Florida Postgame Report

Every basketball team whether it be collegiate or professional has a game like this on occasion.

Florida was more energetic from start to finish and nobody shot the ball very well last night.

Fulkerson was the only guy that came to play last night.

I do not blame Barnes and the coaching staff for what transpired and they can only draw up the plays and they cannot execute the game plan or bring energy to the team.

The players need to hold themselves accountable for last night's effort and just match or exceed Missouri's energy and effort Saturday night.

This is just a blip on a long road.

Mizzou may, second time around. (if we play like this)
Typical TN. Beat Kansas and lose to Fulton HS. Should be accustomed by now I guess.
What a really dumb statement. Comparing Florida to Fulton HS. It was a bad game. Come on, man.

This team has skilled athletes with no leadership and no dog in them. The Grant/Admiral teams had all three. Bailey does too much, Josiah, not enough. Vescovi seems to be more of a combo guard than a true point. Fulky and Pons aren't consistent enough to be relied upon. Springer is clearly the best player on this team. As a team, they aren't physical enough.

So, free throw shooting only counts in SEC play?
No but that’s half the schedule to this point and those are the games that matter the most. For some reason or another they aren’t making them consistently against SEC opponents. Up until the Missouri game the lowest they shot in a game was 71% and had a few games 80%+. We know they can make them because they were earlier in the year. Idk if adrenaline is getting the best of them or if they get sweaty palms, or if they are already getting tired legs with the lack of practice, but something has changed since the start of SEC play. There’s hardly any fans so I know it’s not that. I know it’s not realistic to make all of them but they are called “free” for a reason. 75% should be a reasonable expectation.

Reactions: walkenvol
Yeah that was a weird post, free throwing shooting percentage is the one stat you wouldn't expect to be affected by quality of competition
I didn’t expect them to get worse either and it doesn’t make any sense to me. But the stats don’t lie. And it’s a pretty sizable gap unless my math is wrong.

6 OOC Games: 102/128 = 79.7%
6 SEC Games: 93/143 = 65%
12 Game Total: 195/271 = 72%

We average 22.6 FT attempts/game so the opportunities are there. I’m not freaking out and thinking the sky is falling because I still believe we have a great team. But there’s no denying free throw shooting has become an issue. All I’m saying is that hopefully it gets fixed and doesn’t cost us some games down the road.

In this game WE looked exactly like the hunted teams that we have steamrolled all year. UF came to win.

I didn’t expect them to get worse either and it doesn’t make any sense to me. But the stats don’t lie. And it’s a pretty sizable gap unless my math is wrong.

6 OOC Games: 102/128 = 79.7%
6 SEC Games: 93/143 = 65%
12 Game Total: 195/271 = 72%

We average 22.6 FT attempts/game so the opportunities are there. I’m not freaking out and thinking the sky is falling because I still believe we have a great team. But there’s no denying free throw shooting has become an issue. All I’m saying is that hopefully it gets fixed and doesn’t cost us some games down the road.

Thank you for doing the math that confirms what I'd been thinking. Big drop off.

FT percentage drops for one or some of three reasons: fatigue, technique, or focus. Focus is the one that makes sense, as each player is having to think more during these games--not just because they are in-conference, but because scouting is more complete, so they have more thoughts going through their heads, more things to remember and anticipate, as they wait to shoot their free throws.

If you play golf, you can imagine standing at the tee addressing your ball on a dogleg par 5 in front of the clubhouse patio, and before you begin your backswing, you're processing:

"who just checked in for our team? ... who went out for their team? ... does my assignment change now? ... are we pressing if I make this? ... which press is he calling? ... does ____ know his assignment? ... I wonder if that blonde's phone number is on the back of her cardboard cutout? ... why is the ref not handing me the ball now? ... gotta focus and make this, and then front #12 before they can inbound!"

Anyway, that would make sense of those SEC FT numbers declining. But of course, has that been the pattern for other SEC teams?

Reactions: VolPack22
It was a humbling game to be sure, collectively as a team, and individually. This squad when “on” can play with a lot of teams, but last night was either an aberration or a red flag. Suppose we find out soon which one it is. My expectations have definitely lowered.

I still think we should play quicker and run more often before the defense is completely set, but hard to do that when you can’t grab a defensive rebound and we are pulling the ball out of the net. When we aren’t making perimeter shots our half court offense grinds to a halt. Defensively, don’t even know where to begin about last night. Weren’t engaged at all, and that is effort and attention.

What a really dumb statement. Comparing Florida to Fulton HS. It was a bad game. Come on, man.
Wasn't comparing FLA to Fulton. Just saying we've seen our guys beat some of the best and then turn around and lose to some of the worst. Consistent doesn't seem to come in the color Orange.

Yeah that was a weird post, free throwing shooting percentage is the one stat you wouldn't expect to be affected by quality of competition
It's actually feasible. More pressure, more road games, players grinding it out more and therefore being fatigued. But having said all that the difference should be very small.

Reactions: Vol49er
Thank you for doing the math that confirms what I'd been thinking. Big drop off.

FT percentage drops for one or some of three reasons: fatigue, technique, or focus. Focus is the one that makes sense, as each player is having to think more during these games--not just because they are in-conference, but because scouting is more complete, so they have more thoughts going through their heads, more things to remember and anticipate, as they wait to shoot their free throws.

If you play golf, you can imagine standing at the tee addressing your ball on a dogleg par 5 in front of the clubhouse patio, and before you begin your backswing, you're processing:

"who just checked in for our team? ... who went out for their team? ... does my assignment change now? ... are we pressing if I make this? ... which press is he calling? ... does ____ know his assignment? ... I wonder if that blonde's phone number is on the back of her cardboard cutout? ... why is the ref not handing me the ball now? ... gotta focus and make this, and then front #12 before they can inbound!"

Anyway, that would make sense of those SEC FT numbers declining. But of course, has that been the pattern for other SEC teams?
We definitely were not focused against UF. It was obvious from the opening tip and just seem to steamroll from there. Let’s just hope it was a one game blip. We’ll know more after Sat. Vs. Cuonzo

I’m sure other teams have had somewhat of a dip but probably not as much as what we have.

I wonder on which topic more Sports Psychology theses have been written: 3-foot putts or free throws? My money is on the putts, since they're worth more.

Maybe it's the name--free throws, charity stripe, bonus situation. There's no performance incentive with those names.

If instead, you stepped up to the instant death stripe to shoot wager throws because the other team has put you in the prove-your-manhood situation...

VN Store

Back