Florida just absolutely eviscerated

Never posted a link before, so I hope this works. Florida just got bent over in this piece (also, this may have been mentioned in another thread). I'll say this. When the kickoff rules changed and the targeting stuff came in, I stopped paying attention as much:

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/10/college-football-attendance-decline-ncaa
The idiot picked the Vanderbilt game to make his point. It’s not Florida’s fault. Nobody can get excited about Vandy football.

Never posted a link before, so I hope this works. Florida just got bent over in this piece (also, this may have been mentioned in another thread). I'll say this. When the kickoff rules changed and the targeting stuff came in, I stopped paying attention as much:

Florida eviscerated? What a clickbait title. It’s talking about colleges in general, not just FL. Vandy at 12 in that heat? Not much probably want to sit for that blowout. Even mentions Clemson’s issues with undefeated regular seasons, they had only a few sellouts.

The link points to economic reasons for students to not attend games. No surprise.

You cast stones at UF on this issue, but UT has a bigger attendance gap to my eyes. So glass house, and all that.

The link points to economic reasons for students to not attend games. No surprise.

You cast stones at UF on this issue, but UT has a bigger attendance gap to my eyes. So glass house, and all that.

Not really. Given recent history of winning percentage and an opening loss to GSU, our attendance was pretty good.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman

Your username seems appropriate.

And talk about clickbait, this piece is hardly bending over just Florida (I guess you didn't bother to read the whole article). It's not just a UF problem, it's not even just a college football problem....it's an EVERY major sports league problem. Across the board in every sport and every league, attendance is becoming an issue. The truth is people are simply not going to live sporting events as much, for many different reasons.

And it's a problem the leagues have helped create with their TV contracts, along with home entertainment options becoming better and cheaper. Do you want to spend hundreds of dollars to go to ONE game, or do you want to take the same money and spend it on home entertainment systems that you can use for years? It's a problem that isn't going anywhere and league are going to have to figure out how to adapt. Why do you think newer stadiums keep being built smaller? The days of 100K stadiums are over; Jerry World is probably the last one we're going to see.

Most have already pointed this out, but Vandy at noon? Yawn.

And as others have also pointed out; it’s a student thing at a lot of places. I’ve been a UF season ticket holder since 1989. In the 90’s, the student section was slammed full and rocking 45 minutes before kickoff. Nowadays, it’s a slow trickle before they finally all get settled in about 10 min through the first quarter. It’s just different times.

Reactions: Wireless1
Hey Florida fans aren't the greatest but if you wanna point out fair weather fans, go south a bit to Miami.

Reactions: tbh
Hey Florida fans aren't the greatest but if you wanna point out fair weather fans, go south a bit to Miami.
Worst fans in the country IMO. I get that schools in big cities are different, but I think they’re the worst of the larger market schools.

Reactions: Shocker0
The millennial generation is already through college at this point. The undergraduate students would be Gen Z at this point.

(Though it is more fun to say at this point than "dang Gen Z.")
I guess we’re even....
They say, “Ok boomer” to me, when I’m not a boomer. 🤷‍♂️ :cool:

Uh how is Ole Miss not major yet VT is?
By having won its conference multiple times and playing in multiple major bowl games (New years 6) including a national championship game during the past 20 years.

In that same span, Ole Miss has not played in national championship game, never won its conference, only won its division once but lost the tiebreaker(and has never appeared in the SEC championship game, a distinction it shares along with UK and Vandy) and played in a total of one major bowl game.

in college in Carolina in late 60s, there was not a seat to be found in frat house basement for every SEC game there were weekends where .we would hitchhike to Athens, Bham or Knoxville

VN Store

Back