‘23 FL OT Francis Mauigoa (Miami commit)

His company is completely separate from his personal money. Any money he pays for NIL is liquid. If anything he might be making out big time from this deal if it’s a pump and dump where he offloaded at open.

Regardless, the companies shares won’t affect his net worth
His net worth was always connected to his stock valuation. How do you think Bezos and Gates are valued? And yet most stock is highly liquid too...fairly diversified not a problem.

Imagine having $20 billion in worth a few months ago while "offering/guaranteeing" recruits on handshake deals totaling tens of millions. No big deal, huh?

Now imagine losing a vast majority of that...does he stick to his promises? Since most of those (non-CA) kids couldn't sign deals anyway, they were mere handshake promises.

Big difference guaranteeing a fraction of your worth vs maybe 10% or less (cash value...maybe not even taking into account various option plays and other obligations).

Reactions: HalfullVol
His net worth was always connected to his stock valuation. How do you think Bezos and Gates are valued? And yet most stock is highly liquid too...fairly diversified not a problem.

Imagine having $20 billion in worth a few months ago while "offering/guaranteeing" recruits on handshake deals totaling tens of millions. No big deal, huh?

Now imagine losing a vast majority of that...does he stick to his promises? Since most of those (non-CA) kids couldn't sign deals anyway, they were mere handshake promises.

Big difference guaranteeing a fraction of your worth vs maybe 10% or less (cash value...maybe not even taking into account various option plays and other obligations).
nerds-mad.gif

I think only a perfect storm could facilitate a flip for Mauigoa. Continued contact with Nico, and utter failure by the 'Canes on the field. I don't think it's gonna be over NIL. If the "canes struggle and Nico stays in his ear, maybe he decides he'd rather play here. I don't think it's going to happen, but it's the only shot I reasonably see.

I think only a perfect storm could facilitate a flip for Mauigoa. Continued contact with Nico, and utter failure by the 'Canes on the field. I don't think it's gonna be over NIL. If the "canes struggle and Nico stays in his ear, maybe he decides he'd rather play here. I don't think it's going to happen, but it's the only shot I reasonably see.
He’s at Miami for the money. He will stay at Miami for the money. There’s no scenario where Tennessee offers close to what Miami did. I would be pissed if we did offer a single Olineman what Miami did.

If this were about performance or fit he would be at Tennessee already.

Reactions: HalfullVol
He’s at Miami for the money. He will stay at Miami for the money. There’s no scenario where Tennessee offers close to what Miami did. I would be pissed if we did offer a single Olineman what Miami did.

It's like you didn't even read my post before responding....

Reactions: TitanicVolz

Bro Francis one nite stand ur wife or something?You seem super butt hurt over Miami.You sound pretty naive I figure money had alot to do with it before u start that bs again unfortunately I have common sense.Taking away from a kid that didn't give a sh*t about us 3 months ago is childish.Give UT credit for taking us from Who the Eff is UT to legit almost committing and move on with ur life...

Miami offered a ridiculous amount of money and Spyre wasn’t going to out match that.

I’m sure Francis genuinely liked Tennessee. However, like many people has said, it was more money for him and his family.

I do think Miami will fail miserably this year. They’re not the “U” from the 80’s anymore.

I never understood why a method for getting a company listed (i.e., via a SPAC) influenced people’s valuation of its underlying business. The hyper boom, if there was one, was doomed from the start.

Don't underestimate the foresight of markets. An isolated financial bubble can be attributed to popular delusions and the madness of crowds. When you have a decade of rapid price appreciation in stocks and govt debt and junk bonds and land and houses and cryptocurrencies and non-fungible tokens and fine art, etc., that may signal an impending currency problem. People are scrambling for non-cash havens for their wealth and have been for a while now, even if it means taking excessive risk.

Last edited:

The “company” just went public. What happens is he makes a ton of money selling those shares to the public. Whatever he keeps changes in value. He’s theoretically made a boatload of money from the shares he sold to the public. One question is what exactly is this company and what percentage of his net worth does it make? And considering this is a low value stock, the real question is the nature of this whole public offering. Often times these low dollar stock offerings are essentially worthless companies that are made public to only make the money from the shares sold in the initial offering.

My guess is that’s why it’s under investigation

Reactions: wisvol22
Miami offered a ridiculous amount of money and Spyre wasn’t going to out match that.

I’m sure Francis genuinely liked Tennessee. However, like many people has said, it was more money for him and his family.

I do think Miami will fail miserably this year. They’re not the “U” from the 80’s anymore.
If that's the case, I'm glad we didn't match the offer. Guys like that I won't miss.

The “company” just went public. What happens is he makes a ton of money selling those shares to the public. Whatever he keeps changes in value. He’s theoretically made a boatload of money from the shares he sold to the public. One question is what exactly is this company and what percentage of his net worth does it make? And considering this is a low value stock, the real question is the nature of this whole public offering. Often times these low dollar stock offerings are essentially worthless companies that are made public to only make the money from the shares sold in the initial offering.

My guess is that’s why it’s under investigation
On top of that after a month he can buy back his shares at a depressed value when a lot of people freak and try to offload the stock they “made a bad call” on.

And I think the situation you describe in regards to it being a worthless company is less likely and less provable than insider trading amongst officers to manipulate market prices.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
Miami and Ruiz will HAVE to follow through on these "hand shake deals". I know technically Miami is not part of it, but they still are. Can you imagine if all those NIL deals fall through? It would be the modern day version of the death penalty for them. At a time of such conference instability, they can't afford that.

he was probably going to Oregon before Cristobal left for Miami. It wasn't only NIL

He was favored to go to Oregon when they were there. AP hinting before he committed that money would be only reason for Miami was just lazy.

Vols also got involved late. Didn’t even make his top 13 originally. Miami did.

If the family needed relocation money and liked the Miami coaches, it looks like an easy decision to me. Heck I would move to south Florida for double what UT offered. I really hope that the U is back. It’s not going to hurt our recruiting that often, but it will hurt UF.

Reactions: Volunteer16
That money will be found/donated/given/taken care of. FM ain't coming here. We swung hard and missed. Best we move on and celebrate Umarov et al.
I agree money will be there from Miami. However, on the VQ podcast today they said we would continue to recruit him (edit: that was Lucas Simmons)

Last edited:
I agree money will be there from Miami. However, on the VQ podcast today they said we would continue to recruit him
Hale yeah. We should.

Could see us looking much better this year...plus Miami could potentially appear conference-less for the time being...on top of Ruiz's problems.

Too many variables. This isn't a situation you give up on imo.

VN Store

Back