Florida cancels game vs Northern Colorado

Seems entirely precautionary - isnt the hurricane not even slated to hit Florida until Sunday morning? I don't think you'll have to worry about the game being cancelled next week but I'm not sure how hard Gainesville will be hit by the flooding. Stay safe Florida-bros.

Whatever. If Jose swings around and hits the same areas in a 1-2 punch I'll feel bad and shed a tear. Florida is built for this. I'm in Florida right now, nobody cares.

Reactions: 2 people
You guys are missing something, maybe because you've never been through a cat 5 hurricane. If this path holds and this monster rolls right through the middle of Florida from the bottom up on Monday or Tuesday next week, Florida and Tennessee will NOT be playing on 9/16.

Ironically, I think we're the team that would benefit more from rest (we basically have 4.5 days rest after a 2-OT game) and Florida is the team that needs another game to get ready (their offense was dreadful vs Mich).

The latest storm update was the worse case scenario for Florida as the storm turned west and now appears to be coming straight up the Florida Peninsula.

My concern is, if 50+ players and coaches have their homes and properties destroyed and literally have the lives of family members in danger, I don't know that the Florida-Tennessee game gets played the following week.

This is bad.

You guys stay safe down there.

This will be a nothing burger in and around Gainesville imo

Last edited:
I was kidding, but as much as I would hate to have to reschedule that game or lose it there are much more important than football.

And one of those are human lives.

Yes, agree. Hopefully the Gulf Stream pulls it east and things aren't too bad. Florida people don't easily get freaked-out by hurricanes, but this latest model/track has even the hard core "ride it out" folks saying "holy #@$!"

Ironically, I think we're the team that would benefit more from rest (we basically have 4.5 days rest after a 2-OT game) and Florida is the team that needs another game to get ready (their offense was dreadful vs Mich).

I would definitely rather be playing this weekend than not. It's I-State. It shouldn't be all that taxing. We definitely have a lot of issues we need to work on in a real game. It's the 2nd game of the season. Short rest should not matter this early in the year.

Seems entirely precautionary - isnt the hurricane not even slated to hit Florida until Sunday morning? I don't think you'll have to worry about the game being cancelled next week but I'm not sure how hard Gainesville will be hit by the flooding. Stay safe Florida-bros.

Thanks, man. It's hard to understand the scale of things. It's not that there will be high winds and bad weather on 9/16 the day of the game, it's that every cop/fireman/paramedic within a 300 mile radius of Gainesville will be working emergency storm relief. The players will be helping Mom and Dad move trees off roofs and sandbags and un-board windows and escape flooded areas, etc. Hell, Florida would not even be able to practice for at least two days, maybe more.

I'm not trying to be melodramatic, I'm just informing everyone of the possibilities. Imagine trying to play a game in Houston 3-4 days after Harvey. And sure, you can move the game, but what if half the team couldn't travel because of family emergency issues?

Just something to keep an eye on.

You guys are missing something, maybe because you've never been through a cat 5 hurricane. If this path holds and this monster rolls right through the middle of Florida from the bottom up on Monday or Tuesday next week, Florida and Tennessee will NOT be playing on 9/16.

It will NOT be a cat 5. The swampland will take the brunt of the storm. That part of the world is built for hurricanes. Even the power poles are reinforced concrete hurricane proof.

They could move it to Knoxville... or Atlanta.

Not gonna be a Cat 5 by the time it gets to the Sewer.

Reactions: 3 people
It will NOT be a cat 5. The swampland will take the brunt of the storm. That part of the world is built for hurricanes. Even the power poles are reinforced concrete hurricane proof.

Florida is definitely better-equipped than every other state, but in my 40+ years on this earth I've never seen one this massive track right up the center of Florida from the bottom up. This thing is twice the size on Andrew in 1992 and that bastard almost ripped Miami off the map.

Be safe, bud. Don't mess with this one.

Reactions: 4 people
They will be well rested & fresh for us.

I really doubt that. I expect they will spend the next 7-10 days trying to help with family and destruction throughout their state. it is possible there could be so much devastation that our game gets pushed back like Florida game did in 2001.

Most social services and law enforcement in the state are going to be tied up for the next 2-3 weeks. Its possible none available to manage a football game in 9 days.

Football may be on a back burner in that state for 2-3 weeks

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back