'19 FL RB Noah Cain (Penn State signee)

Admittedly, I’m still trying to get a real read on Noah Cain and Jaylen Ellis right now. While both definitely enjoyed their trips and will have Tennessee as “a hat on the table,” it’s still unclear the Vols did enough to close the deal with the two Texas natives. Some believe Tennessee did itself a lot of favors with Ellis this weekend, while others are concerned about the distance factor (especially compared to Baylor or Arizona). Having the final visit — around a group of commits and UT leans no less — certainly helped, though.

Meanwhile, Cain is a very savvy recruit. He’s approached the entire process with a checklist and open mind. At the moment, it appears he doesn’t have a spot at Texas or Georgia, which helps Tennessee’s chances here. On the flip side though, Cain has a longer relationship with the staffs at Penn State and Auburn and has visited both schools more than just one time. Ellis won’t make a decision until Jan. 5, but Cain will announce on TV on Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. Hopefully we’ve have more clear information in the coming days.

-Simonton

I’ll say it again, not sure what Simonton knows, but publicly all the Texas recruiting gurus have Cain as one of the top remaining priorities for them. Texas has a spot for Cain. They were most worried about Penn State, but that was before this weekend.

A few snippets of his interview in the Athletic (which you should totally subscribe to). This dude has a good head on his shoulders. I cut out a part of the interview where he talks about a crazy LSU fan accosting him in a Hi Neighbor (its a local grocery store) about going to LSU while was there with his grandmother, but it was pretty much the most Baton Rouge thing I've ever read.

How does it feel to be at the end of the recruiting process, with college just a month away?

I imagine when you were younger, getting recruited sounded like a lot of fun. Is it still fun at this point?

How much negative recruiting do you hear from coaches?

The unlimited texting and DMs and contact now, does that make your lives harder?

What part of this process has brought the most pressure or stress?

From your perspective, what do people — whether it’s fans or media — not understand about this recruiting process?
He talks about coaches being two-faced, and loyalty, and coaches not being honest and real a lot. That goes well with that tweet he sent out last night, about Pruitt being one of the "realist" coach he has met. It was the first thing I thought about, reading that. Thanks, Geaux.

Last edited:
Plus the quote about a coach trashing his alma mater...

Who else could that be among the schools recruiting him but Pruitt? Tim Horton trashing Arkansas? Doesn't look like they're in it. Dell McGee trashing Auburn? Hopefully that's it.
He said Jeremy Pruitt is the "realist" coach he has met. It's not Pruitt he's talking about.

“Penn State is probably the team to beat. The running back tradition they have there with Barkley and Sanders is impressive. He’s a similar runner, his lower body is really developed and he’s a powerful runner who runs through arm tackles. You can make a prediction for Penn State. It’s not a lock, nothing is, but I would say if I’m Penn State, I’d feel pretty good about it."

-Mike Farrell, Rivals

“Cain’s a tough one to read because he really doesn’t tip his hand to anyone. From what I can gather, that includes college coaches. Texas did seem to be trending well after Cain’s official visit – both he and his dad raved about the trip and said the Longhorns helped their chances – but the shine from that visit seems to have worn off a bit as time has gone on. You can’t totally discount Tennessee, but that choice would surprise me since the Vols are kind of a late addition to the race. My guess is that Cain winds up at Penn State, but Texas does continue to work on him and his family.”

-Jason Suchomel, OrangeBloods.com (Texas Rivals)

Who would you take, Barkley or AK?

Tough call, honestly. But I think his point here is that the current coaching staff at Penn State can hang their hat on developing Barkley and Sanders. Current Vols coaching staff can't hang their hat on a RB they weren't here for. Then again, the previous coaching staff can hardly take credit for "developing" AK either.

He didn't seem to like the fact that "one of the schools recruiting him" had their offensive coordinator just up and leave recently. These quotes don't scream Vol to me.

His wording was - without telling anyone.

The Vols knew Helton was leaving. Not the same incident he was talking about.

Tough call, honestly. But I think his point here is that the current coaching staff at Penn State can hang their hat on developing Barkley and Sanders. Current Vols coaching staff can't hang their hat on a RB they weren't here for. Then again, the previous coaching staff can hardly take credit for "developing" AK either.
Butch should be charged with coaching Malpractice the way he handled Kamara. Punishable up to 10 years no head coaching, but eligible for parole after 4 so us Vol fans can get a good chuckle at whoever hires him

VN Store

Back