‘23 FL WR Aidan Mizell (Florida commit)

That's odd. A lot of guys have been high on the board without visiting at this point in the recruiting cycle. I don't know. I think very, very few people do including Price and Hubbs... who are probably as close as anyone.

I watched Tate's video and honestly came away wondering what everyone else was seeing.

To clarify, I'm making a distinction between being perceived to be high on the staff's board and likely to commit. That is to say, someone like Mizell might be at the very top of our board, but unless and until he visits it's hard for me to say he's likely to jump in the boat. Could happen, of course. And also could be a "trending" thing like Kasper, who by all accounts is loving the Vols a lot despite not yet having visited IN ADVANCE OF his trip 4/9.

sjt18 said:
I watched Tate's video and honestly came away wondering what everyone else was seeing.

Wow, thought I was the only one.Five star or not he's not on my wish list,if I was told he was a three star before watching his highlight tape I would have believed it. May be alot more to him than that tape but the tape itself was a let down for a five star.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjt18
That's odd. A lot of guys have been high on the board without visiting at this point in the recruiting cycle. I don't know. I think very, very few people do including Price and Hubbs... who are probably as close as anyone.

What video? The only full season highlights he has posted on HUDL are his freshman season ones. Didn't post sophomores and posted a couple game highlights from his junior season

sjt18 said:

Wow, thought I was the only one.Five star or not he's not on my wish list,is I was told he was a three star before watching his highlight tape I would have believed it. May be alot more to him than that tape but the tape itself was a let down for a five star.

He dominates every camp he attends

To clarify, I'm making a distinction between being perceived to be high on the staff's board and likely to commit. That is to say, someone like Mizell might be at the very top of our board, but unless and until he visits it's hard for me to say he's likely to jump in the boat. Could happen, of course. And also could be a "trending" thing like Kasper, who by all accounts is loving the Vols a lot despite not yet having visited IN ADVANCE OF his trip 4/9.
I don't have anything other than video to go on.... and that isn't completely reliable. Who puts anything unimpressive on their highlight video? However just based on those videos Kasper looks the best.

Not trying to goad you guys. I'm just trying to learn. Challenging assumptions and things not easily understood is part of that process.

What video? The only full season highlights he has posted on HUDL are his freshman season ones. Didn't post sophomores and posted a couple game highlights from his junior season
Sorry. I thought you were talking about Mizell.

I watched the game highlights. Presumably a guy would post things that showed his talent. He made a couple of tough catches but he didn't get great separation or run by/away from anyone. He just didn't look particularly quick or fast. Da'Rick Rogers was a 5* recruit and not a bad college WR. But he lacked the top end speed and quickness to live up to that 5* rating. I would definitely like to see some better indication of top end speed from Tate.

Reactions: Falcons02

I watched the game highlights. Presumably a guy would post things that showed his talent. He made a couple of tough catches but he didn't get great separation or run by/away from anyone. He just didn't look particularly quick or fast. Da'Rick Rogers was a 5* recruit and not a bad college WR. But he lacked the top end speed and quickness to live up to that 5* rating. I would definitely like to see some better indication of top end speed from Tate.
Rogers was a phenomenal college WR. He just couldn’t stay out of trouble

What does top end speed have to do with 5 star talent? Either you can play or you cant. Da'Rick was north of 210 pounds, had a huge catch radius and had an almost 40 inch vertical in HS. He was a head case and loved pot and thick white women more than football (I did too when I was his age). There were times in 2011 after JH got hurt that he was catching double coverage ALL Game and still had a good season.

I personally don't care about the camp stuff, doesn't simulate real football. I watched some of his individual game highlights which I believe was from last year and still nothing. If the coaches want him then I'm all for it,I'm just a guy but from what is available to see in actual game time his highlights just didn't impress me. Additionally I really could care less about his star ranking and hope the coaches feel the same way but there are at least 7 other WR's I'd prefer over him based on what I've seen.

What does top end speed have to do with 5 star talent?
Quite alot when they start playing competition where everyone can run. Who was the last elite college WR that didn't have great speed?

Either you can play or you cant.
Yeah. And part of being able to play... is being faster and quicker than the other guy.

Da'Rick was north of 210 pounds, had a huge catch radius and had an almost 40 inch vertical in HS. He was a head case and loved pot and thick white women more than football (I did too when I was his age). There were times in 2011 after JH got hurt that he was catching double coverage ALL Game and still had a good season.
LOL... he was a "good" college player. He was not a "5*" college player.

Rogers was a phenomenal college WR. He just couldn’t stay out of trouble
Rogers was a good college WR. What was "phenomenal" about him? He had one good season. About 630 of his 1040 yds came against 5 teams- Buffalo, MTSU, Montana, Cincy (w/ Hunter), and Vandy. Wouldn't call that "phenomenal" at all. Compare that to Tillman who showed up against the best competition.

Rogers was a good college WR. What was "phenomenal" about him? He had one good season. About 630 of his 1040 yds came against 5 teams- Buffalo, MTSU, Montana, Cincy (w/ Hunter), and Vandy. Wouldn't call that "phenomenal" at all. Compare that to Tillman who showed up against the best competition.
Tillman doesn’t have elite speed

You know what makes elite speed (besides go routes)? Great route running. Tillman and other great receivers get the CB going opposite direction which makes it appear you’re really fast. Just like Jauan Jennings

Quite alot when they start playing competition where everyone can run. Who was the last elite college WR that didn't have great speed?

Yeah. And part of being able to play... is being faster and quicker than the other guy.

Guess Jennings and his 4.69 were just good. And before you say he wasn’t elite remind yourself who his offensive coaches and QB was….Dobbs excluded. And now he’s getting serious playing time in the professional league. Also I’m pretty sure I didn’t say DR was great.

Guess Jennings and his 4.69 were just good. And before you say he wasn’t elite remind yourself who his offensive coaches and QB was….Dobbs excluded. And now he’s getting serious playing time in the professional league. Also I’m pretty sure I didn’t say DR was great.
Love Jennings. Wasn't a 5*. He has carved out a role in the NFL but he's never going to be a #1 WR or get paid that way.

Oh... and you are talking about a guy who proved himself. Not a guy who looks pedestrian in those Hudl highlights.

Reactions: INDEFENSE
I explained why Tillman does that. Not elite speed, route running
He's not slow. He was also a 3* coming out of HS.

I am old enough to remember BYU's WR's consistently getting behind faster secondaries. But even then... they were "fast".

Love Jennings. Wasn't a 5*. He has carved out a role in the NFL but he's never going to be a #1 WR or get paid that way.

Oh... and you are talking about a guy who proved himself. Not a guy who looks pedestrian in those Hudl highlights.

You’re first response stated that top end speed had a lot to do with being able to play against college competition. Jennings proved that’s absolutely not true. I feel like you’re moving the goalposts a little.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
You’re first response stated that top end speed had a lot to do with being able to play against college competition.
No. I specifically asked who the last ELITE college WR was who didn't have speed.

Jennings proved that’s absolutely not true. I feel like you’re moving the goalposts a little.
You are moving them... A LOT. We started out talking about whether Tate deserves a 5* rating. You and others have talked about 3/4* guys as a diversion. Most guys who get 5* as a WR are considered fast.... how many do you know of that weren't?

JUST to stay on theme... I haven't claimed he wasn't fast. I said he didn't look like he had elite speed or quickness in his highlight videos on Hudl.

No. I specifically asked who the last ELITE college WR was who didn't have speed.

You are moving them... A LOT. We started out talking about whether Tate deserves a 5* rating. You and others have talked about 3/4* guys as a diversion. Most guys who get 5* as a WR are considered fast.... how many do you know of that weren't?

JUST to stay on theme... I haven't claimed he wasn't fast. I said he didn't look like he had elite speed or quickness in his highlight videos on Hudl.

Also the 3 fastest 40s by a WR in combine history are John Ross, Rondel Melendez and Jerome Mathis. Apparently top end speed isn’t really that big of a deal.

Reactions: StoVol
He's not slow. He was also a 3* coming out of HS.

I am old enough to remember BYU's WR's consistently getting behind faster secondaries. But even then... they were "fast".
He was a 2* and of course he’s not slow. No college WR is.

VN Store

Back