‘23 FL WR Aidan Mizell (Florida commit)

You guys are taking today really hard. I don't blame you. It sucks to lose recruiting battles.

It doesn't mean that our collective is neutered and our class is sunk.

We have always known that we had a lot of work to do. We are still moving in the right direction. You can't win them all.

I get what you are saying and no you can’t win then all. Of course you had some TN fans that have said with NIL if we want a recruit then we get them. It’s just that most of us thought because of Spyre seemingly being ahead of the game, that we would see better results than this in recruiting.

I mean not to long ago we saw Zach Smith bashing Tate. Some of the OSU fan base talking about his mom. We were led to believe we had all the momentum. Then Hartline breaks out the Lambo and all of a sudden the momentum tanks.

I don’t know about you but I M beyond tired of getting my hopes up for these true game changers only to be left with nothing. Yes we got Nico. And yes Heupel has done a tremendous job of developing WRs. But let’s face the facts. We aren’t going to be truly competitive with Bama and UGA without blue chips like Tate. You can say stars don’t matter all you want. But the facts are the teams that win at the highest level have the most highly ranked players.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
I get what you are saying and no you can’t win then all. Of course you had some TN fans that have said with NIL if we want a recruit then we get them. It’s just that most of us thought because of Spyre seemingly being ahead of the game, that we would see better results than this in recruiting.

I mean not to long ago we saw Zach Smith bashing Tate. Some of the OSU fan base talking about his mom. We were led to believe we had all the momentum. Then Hartline breaks out the Lambo and all of a sudden the momentum tanks.

I don’t know about you but I M beyond tired of getting my hopes up for these true game changers only to be left with nothing. Yes we got Nico. And yes Heupel has done a tremendous job of developing WRs. But let’s face the facts. We aren’t going to be truly competitive with Bama and UGA without blue chips like Tate. You can say stars don’t matter all you want. But the facts are the teams that win at the highest level have the most highly ranked players.
There's a lot to unpack here.

1) I'm not even sure that Tate was really ever going to consider anyone else, all things being equal. He has preferred Ohio State his entire high school career. It's possible that he thought he had to make his recruiting interesting because that's what all the 5-stars do. I don't know if we'd ever have a shot if it weren't for Spyre and what happened with Nico. We made it more interesting than it should have been, which is all we could ask for, and what Tate wanted, and he ended up where he was more than likely going to end up all along. Does it sting? Yes.

2) In the midst of us really threatening for Tate, Ohio State and Ryan Day just told the whole world, "hey, we gotta have more money if you want us to have this great roster and keep landing top tier recruits." Within a few weeks they got to where they needed to be. Staffs and recruits talk, they know how we have been doing things in the NIL era. They know how other staffs are doing things, what impresses recruits. They went all out to get what they needed to land Tate and they put it in play to get him. It stings. But it also shows how close we are to really getting these guys.

3) Which brings me to my last point. I AM so tired of losing recruits. Through every staff for the past almost 20 years. Yes, I'm sick of it. That's why I am so committed to Spyre and spreading the word, and enabling success through that program. It is the only break that we have had go our way in a long time. I'm done sitting on my hands and hoping it just works out. For the first time, our fanbase, the TRUE fans, not a select group of boosters, can influence the program's success. And we know how powerful we can be.

We have been staring at an uphill battle for years. In a lot of ways, our hole got deeper and our problems got bigger before JH got here.

We lost the most players to the portal. We are just one off-season away from a scarily thin roster and a prayer for 5 wins.

Now we've got a 5-star, program-changing QB in the pocket and we still have an entire cycle to land more players.

Look at what Clemson did. They had to wait on us to fall and they lucked into T Boyd. From there they added Watson and the rest is history. The climbed into the upper echelon. Is Hooker our Boyd and Nico our Watson? That would be great.

They bolstered their roster and built depth over YEARS by recruiting guys that wanted to be there. Once they had pillars and leadership at many positions, they won more, then they added top tier talent. It got easier.

We are staring at that same path. We won't win all the 5-stars. We won't get guys because we love them. We have a lot of work to do. We have the means to speed up that work, but it comes with time. We will get back. Spyre will help. We can only move as fast as we allow that machine to move. They need resources.

So what we had Nico posing all over the G Wagon like his last name was Mercedes.

Everything is fluid in CFB. Especially in recruiting. Everything changes, all the time. Even if White said that and it really means that we're just shutting down our best path forward, which by the way, I just can't take seriously, we could change positions again tomorrow. He's not etching this in stone.

Hooker can be our Boyd. Nico can be our Watson pre massage parlors

Last edited:
This is the guy at the top of my list this cycle.Him, Williams and the kid that went to Oregon along with two others I don't remember right now and no Tate was never on the top of my board for WR's.No reason for all the panic due to recruiting rankings, chill as others have said look at who we got that came out of nowhere late last year. We'll be fine.

isn't that more of a "you" problem, than a Tennessee recruiting problem?

Reactions: SugarCC
Could post that in about every thread right now. They all seem uphill unfortunately.
Not as much with some as others. Fans are thirsty for success and I get that. Tennessee is recruiting on a different level right now though. I know ppl will dismiss this etc but when have we legit been in on as many five stars?

Not as much with some as others. Fans are thirsty for success and I get that. Tennessee is recruiting on a different level right now though. I know ppl will dismiss this etc but when have we legit been in on as many five stars?
Pruitts spring of 2020 after his one relatively good season. Kinda like us now. Only we landed Nico and are still looking good on a handful of other blue chips.

People are crazy though.

We come in second in the running for the best WR in the class of 23 and suddenly we are doomed?

We still lead for Mauigoa, Bradley and Malik Benson.

Our recruiting is infinitely better this year than last and all we did was go 7-6 last year!

WHEN we go 8-4 or better this year we will be fine.

Pruitts spring of 2020 after his one relatively good season. Kinda like us now. Only we landed Nico and are still looking good on a handful of other blue chips.

People are crazy though.

We come in second in the running for the best WR in the class of 23 and suddenly we are doomed?

We still lead for Mauigoa, Bradley and Malik Benson.

Our recruiting is infinitely better this year than last and all we did was go 7-6 last year!

WHEN we go 8-4 or better this year we will be fine.
Idk that we lead for Benson but I hope you’re right there. Personally I’m looking at the talent we’re getting on campus for visits. We haven’t recruited this well regionally or nationally in a few decades imo. We just have to close.

Idk that we lead for Benson but I hope you’re right there. Personally I’m looking at the talent we’re getting on campus for visits. We haven’t recruited this well regionally or nationally in a few decades imo. We just have to close.
We got Nico that’s a monumental close

Reactions: Orange.
Haven't watched this kids tape yet.
Is he good??

I don't like his last name...
Not a good football name imo.
Gonna have to pass prolly...

Haven't watched this kids tape yet.
Is he good??

I don't like his last name...
Not a good football name imo.
Gonna have to pass prolly...

His parents ran track at Florida. He is a two-sport athlete in football and track.

Florida just won the national title in track. They live in Orlando.

When it comes to recruiting, nothing can ever be ruled out. But, more than likely, this kid ends up at Florida.

Honestly not sure why were kicking the tires here. Know the staff loves him but if there’s ever been a lock to a school seems like mizell and uf would be it.

Honestly not sure why were kicking the tires here. Know the staff loves him but if there’s ever been a lock to a school seems like mizell and uf would be it.
Honestly I've just come to the conclusion that 50% of these kids probably won't end up playing at the school they end up signing with by time there done with college.Transfer portal has changed the game.For example if things go sideways for Tate u have to think were the destination of choice.Good to keep and build those relationships in general u never know down the road.

Honestly I've just come to the conclusion that 50% of these kids probably won't end up playing at the school they end up signing with by time there done with college.Transfer portal has changed the game.For example if things go sideways for Tate u have to think were the destination of choice.Good to have those relationships in general..
That’s a good point

Because you never know what can happen in a recruitment. Coaches leave, seasons tank, assistants fart and/or cuss in front of grandmothers (Orgeron)...too many variables to just give up on a kid.

Reactions: bigl3327
Because a kid that runs like he does could produce gawdy numbers in this O. I would say that's one draw. And like mentioned in another thread... NIL is strategic now. If UT and others assume he goes to UF and do not pursue him then UF gets him essentially for free. That allows them more bullets to compete for other players. If for no other reason, UT and others should go after him to make sure UF's supporters have to throw significant NIL money at him.

Because a kid that runs like he does could produce gawdy numbers in this O. I would say that's one draw. And like mentioned in another thread... NIL is strategic now. If UT and others assume he goes to UF and do not pursue him then UF gets him essentially for free. That allows them more bullets to compete for other players. If for no other reason, UT and others should go after him to make sure UF's supporters have to throw significant NIL money at him.
yup. test that "how bad you want him?" attitude....i would bet that whatever we're willing to discuss with a prospect in terms of NIL etc., we're going to be willing to go that route to lock up the deal. and if that gets used as leverage somewhere else, and they pony up, good for the kid.

if not, then good for us, because we're getting a kid we want, and in theory, we're not 'overspending'.

we're not the only ones that play/will play that game, but if you do, you better be ready to live with what you offer.
c761cd26-e6d0-43cf-9ef5-8027ef727fa4_text.gif

Reactions: DarthVol1 and sjt18
yup. test that "how bad you want him?" attitude....i would bet that whatever we're willing to discuss with a prospect in terms of NIL etc., we're going to be willing to go that route to lock up the deal. and if that gets used as leverage somewhere else, and they pony up, good for the kid.

if not, then good for us, because we're getting a kid we want, and in theory, we're not 'overspending'.

we're not the only ones that play/will play that game, but if you do, you better be ready to live with what you offer.
c761cd26-e6d0-43cf-9ef5-8027ef727fa4_text.gif
Just a few years ago I was involved in a negotiation for a block of business. It was pretty frustrating because our competition was very obviously baiting us into making an offer that no one could make money on. We let them have a long standing customer. They lost money for the term of the contract and then we got them back.

UT and others will likely "overbid" in some situations like this with the belief that the other side cannot afford to let the recruit go.

His parents ran track at Florida. He is a two-sport athlete in football and track.

Florida just won the national title in track. They live in Orlando.

When it comes to recruiting, nothing can ever be ruled out. But, more than likely, this kid ends up at Florida.

Fanbulleh would be a monster x-position if he played. Really enjoy watching him run.

Y'all can have Mizell fo "realzill".

I just see a track guy. Prolly.should follow Knighton doe...

I don't know what other schools are doing just like I don't what we are doing.

What I do know, with certainty, is that if we apply ourselves and cash in on our unrivaled passion, via NIL, that we will be successful in recruiting, whether it be directly or indirectly.
We can’t play with one hand tied, if other schools go make deals out of high school without repercussions we would be stupid to not be doing it too. The system already gives the top dogs get a blind eye anyway, the NCAA is selective and slow about everything they do. GBO

Never know if you don’t make an effort especially since NIL is totally new as far as how it effects recruiting. Most of these legacy recruits we won’t win but a few we will as well. If you give up on every kid being recruited by an elite program, by their dream school, by a legacy program well you’ll never land many in recruiting at all.

VN Store

Back