Florida Postgame Report

Didn't get to watch, worked late. I looked at those stats, and it's hard to believe a college team can go 12 of 25 at the FT line.
If you would have watched, you wouldn't be talking about the poor FT shooting...that was just such a small thing compared to everything else that went wrong.

If you would have watched, you wouldn't be talking about the poor FT shooting...that was just such a small thing compared to everything else that went wrong.

No, but it was like a bee sting after you just broke your leg. It's not the most important injury but damn it still hurts.

Haha not new at all. What does Anosike do that’s good? He literally was responsible for the Florida 8-0 run in the 2nd half. He missed a wide open layup because he can’t jump off the floor. He practically misses every free throw he attempts, for a guy who’s strength is rebounding, he gets out jumped for several rebounds a game. He’s absolutely awful.
Great kid but he’s a Big South conference level player and in hurts us way more than he helps us.

I'm not saying the kid is great; but to call him the worst you've seen at UT? I can think of a ton more I'd throw before him.

Reactions: cncchris33
Learn from this game and it’s not much more than a blip on the radar, allow this game to linger and don’t take any lessons from it and it’s a problem.
Hope Bama and UF were just "blips". Guess we will find out soon enough.

Hope Bama and UF were just "blips". Guess we will find out soon enough.
Absolutely...we weren’t ever going 25-0, and I told those saying they saw 1 or 2 losses tops they were out of their damn minds. The fashion in which we lost was rough, no doubt, but again NET doesn’t take margin of loss into account and thus it’s a Q1 loss on paper. Learn from this and it’s not really a big deal, don’t and then it becomes a problem.

I said it at the beginning of the year, the lack of a true alpha is a major problem and this team will not reach its ceiling without one. The fact that we are halfway through the season and we can't definitively point to one player as "the guy" makes this team ripe for an earlier than expected exit in the tourney.

I said it at the beginning of the year, the lack of a true alpha is a major problem and this team will not reach its ceiling without one. The fact that we are halfway through the season and we can't definitively point to one player as "the guy" makes this team ripe for an earlier than expected exit in the tourney.

The lack of a PG that can break down a defense hurts even worse imo...I would trade Chandler for any guard on our team and I think we become better on both ends.

The lack of a PG that can break down a defense hurts even worse imo...I would trade Chandler for any guard on our team and I think we become better on both ends.

We miss having a dynamic PG, but put Grant Williams on this team and that cures a lot of our ailments on the offensive end and the lack of leadership. Every great team has a clear cut stud, it doesn't necessarily have to be at PG.

The base offense needs to be tweaked for this group and I wish we would run the entire game since our halfcourt offense can look bad without a bonafide scorer, but that won't change under Barnes. I don't know if we have an analytics guy on staff, but our offense generates some of the worst shots analytically (if you believe in those things).

No other way to describe it than, "AWFUL".

This team played as if they had seen the football news conference and found that football players were being given McDonalds bags with money in they, while they were being given McDonalds with actual Big Macs ONLY!

Had absolutely no motivation.

Tennessee was 4th in the SEC in the FT department entering tonight’s game at 74.4%. As bad as we were tonight don’t call us bad in an area we have been solid.
Ok well that may be the stats for the entire season but what have we shot during SEC play? It’s a problem and it needs to be addressed in practice. I’m sure Barnes is not pleased with it at all.

Missouri - 58.3%
Alabama - 65.4%
Arkansas - 76.9%
A&M - 66.7%
Vandy - 72.7%
Florida - 48%
Total Avg - 65%
Before Florida - 68.6%

Mizzou may, second time around. (if we play like this)
Typical TN. Beat Kansas and lose to Fulton HS. Should be accustomed by now I guess.
At least we will see a different style against Missou. Small ball is killing us.

Ok well that may be the stats for the entire season but what have we shot during SEC play? It’s a problem and it needs to be addressed in practice. I’m sure Barnes is not pleased with it at all.

Missouri - 58.3%
Alabama - 65.4%
Arkansas - 76.9%
A&M - 66.7%
Vandy - 72.7%
Florida - 48%
Total Avg - 65%
Before Florida - 68.6%
So, free throw shooting only counts in SEC play?

Reactions: Vol49er
I've been saying for several games that our offense was poor and most just said, "It's early. They're not this bad."

I agree, I don't think they're as bad as they played last night, but we are without a doubt incredibly inconsistent to put it kindly. Prior to last night, I don't really care what the KenPom efficiency numbers said, I have watched every single game this season and i have been concerned about the offense in each one (except St. Joe's lol).

This team lacks perimeter shooting, which is incredibly surprising considering the talent on this roster. Between Vescovi, Bailey, Springer, James, and Johnson I fully expected this team to be better. Our frontcourt also has been underwhelming.

Fulky is not the same player he was last year. I'm not sure what happened in the off-season, but the player that took Kentucky to the woodshed in Rupp last year who looked like an All-American shoulders much of the blame, IMO, for both the losses this season. He is a Senior. He was on the 2017-2018 regular season champs team and the 2018-2019 team that was #1 for FIVE weeks. He should be a vocal leader, aggressor, and have an alpha mentality.

Which leads me to my next point----this team has no leadership. There is no Grant Williams or Admiral Schofield getting in your face and making you reach deep within yourself to pull out a level you didn't know you had. Fulky and Pons are the only two players on this roster that know the feeling of being front-runners, but it doesn't seem like they've instructed any of the young bucks how to handle that.

Regardless of what we actually are right now, up until last night, we were *technically* a Top 5-10 team all season. We were the pre-season SEC favorites. We had to KNOW that each night, regardless of the record, each opponent would be salivating to have the chance to beat us. At no point this year has Florida played with the energy they had last night. Yet so far this year, I'm not seeing the alpha mentality necessary to handle being the hunted. It's been a struggle most of the year except for the Missouri game.

I'm not sure what needs to be done to get there, but this team is missing the leadership that the 2018-2019 team had. I mean that team in their SEC opener beat Georgia by 50 and never looked back. From that point forward, they looked even hungrier and never complacent. I don't see that in the composure of this team.

Until that materializes, we're a Sweet 16 team at best. I'll excuse the defensive effort last night. It happens. But some serious self-reflection is needed before Saturday.

I've been saying for several games that our offense was poor and most just said, "It's early. They're not this bad."

I agree, I don't think they're as bad as they played last night, but we are without a doubt incredibly inconsistent to put it kindly. Prior to last night, I don't really care what the KenPom efficiency numbers said, I have watched every single game this season and i have been concerned about the offense in each one (except St. Joe's lol).

This team lacks perimeter shooting, which is incredibly surprising considering the talent on this roster. Between Vescovi, Bailey, Springer, James, and Johnson I fully expected this team to be better. Our frontcourt also has been underwhelming.

Fulky is not the same player he was last year. I'm not sure what happened in the off-season, but the player that took Kentucky to the woodshed in Rupp last year who looked like an All-American shoulders much of the blame, IMO, for both the losses this season. He is a Senior. He was on the 2017-2018 regular season champs team and the 2018-2019 team that was #1 for FIVE weeks. He should be a vocal leader, aggressor, and have an alpha mentality.

Which leads me to my next point----this team has no leadership. There is no Grant Williams or Admiral Schofield getting in your face and making you reach deep within yourself to pull out a level you didn't know you had. Fulky and Pons are the only two players on this roster that know the feeling of being front-runners, but it doesn't seem like they've instructed any of the young bucks how to handle that.

Regardless of what we actually are right now, up until last night, we were *technically* a Top 5-10 team all season. We were the pre-season SEC favorites. We had to KNOW that each night, regardless of the record, each opponent would be salivating to have the chance to beat us. Yet so far this year, I'm not seeing the alpha mentality necessary to handle being the hunted. It's been a struggle most of the year except for the Missouri game.

I'm not sure what needs to be done to get there, but this team is missing the leadership that the 2018-2019 team had. I mean that team in their SEC opener beat Georgia by 50 and never looked back. From that point forward, they looked even hungrier and never complacent. I don't see that in the composure of this team.

Until that materializes, we're a Sweet 16 team at best. I'll excuse the defensive effort last night. It happens. But some serious self-reflection is needed before Saturday.

I agree with most. Fulkerson and Pons do need to step up as leaders but also be more aggressive on offense. Fulkerson needs 12+ points per night but also touches inside to be effective. When he touches it, the defense will usually double or at least shade, which would open up the outside.

As far as shooters, Vescovi was shooting 42% from three before last night. Springer is shooting 56% with 16 attempts. Bailey was 35% before last night. We have options, but they can't all miss on one given night. I wish Pons would get his shot back from 3 and be a 30-35% shooter instead of 15%. That would help, too.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Like, has anyone really seen Fulky and Pons on the court talking and leading? I'm sure it's happened a few times, but it's not something I feel like I see often. That 2018-2019 team had guys like Grant and Lamonte CONSTANTLY in your faces if you made a dumb play. Fulky just looks a bit shell-shocked at times, which is weird.

It's just a really bad game. Didn't match the effort that Florida had. We'll be alright. We just let the press and defense bother us tonight, pretty much the exact opposite of the A&M game. A&M came out really strong against us on defense, but we eventually just started carving up the defense. Not the case for this game.

VN Store

Back