has one of the largest Sushi menu's hands down. It's ridiculous the amount of specialty rolls they have.

That being said, I wouldn't say they have the best overall quality when compared to higher end joints. If you want variety, go to Ru San's. If you want top of the line, look elsewhere.
I agree with that statement as well. Since I usually go for Nigiri to keep the carbs down I am more focused on the quality and freshness of the fish as opposed to the creativity involved in making rolls. That said it's hard to resist a good battered and fried spicy tuna roll on occasion.:good!:

I take it you fall in the Johnny's Hideaway demographic.:)

Hahahaha -- not yet! At 36, I think I've got another decade or so before I find myself up that way...

I don't mind all the college kids at Sweetwater, just that there's so many of them. Last time I was there, I spent almost the whole time standing in line trying to redeem my beer tickets. The crowds there are unbelievable, considering how empty it was a couple of years ago.

Very nice beer, though. I wish more local places carried Sweetwater beers.

It's been forever since I've been there but is The Bucket Club still there - and the Chastaine? I had a really nice lunch at the Bucket Club years ago followed by a concert at the Chastain that was wonderful

Do you perhaps mean the Bucket Shop, in a Buckhead office building? It's still there, right up the street from me. It's an Auburn bar, at least during football season. Very much a neighborhood pub.

Concerts at Chastain are much fun. Not cheap, and not really the best place to actually hear a concert -- people have an annoying tendency to talk the whole time -- but definitely a great way to spend a summer evening.

VN Store

Back