Florida Fans…

Everyone will have a first year honeymoon phase of a coach usually.

Let’s see how long he lasts as head coach if he uses that “go for it every time” mentality. He won’t last 2 seasons doing that.

C'mon man, he's not doing that against anyone else this year. He went into this game with the idea that he had to be ultra-aggressive to have any shot at winning, and he damn near pulled it off. I'm not saying whether he'll be there for two or 20 years, but in this game he did the only thing he could do to have a chance to win.

One thing no one is mentioning is how incredible it is that in year two of Heupel, given what he had when he walked in the door, a program like Florida has such respect for what Heupel has built here in this short a time that they have to use such an unprecedented strategy and risk taking just to have a prayer of winning a game. Imagine when we actually have some real talent on the defensive side. Amazing.

Let's not be too smug about this. I think Kiffin used analytics when here. Butch did too. And we already have had folks on VN critical of the Heup's game decisions regarding going for it on 4th down. We will have more criticism in the future, so we're not immune to gaffs, head scratching decisions, and outright blunders. Karma really is a batch. So be careful with the smugness.

Reactions: Lurker
I see multiple Florida fans on Twitter defending Napier’s decision to go for 2 on Saturday. Kind of weird to me considering that cost them a shot at kicking the FG at the end and sending the game to OT. I guess they are already drinking the Billy kool-aid and believing whatever he does is holy.
I like that their coach knew we were that much better than them and they decided to go for it every 4th down.

The 2 pt tries made sense cuz we were unable to stop them on those drives. Who would think we would stop them from converting? We DID stop them...but odds were we wouldn't. Give vols credit for not letting them convert.

That and he knew his D was gassed and wouldn't have been able to match us in overtime. Dude has gonads for sure. I liked his aggressiveness. Played to win. Hats off.

Florida still sucks though.
I always give a like for any hate towards the gaters, but you also said something nice and that cancels out the hate.

I felt obligated to tell you that. Lol.

I see multiple Florida fans on Twitter defending Napier’s decision to go for 2 on Saturday. Kind of weird to me considering that cost them a shot at kicking the FG at the end and sending the game to OT. I guess they are already drinking the Billy kool-aid and believing whatever he does is holy.
They're just working through the stages of grief. We know it all too well.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
He gots this paper…….he gots to do what the paper says.

The paper comes from a computer…….so you know it’s legit.

The program is fed information by people who have probably never played or coached a game of football in their life……..so it’s going to come up with the best plan of action………given by smart people………not necessarily “football” people.
Old Butch used that excuse one game too

C'mon man, he's not doing that against anyone else this year. He went into this game with the idea that he had to be ultra-aggressive to have any shot at winning, and he damn near pulled it off. I'm not saying whether he'll be there for two or 20 years, but in this game he did the only thing he could do to have a chance to win.

One thing no one is mentioning is how incredible it is that in year two of Heupel, given what he had when he walked in the door, a program like Florida has such respect for what Heupel has built here in this short a time that they have to use such an unprecedented strategy and risk taking just to have a prayer of winning a game. Imagine when we actually have some real talent on the defensive side. Amazing.
Excellent comments. There is a major talent issue on defense and a lot of folks are having trouble understanding that. Especially everywhere at DB and in depth at LB. But it is truly amazing that Heupel has this thing on such a great track this early in his tenure. I never dreamed we’d see the top 10 this early in his second season. How great is it to see everybody nationwide talking positively about UT football again after 15 years of wandering in the wilderness?

Sounds the Vandy coach a few years back in his first year where he lost his List of what to do in the game

He was trying to be the hero . He wanted to be an able to kick a FG and win the game at the end instead of a tie and go to OT.

Exactly. If not for Napier’s coaching decisions they spend 55 minutes getting curbstomped in front of 100k vol fans and 60 top recruits. He made it a game.

I thought he recognized the situation, saw he was going to get boat raced if he played straight up and went into 4 down offense anywhere on the field starting the 2nd quarter. Had he punted on those 4th downs they lose by 30 points. The 4 down offense kept his offense on the field and UT's off the field, risky but smart in this situation. They should be congratulating him on his aggressiveness instead of worrying about 2 point conversions.
He went to 4th down mode on their 1st series.

Florida got lucky...............UT got luckier.
That's why you play the game.

It might have ended again in a Gaffney play (Palmer knows it wasn't complete)..........or another prevent defense that allowed a long TD pass from gators.......I was NERVOUS! (& out of beer)
The onside kick was Beautiful (& ugly), & could have been a touchdown.

p.s. GBO
Tennessee would have to touch the ball first. The kicking team is not allowed to advance.

One think I am not personally sure of is whether or not there can be a penalty assessed for that. There's no need for one, but I've certainly seen some on the more usual muffed kicks.

I don't see it that way at all. How do you figure?

Converting low percentage 4th downs and recovering an onside kick is extremely unlikely.

Florida was lucky that it wasn't a 17+ point blowout.
His strategy actually lost the game as well as keeping it close. They only lost by 5, and he had already thrown away 5 points deliberately. If he had an ounce of sense they might well have won it without any miracles at all.

No, I think Napier thought what every historical audience member of this match-up over the years has thought...."Somehow, someway, in some strange circumstance,...Florida will win in the end". Due to our porous defense, if it weren't for a timely pressure around the QBs ankles with 2 seconds left - they could have dang well done it.

Well it’s kind of like how in the first year or two we defended questionable moves by Butch and Cornbread. Hard not to want to have hope…Napier reminds me a lot of Butch with difference being that he does know offense and how to call plays and ain’t scared to do so

Reactions: OrangeTsar
It wasn’t designed to necessarily go long. Richardson did that for better or worse. The guy was open. Poor pass defense.
4th and short...the corner bit on the stop and go. It was designed a play. The corner was sitting on the 1st down line to make a play. Good call for Fl.

He was trying to be the hero . He wanted to be an able to kick a FG and win the game at the end instead of a tie and go to OT.
I wonder, when trailing by 17 points, with 5:30 to play, would it make more sense to wait for the 2nd touchdown to go for 2? The clock was quite short, but based on the score, there's a whole lot more football that must be played for that single point to matter.

You wouldn't expect to kick 3 field goals in that amount of time, but I guess on some level it's not impossible.

Anyway, he's a dumbass. Glad it ain't my money.

Reactions: SouthKnoxVol70

VN Store

Back