Florida State discusses ACC media rights, potential buyout options

dobre_shunka

Texas bullied the Big 12 into a favorable media revenue deal, as I recall, and created all kinds of bad blood in the conference.

I don't know where FSU thinks it might jump to if it left the ACC. It certainly would hurt recruiting in that area for SEC schools if there was another SEC school in Florida and I'm not convinced FSU brings enough new TV eyeballs anyway.

Reactions: PA Vol and Pennheel
Texas bullied the Big 12 into a favorable media revenue deal, as I recall, and created all kinds of bad blood in the conference.

I don't know where FSU thinks it might jump to if it left the ACC. It certainly would hurt recruiting in that area for SEC schools if there was another SEC school in Florida and I'm not convinced FSU brings enough new TV eyeballs anyway.
This is just “anecdata”, nothing else, but I’m in WNC, and there are tons of FSU license plates and bumper stickers around here.

Last edited:
This pretty much means it's happening, and they aren't going to the B12 or P12. It would be a huge get for B1G to add some Southern exposure. but I suspect it will result in FSU going to SEC and part of SEC going to 20-24 Megaconference. It would also cause an implosion in the ACC with likes of Clemson, Miami, NC and Duke joining the exodus.

If enough members decide to disband the ACC then the B1G, SEC and possibly B12 could absorb them in some mix where B1G gets some Southern teams and SEC gets some Northern ones to increase footprint of both.

If the ACC doesn't disband yet loses a couple of the best money schools like FSU, Clemson, and NC then it will be the slow kill for the remaining teams and universities.

Really what needs to happen is one of the Power 5 needs to be dissolved.

This pretty much means it's happening, and they aren't going to the B12 or P12. It would be a huge get for B1G to add some Southern exposure. but I suspect it will result in FSU going to SEC and part of SEC going to 20-24 Megaconference. It would also cause an implosion in the ACC with likes of Clemson, Miami, NC and Duke joining the exodus.

If enough members decide to disband the ACC then the B1G, SEC and possibly B12 could absorb them in some mix where B1G gets some Southern teams and SEC gets some Northern ones to increase footprint of both.

If the ACC doesn't disband yet loses a couple of the best money schools like FSU, Clemson, and NC then it will be the slow kill for the remaining teams and universities.

North Carolina and Duke would be great additions for the SEC if they decide to expand again.

The B1G will only take AAU schools or historically has only taken AAU schools.

UNC, Duke, VA, Ga Tech, and Pitt are ACC and AAU. I can see the B1G having a shot at VA and Pitt pretty easily and maybe Duke also. Syracuse would've been a good fit, I think, but they left the AAU.

The B1G academic leadership, their Presidents, aren't that concerned with sports, nor are their alumni. For a long time I think only the Ivy League and B1G had all AAU schools (until Nebraska got booted out of the AAU) and they like that "elitist" conference designation.

The B1G will either "die on that hill" as far as sports conference membership goes, kinda like the Ivy League chose to do many years ago, or they'll start taking non-AAU members.

I hope they choke on their "elite" status but it does make their "pickings" slimmer when it comes to sports realignment.

to ATheonly1Tenisee,Back inthe 90's,when the SEC was going to expand,they asked.Free Shoes to join.Bobbie Bowden stated that ..."Why would you go a conference where your record would.be 8-4 or 7-5 each year or stay in the ACC and go 10-2,or 11-1?We'll stay here for the extra opportunities for.natties.So,don't let those crab thiefs in here.

Last edited:
Reactions: feathersax
LOL @FSU. I’ll just sit here and wait for the Noles to jot down a short list of places that they think want to pay them big fish in little pond money. I’ll be floored if anyone anywhere offers something other than a proportional split based on number of universities. Sounds like they think they’re Texas. If the ACC were dumb enough to sign off on anything approaching what FSU says they want here, that’d be the thing that sends other ACC schools packing. Look no further than the Big 12 for examples of how that kind of view of yourself plays out for everyone long term.

Reactions: feathersax
All these stats are from FSU so there may be some exaggeration but they claim in football Clemson and FSU each draw about a quarter of all ACC viewers.

"Alford explained that Florida State draws 70% more viewers than the average ACC school and ranks No. 14 in the nation in viewership from 2014-22 - which doesn't include the ACC Network. "

"FSU and Clemson represent 51% of all 4M+ viewership games in the ACC from 2014-22."

"The program's athlete revenue - outside of payouts from the ACC - would rank third in the SEC and third in the Big 10."

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
If true, this is a 'Longhorn Network'-esque FSU over reach which will have unexpected consequences

ACC is about to experience a Big XII type moment of reckoning. My over the top, @WitchDoctor like "bones don't lie" prediction:

FSU isn't the center of ACC football, Notre Dame is--and they are only half in. If ACC wants to remain a P5 conference they must figure out the ND problem. An ACC with Miami, Clemson, and ND as full members is a legit football P5.

Otherwise, FSU to B1G like the TAMU move to SEC. Reason: Gators veto FSU to SEC; they don't want them

Clemson, North Carolina, Duke, and one of VA Tech OR GA Tech join SEC. Reason: UNC/Duke add to SEC footprint; plus Clemson v USCjr and UGA v GA Tech are already scheduled, annual in-state traditional rivalry games. USCjr/UGA want them

Pitt, BC, VA, FSU are B1G adds. Reason: Logical geographic market footprint expansion, historical collegiate sports relevance

Rest of ACC (Miami, Louisville, NC State, Syracuse, Wake, VA Tech/GA Tech) scramble and join the "we play football too, remember" Big XII or make the AAC legit. Someone more basketball focused joins Big East to make the schedules and numbers work

Notre Dame returns independent, screwing the ACC big time and themselves in the long run

Last edited:
If true, this is a 'Longhorn Network'-esque FSU over reach which will have unexpected consequences

ACC is about to experience a Big XII type moment of reckoning. My over the top, @WitchDoctor like "bones don't lie" prediction:

FSU isn't the center of ACC football, Notre Dame is--and they are only half in. If ACC wants to remain a P5 conference they must figure out the ND problem. An ACC with Miami, Clemson, and ND as full members is a legit football P5.

Otherwise, FSU to B1G like the TAMU move to SEC. Reason: Gators veto FSU to SEC; they don't want them

Clemson, North Carolina, Duke, and one of VA Tech OR GA Tech join SEC. Reason: UNC/Duke add to SEC footprint; plus Clemson v USCjr and UGA v GA Tech are already scheduled, annual in-stare traditional rivalry games. USCjr/UGA want them

Pitt, BC, VA, FSU are B1G adds. Reason: Logical geographic market footprint expansion, historical collegiate sports relevance

Rest of ACC (Miami, Louisville, NC State, Syracuse, Wake, VA Tech/GA Tech) scramble and join the "we play football too, remember" Big XII or make the AAC legit. Someone more basketball focused joins Big East to make the schedules and numbers work

Notre Dame returns independent, screwing the ACC big time and themselves in the long run

ND is certainly in a position win handily in the ACC but when they read the tea leaves, they see 2-3 times more annual revenue by being tied to the SEC or B1G.

Everyone thinks the B1G is a lock, but ND in SEC would open up a lot of Midwest TV coverage and fan base. It really comes down to how scared they are to play with the big boys!

ND is certainly in a position win handily in the ACC but when they read the tea leaves, they see 2-3 times more annual revenue by being tied to the SEC or B1G.

Everyone thinks the B1G is a lock, but ND in SEC would open up a lot of Midwest TV coverage and fan base. It really comes down to how scared they are to play with the big boys!

ND has the NBC exclusive TV contract, so the money is not the issue

They already play big boy schedule with their long rivalries like USC, Michigan, Penn St., Miami, FSU mixed in with cupcake rivalries like Navy, Stanford, Northwestern, Purdue, BC

The BCS and CFP "Notre Dame exception" and the TV deal have kept them relevant. Time to do away with "P6 plus ND" wording in the contracts. It is and was BS

And relevant to this tread, what ND decides hugely affects FSU. Maybe this media rights move by FSU is trying to force ND to **** or get off the pot

Last edited:
Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
North Carolina and Duke would be great additions for the SEC if they decide to expand again.
I see Duke, UNC, UVA and GT fitting in with the B1G better than the SEC. At least I do culturally and academically. I feel like Clemson, FSU, NC State and Virginia Tech feel more like SEC schools. Can you imagine the amount of smug from the B1G if they added those schools and Notre Dame. It would be unbearable. And then if they threw in Stanford and Cal? Wow. They just rename the B1G to FIGJAM.

You take UNC & Duke to own the state of NC viewing and at some point the SEC needs to not only own the Title of the Biggest baddest Football conference but also Basketball.

Although UNC /Dook are down now with coaching changes having both of them for basketball would send the media rights for both through the Roof $$$ wise. If you could convince ND to come also then no one would be able to compete in viewing numbers for both basketball and football.

One Problem is that the ACC fields a lot of men’s sports that the SEC doesn’t and those schools will have to determine what to do with those sports.

Reactions: Volfan1000
ND has the NBC exclusive TV contract, so the money is not the issue

They already play big boy schedule with their long rivalries like USC, Michigan, Penn St., Miami, FSU mixed in with cupcake rivalries like Navy, Stanford, Northwestern, Purdue, BC

The BCS and CFP "Notre Dame exception" and the TV deal have kept them relevant. Time to do away with "P6 plus ND" wording in the contracts. It is and was BS

And relevant to this tread, what ND decides hugely affects FSU. Maybe this media rights move by FSU is trying to force ND to **** or get off the pot
Notre Dame is only making around 25 mil per year on the NBC contract that runs through 2025. I'm sure in a new contract they may fetch 50-60 million a year but nowhere near SEC/Big10 dollars per school.

Seems FSU is unhappy with the ACC media payout compared to the SEC/Big 10 payouts and want a bigger share based on their bigger name recognition. This doesn't bode well for the future of the ACC

Florida State Board of Trustees request buyout figure to leave ACC, staggering number returns

"Florida State creates about 15% of the revenue for the conference but only gets a return of 7%"

Entirely predictable when the imbeciles that run that place opted for the ACC in the first place.

Screw em. Let them rot in the land of Duke and NC state football.

FSU to the B1G

Big10 wants in Fla. The opportunity for B10 teams to play in the south regularly would help their recruiting. I wouldnt be shocked to see them take several ACC schools, including Ga Tech. They proved with Rutgers they dont give a damn about competitive balance just media markets

The B1G will only take AAU schools or historically has only taken AAU schools.

UNC, Duke, VA, Ga Tech, and Pitt are ACC and AAU. I can see the B1G having a shot at VA and Pitt pretty easily and maybe Duke also. Syracuse would've been a good fit, I think, but they left the AAU.

The B1G academic leadership, their Presidents, aren't that concerned with sports, nor are their alumni. For a long time I think only the Ivy League and B1G had all AAU schools (until Nebraska got booted out of the AAU) and they like that "elitist" conference designation.

The B1G will either "die on that hill" as far as sports conference membership goes, kinda like the Ivy League chose to do many years ago, or they'll start taking non-AAU members.

I hope they choke on their "elite" status but it does make their "pickings" slimmer when it comes to sports realignment.
The Big 10 will be fine.

Nebraska should leave/get kicked out. AAU or whatever reason and go back to the Big 12. Let's the Big 10 maintain its AAU branding, and Nebraska isnt a big tv market to lose despite their name.

Gives Big 12 a HISTORICAL blue blood. Reignite some rivalries. Puts Nebraska in an easier conference.

VN Store

Back