‘23 FL OT Francis Mauigoa (Miami commit)

Eh this sounds like butthurt. Francis is bonafide 5star and will start wherever he goes imo.
that still doesn't mean we should out bid the highest bidder, cause, he'll start? i'm glad FM is going to get his in this process. i'm also glad we've bowed out and chosen to do other things with whatever resources we did have planned for him.

Reactions: SugarCC
Some of y’all owe the NY Yankees an apology.

As a Braves fan myself, I am aware of tons of fans who used to hate on the Yankees so hard bc they outspent everyone. “Bought their team”.

Now some in here begging, and dreaming of the day, that the Vols outspend everyone to land players.

Hilarious

I’m not hitting the panic button by any means. I want to make that clear. However, it is somewhat concerning that we might go 11-1, beat Alabama and Florida, possibly go to the playoffs, have the “#1 NIL collective” and still get beat on the trail by a 6-6 Florida team.
The difference between 8 and 11 in a recruiting class is not what determines on field results, especially with the current landscape of college football.

Also the on field results will impact more recruitments flips towards national signing day and the 2024 class. Much of the 2023 class was already committed by time the Bama game took place.

The difference between 8 and 11 in a recruiting class is not what determines on field results, especially with the current landscape of college football.

It’s less about the difference in 8 and 11 right now, and the fact that it sounds like Florida is trending for at least 3-4 other 5 stars right now which would push them into the Top 5. Maybe Top 3.

And? Just because they're boys doesn't mean he automatically comes to UT because Nico asks him too.
If u followed his recruitment u would see that they go back a ways.Fairly sure that whole Polynesian thing was being trotted out pretty hard on his visit and afterwards.I mean just seems this dude is looking for a reason to go to Florida not UT.Then again UT may have moved on and im not sure paying a guard sily money is very smart anyways.I guess If u like Jorts,Hurricanes,cocaine and possible multiple law breaking infractions then Florida is ur dream school destination.

Eh this sounds like butthurt. Francis is bonafide 5star and will start wherever he goes imo.
No...the NFL doesn't pay second round OGs the same as first round QBs. That would be dumb and not sustainable. Francis picked Miami over Tennessee because Ruiz was willing to pay him QB money and Tennessee wasn't. Florida is also chosing to overpay a handful of top recruits. Spyre doesn't have bottomless pockets and they're not blowing the budget for a handful of guys. They're sticking to what they deem to be market value for each player so we can have a more complete class that fits the needs of the program. That's a sustainable model.

What amazes me is how some fans think it's as simple as outbidding everyone no matter the costs to get whoever we want. These NIL deals span multiple years and you've got to have the money every year to pay up along with enough to pay current players to not hit the portal.

And they’ll still be ass on the field. How’s it working out for A&M?

A&M had problems before this class. I feel like people are letting this anecdotal scenario act as proof that all other teams with elite recruiting classes will fall apart. Jimbo has been an average coach at best during his time at A&M. I’m not surprised the Aggies are a mess.

It's going to be a tough balancing act for a lot of these coaches for sure. Entitled brats, mercenaries for hire, envious lockerooms, and gold-digging coeds. Not to mention opportunistic "mentors" and family members constantly telling these kids that they deserve as much as some other guy. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
This will be a far bigger issue than the kids themselves in 9 cases out of 10.

Reactions: bigl3327
A&M had problems before this class. I feel like people are letting this anecdotal scenario act as proof that all other teams with elite recruiting classes will fall apart. Jimbo has been an average coach at best during his time at A&M. I’m not surprised the Aggies are a mess.
What’s to say Napier isn’t the same? All he’s selling is hope right now. That only lasts so long.

With our current class and some of our freshman from this year, I’d prefer to close strong with some guys we are in play with Hobbs etc and then load up with plug and play from the portal if possible. Yea these guys are good, but I’ll take a proven contributor to supplement our classes next year

Stars matter, but it also matters how you get those stars and who they are. You see the sh!t show that's going on at aTm after signing the greatest class ever. You either trust this staff to build this thing right, or you don't. We've seen this before. A top 5 class on signing day doesn't automatically equal a top 5 team on the field. Let's see how our '24 class shapes up, but throwing money at a bunch of high school kids isn't the answer.
All the star system has ever demonstrated is the statistical likelihood of the different tranches finding success.

Still have to pick em right.
Still have to coach em right.

I’m not hitting the panic button by any means. I want to make that clear. However, it is somewhat concerning that we might go 11-1, beat Alabama and Florida, possibly go to the playoffs, have the “#1 NIL collective” and still get beat on the trail by a 6-6 Florida team.
Getting beat on the trail is by a metric set by recruiting services. Coaches have a recruiting board of their own that considers many more factors than that of the services. We don't get to see those boards, and never will. I do know for certain that many times those boards have some kids much higher or lower rated due to values not considered by the services.

He was never seriously interested being part of something special.

Kid just wants money.
Honestly, it's not the kid as much as it is his family. They need the money. It has always been a family decision for him, and that's why it wouldn't be hard for Florida to flip him if they're willing to pay more than Miami. Good for his family, but he isn't worth investing that much of the NIL budget for one player. You could recruit an entire o-line for what they're paying Mauigoa.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
Has it ever been publicly stated how much they paid for him?As far as I know it's just rumors thrown around or someone's "sources".I doubt you would ever see most the actual numbers these kids are getting.How schools operate or do business will wanna be kept a close guarded secret I bet.I mean until we get some future clarity on NIL or get a few years behind us to let the chips fall were all most likely going to be throwing crap against the wall hoping it sticks.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Had he committed to UT with the same NIL you’d be singing a different tune. It’s all business.
you're missing the point. i dont' think anyone here under the current NIL situation CFB is now in is against the money going to the kids.

but if that's THE deciding factor for the kid....that's where this debate's space is right now.

Had he committed to UT with the same NIL you’d be singing a different tune. It’s all business.

Except it’s insane to offer a ridiculous amount of money for an OL.

Nico is the exception but he genuinely loves the coaches and the direction this program is headed.

Francis has never gave me that vibe.

VN Store

Back