'22 FL SDE Venson Sneed (Indiana commit)

Venson Sneed has never been to Tennessee’s campus, but he liked the Vols even before he received a scholarship offer from them more than two weeks ago. A couple of past trips to the Volunteer State convinced him that he might like it there, enough that he recently has considered Tennessee one of his dream schools.

Now that new Vols coach Josh Heupel’s staff is pursuing Sneed, the Class of 2022 defensive end from Winter Park (Fla.) High School said Tennessee is “number one on my list right now.” Heupel’s former staff at UCF extended an offer to him in January, a little more than two weeks before Heupel left for Tennessee, and Sneed said he was thrilled to get his second SEC offer from the Vols on Feb. 19.

“It was a big deal because it’s one of my dream schools, so I was pretty happy when I heard the news,” said Sneed, who has received offers from 10 schools. “Actually, I was driving to make a key, and I just saw a Tennessee number. I was at a red light, and I was like, ‘Oh, yeah, I’m about to pull over to the McDonald’s driveway. I don’t know who this is, but I’m about to answer.’ …

“So I was in the driveway of the McDonald’s parking lot, and then I was on FaceTime with (defensive line coach Rodney) Garner and (defensive coordinator) Tim Banks and the whole defensive staff, and they just told me.”

A new Crystal Ball pick for Tennessee

When Josh Heupel was hired to replace Jeremy Pruitt, many inside the recruiting industry assumed that the former UCF head coach would target some recruits from the Sunshine State given his familiarity with the area. The Volunteers have yet to land any 2022 commitments, but things appear to be trending in the right direction with Winter Park defensive end Venson Sneed.

Sneed told 247Sports before he checked in on Sunday that Tennessee was in his top three along with Iowa State and South Florida. The unranked pass rusher, who will get a grade from 247Sports on Wednesday, added that Heupel is really the only head coach he has talked to thus far and that he's a big fan of UT assistant Rodney Garner. Given Sneed's comments about the Volunteers, I went ahead and logged a 247Sports' Crystal Ball forecast in favor of Tennessee with a confidence score of a "5" as its more of a projection at the moment. Sneed would like to make a commitment sometime in May.
-Ivins

Maybe we can be more picky by 2023
200.gif

VN Store

Back